VCU Media Mentions

Who_Dat_Ninja

Top Member
Dec 3, 2016
Not that it matters, but I wouldn’t have voted us in the top 25.

We should have blown the green right off the jerseys of those fools. We didn’t, so there ya have it. Plenty more great opportunities to get right back in there.
I completely agree with you... I wouldn't have voted us on there, however since we were already on the top 25 and we won... they shouldn't have taken us off... either way, it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I like any snub VCU gets because it just adds to motivate our boys!

But I haven't seen a TOP 25 team in either of our showings this year. Granted the season IS young; and everyone is going to be a little rusty.

It'll come though!

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I completely agree with you... I wouldn't have voted us on there, however since we were already on the top 25 and we won... they shouldn't have taken us off... either way, it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I like any snub VCU gets because it just adds to motivate our boys!

But I haven't seen a TOP 25 team in either of our showings this year. Granted the season IS young; and everyone is going to be a little rusty.

It'll come though!
Same. I prefer getting snubbed from the polls because it has zero impact on seeding or selection and it can give us that chip on our shoulder.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
How many P5s have we beaten since SS? So far, one per year for the past 4, Oregon St, LSU, Cal. and UT.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Reactions: Who_Dat_Ninja

ramzilla

Top Member
Mar 16, 2013
I would much rather be in the top 25 because we shouldn’t need to be snubbed or be an underdog to be able to win. I am really happy that we won both our games - showed a lot of grit - but the day we start the season really strong and win OOC conferences will be a big turning point in my mind.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I would much rather be in the top 25 because we shouldn’t need to be snubbed or be an underdog to be able to win. I am really happy that we won both our games - showed a lot of grit - but the day we start the season really strong and win OOC conferences will be a big turning point in my mind.
I agree with the last part. The top 25 has nothing to do with getting in the NCAA tournament, so I really don't care about it.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I agree with the last part. The top 25 has nothing to do with getting in the NCAA tournament, so I really don't care about it.
I know it isn't supposed to have any impact of the NCAA committee, and I know it isn't one of the acknowledged criteria, but I have to think that they stop and think harder about excluding a team that is in the top 25 knowing that there will be howls if they do. Most humans are human, even when they are doing the NCAA's bidding.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I know it isn't supposed to have any impact of the NCAA committee, and I know it isn't one of the acknowledged criteria, but I have to think that they stop and think harder about excluding a team that is in the top 25 knowing that there will be howls if they do. Most humans are human, even when they are doing the NCAA's bidding.
Totally agree. Of course it has some impact in terms of how the committee approaches their task even though it's not part of the official ctriteria for selection.

We should be past the "we have to have a chip to win big games," or "we have to sneak-up on people," or "we have to be the underdog to win." If you want to take the program to the next level and reap the national attention that is attendant to it along with moving-up the recruiting food chain you need to learn how to win with a target on your back. This particular edition of the Rams has a wealth of experience including 5th year seniors. It's time to show the basketball world what we can do target not withstanding. I was a bit surprised that we dropped out of the top-25 since we won our first two games but I concede in no way did we look like a top-25 team. I sat there on the 50 yard line and just did not see it. We have to play more cerebral and with more focus. Hopefully that will come to fruition and we can regain entry in the top-25.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
I'm going to just chalk this up to the fact there are enough LSU haters on the committee that they didn't want to give LSU a top 25 game.

Reactions: 92VCUpikapp

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Same. I prefer getting snubbed from the polls because it has zero impact on seeding or selection and it can give us that chip on our shoulder.
Why would any school want to be snubbed from a Top 25 poll? That's just an insane thought process. How about playing up to Top 25 standards and remaining in the Top 25. Top 25 polls might not impact seeding or selection, but they sure do impact recruiting. And, I not so sure a Top 25 ranking has "zero" impact on seeding/selection as you suggest.

There is a ton of exposure that goes with being ranked and posters on these boards have got to stop with the "we play better with a chip on our shoulder" mentality. If VCU teams only rise up when they have a chip on their shoulders, then this program has a lot more growing to do mentally. VCU earned a Top 25 spot in preseason. Now it's time to prove to everyone that we belong there. And that is NOT by beating North Texas by 3 on your home floor.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
We were #25, had an ok week and then were basically bumped by a program or two who were similarly ranked just outside the arbitrary cut point, but had a better week. Nothing out of sorts, no reputational hit, hopefully not a motivational matter, no big deal. We’ll keep winning.