VCU Media Mentions

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Let me make this perfectly clear. Perhaps, I misused the phrase. But I can assure you the intent was never to make any connection with anti-semitism. The reason why I know this is because I am Jewish.
yep, said that. One can still be an anti-semite—religious beliefs are irrelevant

Reactions: Beirne
May 19, 2015
yep, said that. One can still be an anti-semite—religious beliefs are irrelevant
OK, let me be clear. I am not!

There are a few members on Ramnation purposely trying to trap people on innocent statements or their use of words, whether to somehow stretch the imagination by associating it as a racial slur, political incorrectness, misuse or unacceptable religious reference or some made-up bullcrap. Thanks, but, no thanks. I'm the last person you will be able to frame in such a vicious attempt to do so.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
OK, let me be clear. I am not!

There are a few members on Ramnation purposely trying to trap people on innocent statements or their use of words, whether to somehow stretch the imagination by associating it as a racial slur, political incorrectness, misuse or unacceptable religious reference or some made-up bullcrap. Thanks, but, no thanks. I'm the last person you will be able to frame in such a vicious attempt to do so.
Relax. From the outset i thought you meant something else and said it and explicitly stated you likely didn’t mean anything by it. It is a highly offensive example to use—but not everyone knows that.

no one accused you of anything. Wow!

Beirne

Top Member
Mar 2, 2013
Let me make this perfectly clear. Perhaps, I misused the phrase. But I can assure you the intent was never to make any connection with anti-semitism. The reason why I know this is because I am Jewish.
Agreed!
The "pound of flesh" Shakespearean quote is a reference regarding how far one will go for revenge; it is not really meant to be any religious statement.
GO RAMS!

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Agreed!
The "pound of flesh" Shakespearean quote is a reference regarding how far one will go for revenge; it is not really meant to be any religious statement.
GO RAMS!
Hmmm.....not so fast my friend the debate is about the bard’s intention, not the nature of the depiction.

Again, not implying that any poster on this site has taken an insulting position....just sharing background as to why the particular phrase used was a bit surprising in the context of an educated and generally collegial forum.

Reactions: Beirne
May 19, 2015
Hmmm.....not so fast my friend the debate is about the bard’s intention, not the nature of the depiction.

Again, not implying that any poster on this site has taken an insulting position....just sharing background as to why the particular phrase used was a bit surprising in the context of an educated and generally collegial forum.
So, you have decided to make a case from my choice of words to suggest that it could be taken by folks as a personal insult, a cause for public objection or create a protest/outrage, when the use of the phrase could clearly be defined in the manner in which it was posed. You have taken it upon yourself to further this matter perhaps to embarrass me? If you knew me personally, you would be very hard-pressed to suggest that I am a racist, anti-semitic, closed minded to all religions or beliefs based on who I am and what I have done in my life thus far. Would like to meet you at one of the RAM functions. In the meantime, I take offense to your continued efforts to create an issue with my post.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
So, you have decided to make a case from my choice of words to suggest that it could be taken by folks as a personal insult, a cause for public objection or create a protest/outrage, when the use of the phrase could clearly be defined in the manner in which it was posed. You have taken it upon yourself to further this matter perhaps to embarrass me? If you knew me personally, you would be very hard-pressed to suggest that I am a racist, anti-semitic, closed minded to all religions or beliefs based on who I am and what I have done in my life thus far. Would like to meet you at one of the RAM functions. In the meantime, I take offense to your continued efforts to create an issue with my post.
In all fairness, I genuinely don't think he intends to say that you were using it in a negative way, but rather as a general education that the use of the phrase can be loaded. To be honest, I wasn't aware of this, so I've enjoyed the education on it.