VCU Media Mentions

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Posters on these boards are downplaying two 3 point losses to Purdue and Tennessee, yet the media drops VCU down 21 spots in the rankings. And talking about resumes, where is LSU in this week's rankings. They didn't even receive any votes.
I haven't seen anyone downplaying the losses this weekend. If anything, the cliff jumping has been way overboard.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
The positive is our conference schedule presents greater opportunities for our resume. Not many thought Dayton would be ranked and especially most did not expect ur to be flirting with top 25 votes. We'll get more opportunities, just need to take advantage of them.
Yes. Dayton will very likely be a Q1 home game for us. Wichita St, Rhody, Richmond road games will be Q1 chances and potentially SLU and Mason as well. LSU has a strong shot of finishing top 30. Sure the losses hurt but we'll be fine.

Reactions: Ramcounter

thelonious_chunk

Top Member
Jun 17, 2014
at WSU
at Dayton
at richmond
Dayton at home
at Davidson (maybe)

These are our remaining chances for good wins based on current kenpom which I know is still skewed towards last year. I think we'd need to win our next 9 games to get ranked again. We've had streaks like that historically.

Yes. Dayton will very likely be a Q1 home game for us. Wichita St, Rhody, Richmond road games will be Q1 chances and potentially SLU and Mason as well. LSU has a strong shot of finishing top 30. Sure the losses hurt but we'll be fine.
I trust your expertise here. What makes you high on Rhody, SLU, Mason?

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013
I haven't seen anyone downplaying the losses this weekend. If anything, the cliff jumping has been way overboard.
I always wonder what these guys want us to do...

Jump off the cliff with them? If every single person in the forums were freaking the eff out all weekend, would they be happy?

"Ah yes, finally you all understand the pain that only I felt.

I, the only TRUE fan on these boards, see the end is nigh. Our sons are spent. Our line has ended. Coaches have deserted us. The Marcus's betrayed me. Abandon your posts! Flee, flee for your lives!"

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I always wonder what these guys want us to do...

Jump off the cliff with them? If every single person in the forums were freaking the eff out all weekend, would they be happy?

"Ah yes, finally you all understand the pain that only I felt.

I, the only TRUE fan on these boards, see the end is nigh. Our sons are spent. Our line has ended. Coaches have deserted us. The Marcus's betrayed me. Abandon your posts! Flee, flee for your lives!"

You know what. This is a fan message board. It is no different than any other school's message board. And yes, fans are allowed to be pi$$ed when their team underachieves. This is NOT YMCA basketball. And the light at the end of the tunnel just dimmed a bit when your team goes from being ranked #20 in the nation to receiving the same number of votes as fur and tied for 41st on the list in one week's time.

Reactions: G-Man and Ramdog

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
You know what. This is a fan message board. It is no different than any other school's message board. And yes, fans are allowed to be pi$$ed when their team underachieves. This is NOT YMCA basketball. And the light at the end of the tunnel just dimmed a bit when your team goes from being ranked #20 in the nation to receiving the same number of votes as fur and tied for 41st on the list in one week's time.
Under achieved? We lost to two teams rated anywhere from 15 to 25 ahead of us in kenpom, by three points each. Underachieved indeed.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I trust your expertise here. What makes you high on Rhody, SLU, Mason?
I think it's also fair to project these teams being just outside the top 75. Think Rhody is super close to figuring it all out. They took WVU to the brink in Morgantown. I think they've accepted that there are exactly three guys who can shoot it beyond 10 feet: Dowtin, Martin and Russell and have figured out ways to get them the most shots. That's helping their offensive efficiency. If they clean up their 2 point defense they are gonna be flat out nasty in A10 play. Should finish 9-3 in the non-conference.

SLU is close to competing for an at-large except for the fact that they're the worst free throw shooting team I've ever seen.

