VCU Media Mentions

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I was a bit surprised that we dropped out of the top-25 since we won our first two games but I concede in no way did we look like a top-25 team. I sat there on the 50 yard line and just did not see it. We have to play more cerebral and with more focus. Hopefully that will come to fruition and we can regain entry in the top-25.
I totally agree @RAMification. If we are sitting there watching the game and don't think VCU looks like a Top 25 team, then why should the media/coaches think any differently. There is way too much veteran talent on this team to squeeze out a 3 point win against a team like North Texas. And to be truthful, VCU had offensive mental lapses against St. Francis. When you are ranked 25th, there is no margin for error if you want to continue to be ranked.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The fact of the matter is most AP voters don't watch more than a handful of games and many only truly pay attention to results for the usual brand-name schools. I like being ranked, but below 10 or so it's just personal preference/herd mentality.
Yes, Big Tahuna, you are quite right, but there are certain perquisites that go with being in the top 25. Like having your scores scrolled at the bottom of the screen on game night, always having your score come up when you hit the score button on game night, and certainly the extra attention that a ranked team gets in the sports media.

I’ll bet even you are a bit disappointed that we are not ranked.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Why would any school want to be snubbed from a Top 25 poll? That's just an insane thought process. How about playing up to Top 25 standards and remaining in the Top 25. Top 25 polls might not impact seeding or selection, but they sure do impact recruiting. And, I not so sure a Top 25 ranking has "zero" impact on seeding/selection as you suggest.

There is a ton of exposure that goes with being ranked and posters on these boards have got to stop with the "we play better with a chip on our shoulder" mentality. If VCU teams only rise up when they have a chip on their shoulders, then this program has a lot more growing to do mentally. VCU earned a Top 25 spot in preseason. Now it's time to prove to everyone that we belong there. And that is NOT by beating North Texas by 3 on your home floor.
If the polls included some sort of committee during the season that were held to an objective standard of evaluation, then I'd care. But as it exists now it's a terrible measure of success. I do agree it matters a little for recruiting, but what matters more is advancing to the 2nd weekend. Hard to do that as an 8 seed. Much easier to do as a 4, 5, or 6.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Yes, Big Tahuna, you are quite right, but there are certain perquisites that go with being in the top 25. Like having your scores scrolled at the bottom of the screen on game night, always having your score come up when you hit the score button on game night, and certainly the extra attention that a ranked team gets in the sports media.

I’ll bet even you are a bit disappointed that we are not ranked.
Oh, I totally am! I love perquisites :D

I think we will return soon. I just don't have a whole lot of faith in the AP poll and none at all in the coaches' poll. Even so, better in than out.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
If the polls included some sort of committee during the season that were held to an objective standard of evaluation, then I'd care. But as it exists now it's a terrible measure of success. I do agree it matters a little for recruiting, but what matters more is advancing to the 2nd weekend. Hard to do that as an 8 seed. Much easier to do as a 4, 5, or 6.
Actually 5 seeds have .500 or less winning % against 12 seeds over last 10 years or so.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
For recruiting, the most important (realistic) factor is dancing regularly (which we do). Second weekend NCAA appearances are very rare for non-P6 schools........only 26 of them out of 160 total Sweet 16 appearances from 2010-19 (a decade). Gonzaga has 5 of the 26. Wichita St, San Diego St, and Butler (pre-P6) have 2 each. 15 other schools have 1 each, one of which is VCU’s in 2011. It’s difficult enough just to make the dance as a non-P6. It’s nearly impossible to get to the Sweet 16 as a non-P6. Over 260+ non-P6 schools and an average of 2.6 Sweet 16 appearances per year amongst them (1% of non-P6 schools annually).

Just keep dancing annually (which is all that can realistically be expected of any A-10 program) and we’ll still be way ahead of the game (recruiting-wise) for our non-P6 peer group. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Reactions: Ramdog

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
For recruiting, the most important (realistic) factor is dancing regularly (which we do). Second weekend NCAA appearances are very rare for non-P6 schools........only 26 of them out of 160 total Sweet 16 appearances from 2010-19 (a decade). Gonzaga has 5 of the 26. Wichita St, San Diego St, and Butler (pre-P6) have 2 each. 15 other schools have 1 each, one of which is VCU’s in 2011. It’s difficult enough just to make the dance as a non-P6. It’s nearly impossible to get to the Sweet 16 as a non-P6. Over 260+ non-P6 schools and an average of 2.6 Sweet 16 appearances per year amongst them (1% of non-P6 schools annually).

Just keep dancing annually (which is all that can realistically be expected of any A-10 program) and we’ll still be way ahead of the game (recruiting-wise) for our non-P6 peer group. Anything beyond that is gravy.
We have the potential to be what Xavier was, which is a non Power conference school that either got to the S16 or was in contention for it most years. I think we can be a program that pulls in 1-2 top 50-100 players a year. I'm happy that we make the tournament almost every year, but that's not the ceiling for this program.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Again... Why would you want to be snubbed from the Top 25 rankings as you suggest? If media and fans didn't focus on Top 25 rankings, there would not be any rankings. Whether you like the rankings or not, they are out there and it does VCU absolutely no good to want to be snubbed from them. Being ranked brings increased exposure to your program, which helps in national TV exposure, recruiting and increased donor revenue. Also, some P5 schools seem to be more willing to play other Top 25 teams OOC vs. non-ranked quality mid-major teams.

Yes, the ultimate objective is to make the NCAA's and advance, but there is a ton of basketball to be played and a ton of exposure to be gained during the season that VCU should very much care about.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
News Flash!!! Regarding recruiting, VCU is recruiting against P-6 school more than they are recruiting against non-P-6 schools. The goal is not to become complacent in the A-10. VCU needs to position itself for the next round of conference realignment, and that's not done by just being happy you made the NCAA tournament. Just like Gonzaga, VCU's peer group needs to be P-6 schools, not non-P-6 schools.

Reactions: umwram

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
News Flash!!! Regarding recruiting, VCU is recruiting against P-6 school more than they are recruiting against non-P-6 schools. The goal is not to become complacent in the A-10. VCU needs to position itself for the next round of conference realignment, and that's not done by just being happy you made the NCAA tournament. Just like Gonzaga, VCU's peer group needs to be P-6 schools, not non-P-6 schools.
Ace Baldwin: UConn, Clemson, Miami, S. Carolina, K State, Providence, GTown, Seton Hall
Jamir Watkins: Seton Hall, VT, St Johns, WVa
Josh Banks: VT, Providence
Mikeal Brown-Jones: Penn State, Temple, Villanova*

There is your recruiting peer group.