VCU Media Mentions

Mar 1, 2015
"Someone demanding their pound of flesh is saying that they are determined to get what is theirs by right, no matter how it may affect anyone else and regardless of the consequences. It comes from The Merchant of Venice and is spoken by Shylock, a moneylender, who is an outcast in Venice because he’s a Jew.Insisting on a pound of flesh is a strong and extreme demand, and is a phrase that is in common use in English-speaking countries.

On the literal level the idea of someone wanting a pound of flesh is very strange so what does it mean? It’s another of Shakespeare’s creative inventions, and the phrase is one of his greatest plot drivers."

I know Shaka likes his Shakespeare quotes, but this seems more accurate.

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
Sort of. Without Rhoades and Wade, Shaka has struggled a bit (here and at Texas). But, I think he'd pull consecutive Top 25 classes, he's a great recruiter. I think we would've received a top 5 seed or two, making it much easier to make it to the second weekend. This is why I get frustrated in the OOC, we need a higher seed to get to the second weekend.
Is it possible that we might be in the Big East by now if Shaka would have stayed?

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I think an easier explanation is Lunardi doesn't know what he's doing.
I think he's decent enough at his job, but there are moments where I scratch my head. But he's a really nice guy. My wife works with his nephew. He's universally well liked. Palm, on the other hand, I've heard he's quite the a-hole. But I have a hunch he's on the spectrum, so I don't get too caught up in his dismissive attitude.

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Lunardi has in mind UNI and Liberty, but he is incorrect about the Flames. They have played 1 Q1 game all season and lost by 16 at LSU. The correct answer is UNI and ETSU.
How are these So-Con teams doing this? Same situation seemed to happen last year.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I think he's decent enough at his job, but there are moments where I scratch my head. But he's a really nice guy. My wife works with his nephew. He's universally well liked. Palm, on the other hand, I've heard he's quite the a-hole. But I have a hunch he's on the spectrum, so I don't get too caught up in his dismissive attitude.
He may be a nice guy, and I don't wish ill upon him, but how is being nice relevant to his ability as a bracketologist?

May 19, 2015
thanks, was aware of the saying and the connection with anti-semitism, that’s why i was a little surprised by it’s use and honestly thought the OP meant to say “someone fresh”.

BTW—not one shred of me thinks the OP meant anything negative by the comment—just an “oh my” moment.
Let me make this perfectly clear. Perhaps, I misused the phrase. But I can assure you the intent was never to make any connection with anti-semitism. The reason why I know this is because I am Jewish.