VCU Media Mentions

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
A big YES to this. Dayton is a great example of this. They do a great job of sharing the ball, getting teammates shots, making the extra pass. It's early but Dayton is averaging almost 20 assists per game, VCU just 13.
Easy to get 20 assists per game when the primary strategy is throw it to Obi and get out of the way, while he shoots 70% from anywhere close to the lane.😎

More seriously though, we do have some limitations in our spacing because none of our bigs are a threat beyond five feet and as such, some of our actions don’t open up the lane like they should. The next option is to hit open threes: when we do, all of sudden the lane opens up like the red sea (early in TN game for example), no secret why MSS got so much 1v1 in that game.

When we don’t (see Purdue), we tend to force things that leads to TOs and bad shots. In any case, assists tend to suffer when defense can gum up the lane and offense can’t hit open perimeter shots.

Reactions: mrgeode

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
Last second heave?…. More like a well run play to get your best player a wide open look from the short corner...he set his feet and took the shot in rhythm.
Don't need to blow out someone else's candle to make yours burn brighter. Barnes drew up a winner.
Totally agree that it was a great play drawn up by Barnes. But check on the height of the shot. I watched him for two days, never shot it that high. He threw it over MSS about ten feet higher than his normal shot. It went in. Nice for them but there was an element of good fortune. Just my opinion, not taking anything away from them. The key to me was Turner cutting inside MSS as opposed to going over the top. Like you said, it was a really good play and I was sitting right there across from Turner when he broke my heart!

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Rhoades was mic’d up during a time-out I believe during the Purdue game telling the team that we were over penetrating and thus forcing ourselves into turning the ball over an awful lot. Coach was spot on. We need good clean passes around the key and inside. It will lead to better open looks.

• Wow
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Totally agree that it was a great play drawn up by Barnes. But check on the height of the shot. I watched him for two days, never shot it that high. He threw it over MSS about ten feet higher than his normal shot. It went in. Nice for them but there was an element of good fortune. Just my opinion, not taking anything away from them. The key to me was Turner cutting inside MSS as opposed to going over the top. Like you said, it was a really good play and I was sitting right there across from Turner when he broke my heart!
MR seemed to know what was coming, even stated in his post game that while the play was a good one, we lost our man on the action giving Turner the opening. Sounded like it wasn’t by design to have MSS rush the shooter. Agree though, Turner put a heckuva arc on that shot under pressure—sometimes you just have to “tip the cap” to a job well done.

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013
Maybe I'm misremembering or misunderstanding what you mean but I thought Turner curled AROUND MSS and into the corner, and then instead of following him, ME turned around and ran into a pick, forcing MSS to cover?

When you said "inside MSS" did you mean in between MSS and the basket?

What could have ME done differently? Follow him? Make a decision quicker? Just wondering, I don't know Xs and Os

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Maybe I'm misremembering or misunderstanding what you mean but I thought Turner curled AROUND MSS and into the corner, and then instead of following him, ME turned around and ran into a pick, forcing MSS to cover?

When you said "inside MSS" did you mean in between MSS and the basket?

What could have ME done differently? Follow him? Make a decision quicker? Just wondering, I don't know Xs and Os
OK after having looked at the replay now 10 times. It appears there was a miscommunication between a couple of players. It "seems"......... that ME was expecting them to switch and it "seems".......IV was expecting them to stay with there man.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
A big YES to this. Dayton is a great example of this. They do a great job of sharing the ball, getting teammates shots, making the extra pass. It's early but Dayton is averaging almost 20 assists per game, VCU just 13.
Making the extra pass, sharing the ball and getting teammates shots are not an issue for VCU at all. In fact, we tend to do those things pretty well. An assist has two components: a pass and a MADE shot. It is the made shot part where we have struggled.

Nov 10, 2012
Making the extra pass, sharing the ball and getting teammates shots are not an issue for VCU at all. In fact, we tend to do those things pretty well. An assist has two components: a pass and a MADE shot. It is the made shot part where we have struggled.
I think we do it well in spurts. There are stretches we go where it's a lot of one-on-one.

Reactions: SWV

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Let me say that no one was more disappointed in our performance at the Emerald Coast Classic than me. However the level of caterwauling, finger pointing and hand wringing on these boards has reached a crescendo. Time to move on.
Move on to what?... We don't play again till Saturday...this a basketball centric VCU sports message boards. Why does anybody have an issue with hashing out the previous two games. You have a more pressing topic....post away. I am sure if we went 2-0 everybody would be enjoying the game discussion.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Move on to what?... We don't play again till Saturday...this a basketball centric VCU sports message boards. Why does anybody have an issue with hashing out the previous two games. You have a more pressing topic....post away. I am sure if we went 2-0 everybody would be enjoying the game discussion.
Heck, it's taken me until today to figure out a way to express my disappointment in an acceptable way. Probably a good thing it took several days to post.