Mason went 3-0 on a neutral court last week and beat Nebraska by 20 and a good New Mexico State team. Not quite ready for an at-large, I don't think, but I'm really interested to see what they do at TCU in a few weeks. Justin Kier was injured and didn't even play significant minutes until their last game.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Under achieved? We lost to two teams rated anywhere from 15 to 25 ahead of us in kenpom, by three points each. Underachieved indeed.
Did you watch both games? Forget kenpom. You can honestly say VCU didn't underachieve on both of those games? Friday was a comedy of errors and Saturday, VCU didn't even show up until the second half. My eye test says they underachieved in both games.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Posters on these boards are downplaying two 3 point losses to Purdue and Tennessee, yet the media drops VCU down 21 spots in the rankings. And talking about resumes, where is LSU in this week's rankings. They didn't even receive any votes.
You can’t really look at it that way “dropping 21 spots”, as if the poll participants are a monolithic representation of the media. For instance, let’s say every single AP voter considers us to be the #26 team in the country. In that case, we don’t get any votes and are not even listed—the others receiving votes is merely an artifact of the polling construct—it just means that someone or two people felt we were one of the 25 best teams. Truth be told, any spot outside the top 15 or so is more than likely an arbitrary outcome of the polling method. I’m assuming of course, that the Top 15 teams show up on every submitted ballot.

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013
I didn't shrug my shoulders and skip home from the bar this weekend... I was pissed and chugged too much whiskey and then did it again the next night and felt like garbage for 48 hours straight.

But then I moved on with my VCU-related life and let it live in the past. I don't see the point in whining about it or harping about it anymore. It is what it is.

I'd rather analyze causes, think about potential changes, wonder why certain players did certain things, think about style vs style matchups in the future etc.

Anyone can talk about whatever they want I don't care, I just don't see why people fight so hard to convince everyone else about how big or not big of a deal things like this are.

What's the point in listing every P5 school we've lost to over the years, bring up players who left, compare us vs old teams and stuff like that? To wallow in more misery? Might as well bring up JQs foul or Bris injury or losing to Butler...

Yeah, we aren't Duke. We lose winnable games sometimes. We don't have 7'3 centers with 1 and done PGs and guards. We have a coach that was our administration's "third choice" and have to sell tickets to Saxon Shoes sometimes to keep a meaningless streak alive.

So?

Dropping out of a poll and being tied with UofR also sucks.

Ok.

Now that we agree, what do you want to talk about?

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Man...this place is like some kind of cult...you show some disappointment in what just transpired and everybody jumps in and tries to control the narrative.

We went 0-2 and got bounced out of the top twenty....who the phuck is even remotely happy about that.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Man...this place is like some kind of cult...you show some disappointment in what just transpired and everybody jumps in and tries to control the narrative.

We went 0-2 and got bounced out of the top twenty....who the phuck is even remotely happy about that.
No one is happy about it. That is the point. People that keep bringing it up are just beating a dead horse.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I think it's also fair to project these teams being just outside the top 75. Think Rhody is super close to figuring it all out. They took WVU to the brink in Morgantown. I think they've accepted that there are exactly three guys who can shoot it beyond 10 feet: Dowtin, Martin and Russell and have figured out ways to get them the most shots. That's helping their offensive efficiency. If they clean up their 2 point defense they are gonna be flat out nasty in A10 play. Should finish 9-3 in the non-conference.

SLU is close to competing for an at-large except for the fact that they're the worst free throw shooting team I've ever seen.

Mason went 3-0 on a neutral court last week and beat Nebraska by 20 and a good New Mexico State team. Not quite ready for an at-large, I don't think, but I'm really interested to see what they do at TCU in a few weeks. Justin Kier was injured and didn't even play significant minutes until their last game.
I am very impressed on how well you know this stuff. It's very informative, easy to read and comprehend. I hope you make it to the national scene with your work. You are really very good at this.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
And this is why rankings are a joke. They are certainly important from a marketing and recruiting perspective, but some AP writers have been known, and stated publicly, that they will vote for a team just so they can get recognition in the “others receiving votes category”, particularly when it is a non-P6 school.

Liberty is exhibit A. They are 9-0 against a horribly weak schedule, including a non-D1 school. They’ve got another non-D1 game upcoming. Yet somehow Liberty has entered the rankings and LSU, who won their only game of the week by 15 against a favorite in the MVC, falls out. The rankings are a joke on some level, and it is a shame that it can matter so much on another level.