VCU Media Mentions

Mar 1, 2015
I think about this often.
Probably something like:

Why haven’t we been to the second weekend since 2011?

Shaka should be producing more given his salary and program expenditures.

Why does the Offense seem stagnant?

We shoot so poorly, maybe stop pressing so much?

Start the other guy at PG!!!!!!

I can’t believe we pay this guy 3.5 mil.

Season ticket prices........

We never win any of these pre season tournaments

May 19, 2015
UT is a toxic environment.
It was from day one. I'm not sure the fans wanted Shaka to begin with and because he was so hyped-up by their AD and the performance didn't match the man that was hired, particularly compared to the person they fired, they were looking for someone's flesh. It is a sad story but he will land somewhere that will suit him and his family much better.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
It was from day one. I'm not sure the fans wanted Shaka to begin with and because he was so hyped-up by their AD and the performance didn't match the man that was hired, particularly compared to the person they fired, they were looking for someone's flesh. It is a sad story but he will land somewhere that will suit him and his family much better.
They were looking for “someone’s flesh”?

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
They were looking for “someone’s flesh”?
"Someone demanding their pound of flesh is saying that they are determined to get what is theirs by right, no matter how it may affect anyone else and regardless of the consequences. It comes from The Merchant of Venice and is spoken by Shylock, a moneylender, who is an outcast in Venice because he’s a Jew.Insisting on a pound of flesh is a strong and extreme demand, and is a phrase that is in common use in English-speaking countries.

On the literal level the idea of someone wanting a pound of flesh is very strange so what does it mean? It’s another of Shakespeare’s creative inventions, and the phrase is one of his greatest plot drivers."

Reactions: LLLeopold

Gopher+RamFan

Top Member
Dec 9, 2010
Probably something like:

Why haven’t we been to the second weekend since 2011?

Shaka should be producing more given his salary and program expenditures.

Why does the Offense seem stagnant?

We shoot so poorly, maybe stop pressing so much?

Start the other guy at PG!!!!!!

I can’t believe we pay this guy 3.5 mil.

Season ticket prices........

We never win any of these pre season tournaments
Sort of. Without Rhoades and Wade, Shaka has struggled a bit (here and at Texas). But, I think he'd pull consecutive Top 25 classes, he's a great recruiter. I think we would've received a top 5 seed or two, making it much easier to make it to the second weekend. This is why I get frustrated in the OOC, we need a higher seed to get to the second weekend.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Just a figure of speech. Someone to blame and throw rocks at. Cmon. I'm sure you have heard of this before. Oh geez.
Sure, but big businesses (like UT AD) don’t typically hire leaders with the intention of extracting “flesh” from them—they certainly don’t retain them for five years if they do. I thought you meant to say “someone fresh”, which is likely more accurate.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
The previous AD at Texas (Steve Patterson) was not exactly known for making rational decisions. The sole reason he fired Rick Barnes (who IIRC had led Texas to 16 NCAA tournament appearances in the past 17 years) was to get the first shot at hiring Shaka Smart. He struggled to sell Shaka to Texas fans, and even tried to lump him together with mediocre football coach Charlie Strong by saying "Strong & Smart", which didn't exactly work out very well.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
"Someone demanding their pound of flesh is saying that they are determined to get what is theirs by right, no matter how it may affect anyone else and regardless of the consequences. It comes from The Merchant of Venice and is spoken by Shylock, a moneylender, who is an outcast in Venice because he’s a Jew.Insisting on a pound of flesh is a strong and extreme demand, and is a phrase that is in common use in English-speaking countries.

On the literal level the idea of someone wanting a pound of flesh is very strange so what does it mean? It’s another of Shakespeare’s creative inventions, and the phrase is one of his greatest plot drivers."

thanks, was aware of the saying and the connection with anti-semitism, that’s why i was a little surprised by it’s use and honestly thought the OP meant to say “someone fresh”.

BTW—not one shred of me thinks the OP meant anything negative by the comment—just an “oh my” moment.

Reactions: Beirne