VCU Media Mentions

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
You can’t really look at it that way “dropping 21 spots”, as if the poll participants are a monolithic representation of the media. For instance, let’s say every single AP voter considers us to be the #26 team in the country. In that case, we don’t get any votes and are not even listed—the others receiving votes is merely an artifact of the polling construct—it just means that someone or two people felt we were one of the 25 best teams. Truth be told, any spot outside the top 15 or so is more than likely an arbitrary outcome of the polling method. I’m assuming of course, that the Top 15 teams show up on every submitted ballot.
There’s also the fact that many pollsters don’t actually watch the games, while others vote for a local team just so they can get some recognition.

Reactions: RamStrut

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Man...this place is like some kind of cult...you show some disappointment in what just transpired and everybody jumps in and tries to control the narrative.

We went 0-2 and got bounced out of the top twenty....who the phuck is even remotely happy about that.
There is a middle ground that gets lost in all of the back and forth. Yes, it stinks that we lost two. Heck, we fell out of the rankings AFTER WINNING a game a couple of weeks ago. LSU won a game against a pretty good team by 15 last week and didn’t even get a single vote this week, so falling out of the rankings doesn’t bother me much at all. That’s the middle ground: losing two winnable games stinks, but there is still a long way to go, so it shouldn’t hurt us much at all depending on what we do from here.

Reactions: RamStrut

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Man...this place is like some kind of cult...you show some disappointment in what just transpired and everybody jumps in and tries to control the narrative.

We went 0-2 and got bounced out of the top twenty....who the phuck is even remotely happy about that.
Don't think anyone is happy about it but some of us aren't hitting the panic button yet. Where does bitching and complaining get anyone? It's just a whole lot of wasted energy. At the same time I understand the disappointment. Fortunately, we have a few more good opportunities to still have a special season.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
And this is why rankings are a joke. They are certainly important from a marketing and recruiting perspective, but some AP writers have been known, and stated publicly, that they will vote for a team just so they can get recognition in the “others receiving votes category”, particularly when it is a non-P6 school.

Liberty is exhibit A. They are 9-0 against a horribly weak schedule, including a non-D1 school. They’ve got another non-D1 game upcoming. Yet somehow Liberty has entered the rankings and LSU, who won their only game of the week by 15 against a favorite in the MVC, falls out. The rankings are a joke on some level, and it is a shame that it can matter so much on another level.
The rankings are what they are....everybody knows it...but I along with 99.9% of the fans of a team want their school to be ranked

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Don't think anyone is happy about it but some of us aren't hitting the panic button yet. Where does bitching and complaining get anyone? It's just a whole lot of wasted energy. At the same time I understand the disappointment. Fortunately, we have a few more good opportunities to still have a special season.
no panic here
What energy?...and bitching like a little child on sports message board is cathartic... If I wanted a group hug I would be on Facebook;)
I will stop bitching right after we curb stomp those losers from Norfolk ...that will be like therapy.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
The huge drop is due to....well losing twice but it is also the mid-major effect. TN got beat by Fl St...one loss (and it is listed as a 3 point loss but they were being beat up most of the game) and they drop a whopping 4 places.
The midmajor effect is where if you have two equal teams, one a P5 and one a MM similarly ranked in the top 25, and they both play very similar opponents and lose, the MM will tumble much farther down the ranking list than the P5 team 99.99% of the time.
Nonetheless, we didn't take care of business they way we should have. We didn't take advantage of the opportunity we were given. We were in both games to the end but unable to pull out the win.

Nov 20, 2009
Did you watch both games? Forget kenpom. You can honestly say VCU didn't underachieve on both of those games? Friday was a comedy of errors and Saturday, VCU didn't even show up until the second half. My eye test says they underachieved in both games.
Friday was an embarrassment. Particularly in the first 10 minutes of the game.
We could have won the Tennessee game that nobody really could watch, and still have been well outside of the Top 25 poll today.
Sure, the A-10 will present some nice opportunities to improve our resume. We will see if the Rams are worthy of the pre-season #1 pick. I hope so. But to be so, we need to play better than we did during the month of November. And not just a little better.

May 19, 2015
Friday was an embarrassment. Particularly in the first 10 minutes of the game.
We could have won the Tennessee game that nobody really could watch, and still have been well outside of the Top 25 poll today.
Sure, the A-10 will present some nice opportunities to improve our resume. We will see if the Rams are worthy of the pre-season #1 pick. I hope so. But to be so, we need to play better than we did during the month of November. And not just a little better.
Now the trolls show up.

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
Yeah. I’m a troll. because our teams’s performance this past weekend was bad enough to make me feel the need to vent. Sorry if you don’t care for my opinion.
Okay, I hear all the negative and the disappointment which certainly is warranted. However, I was there, along with many other VCU fans and this is what I saw:
MSS may be the most overachieving forward/center in the A 10 if not in an even larger context.
Our defense was solid 95% of the time with a few lapses when some of our less experienced guys got caught in back screens. But we played a much taller team and stayed with them the entire game. Then lost to a team with a great point guard who was held to 9 points until a last second heave. The problem was Turner controlled the pace of the game and we need to do better when others do that to us.
DJ showed he can play with anyone and can hit big shots or take it strong to the rim when needed.
Williams showed he is a bundle to handle but needs to work his way into playing shape throughout the OOC schedule.
Bones is totally legit and gives us a whole new way to utilize ME and I think that will happen in the future.
Curry needs just a dash more confidence but he will embarrass opposing players as the season matures.
Douglas can be a monster on defense and continues to evolve offensively.
Simms is steady and works his butt off to win the game.
Finally, we need ME and IV to play within themselves and trust that their teammates have their backs.
Lastly, we turned the ball over 20 times against Purdue and then corrected that against Tennessee. We gave up a ton of offensive rebounds to Tenn in the first half and then corrected in the second. We learn fast and I expect us to continue that trend the rest of the season. Sorry to be so long winded but I too was bitterly disappointed but there was plenty to be positive about.

Nov 20, 2009
I can appreciate choosing to see the positive things...and sure, while the results were disappointing, it’s not the end of the world. We can still have a good OOC season result, and the A-10 and post season is still in front of us. My concern with how we played is that this is a senior laden team that has talked as if it was approaching the season with a chip on its shoulder and with something to prove. At this juncture and experience level, we should not be turning the ball over like we have in most of our games. With a few exceptions, I don’t see improvement from last year.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I can appreciate choosing to see the positive things...and sure, while the results were disappointing, it’s not the end of the world. We can still have a good OOC season result, and the A-10 and post season is still in front of us. My concern with how we played is that this is a senior laden team that has talked as if it was approaching the season with a chip on its shoulder and with something to prove. At this juncture and experience level, we should not be turning the ball over like we have in most of our games. With a few exceptions, I don’t see improvement from last year.
Last year both of those squads would have handled us easily early in the season...

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Last second heave?…. More like a well run play to get your best player a wide open look from the short corner...he set his feet and took the shot in rhythm.
Don't need to blow out someone else's candle to make yours burn brighter. Barnes drew up a winner.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Senior laden team. That’s what’s most disappointing to me. This is the year for VCU to make some real noise. Even average first halves in either of those games would have resulted in wins.