VCU Media Mentions

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
It probably wouldn't have been as good for VCU as it seemed at first. The whole project was basically Dominion's baby, and VCU basically would have been paying Dominion rent.
Just because the CEO of Dominion is spearheading the project, it does NOT mean that it is a Dominion project. I'm pretty certain that Tom Farrell is perfectly capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
VCU would not have been paying Dominion rent. VCU would own the land and doesn't pay state taxes to begin with. What VCU would have built/builds would have complimented the Navy Hill project. And nothing is stopping VCU from moving forward. The City of Richmond does NOT have any control over VCU. That's why VCU and the Flying Squirrels are building a new baseball stadium on State owned land and the City of Richmond is now not part of the deal.
I've highlighted what I think is the key phrase. VCU won't let this stop progress for the school.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

BigTimeRamFan

Top Member
Jan 4, 2011
VCU picture is on front of this article.
Richmond Spiders
This is getting rather suspenseful for the Spiders. Chris Mooney's team just keeps winning, albeit mostly against opponents beneath the Atlantic 10's top tier. Reaching 20-6 overall and 10-3 in the conference has brought Richmond to the very edge of the projected field of 68. Next up are road games at St. Bonaventure and George Washington, and UR has a real shot at finishing the regular season with both a very impressive record and in partial or even sole possession of second place in the A-10 behind Dayton. All of the above, plus the 10-point win over Wisconsin on a neutral floor, could be enough to land the Spiders an at-large bid.

VCU Rams
When VCU lost by 18 at Richmond in its previous outing, the Watch opined as follows: "Over the past two weeks it has become increasingly difficult to envision Mike Rhoades' team earning an at-large spot without a win at home against Dayton in its next game." It almost happened. Marcus Santos-Silva recorded a 12-17 double-double and the Rams pulled to within three points of the Flyers with 26 seconds left. However, the Flyers won 66-61, and now VCU is in "win out and make a run in the conference tournament" mode. The Rams, with a NET ranking in the low 50s, were a consensus pick to miss the field of 68 before the Dayton loss.

Nov 20, 2009
VCU would not have been paying Dominion rent. VCU would own the land and doesn't pay state taxes to begin with. What VCU would have built/builds would have complimented the Navy Hill project. And nothing is stopping VCU from moving forward. The City of Richmond does NOT have any control over VCU. That's why VCU and the Flying Squirrels are building a new baseball stadium on State owned land and the City of Richmond is now not part of the deal.
I agree.

But, keep in mind, a realignment of the minor leagues is coming up next year.
re:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/01/09/milb-contraction-talks-in-crucial-phase-as-2020-begins/

hopefully, that is pushing VCU and the Squirrels to get the project under contract and started. If it's not, who knows.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I agree.

But, keep in mind, a realignment of the minor leagues is coming up next year.
re:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/01/09/milb-contraction-talks-in-crucial-phase-as-2020-begins/

hopefully, that is pushing VCU and the Squirrels to get the project under contract and started. If it's not, who knows.
The good news is it's been stated that the Squirrels are not one of the teams that could be cut under the upcoming proposal, but it does give VCU and the Squirrels added incentive to get this done in case future contractions happen.

Nov 20, 2009
The good news is it's been stated that the Squirrels are not one of the teams that could be cut under the upcoming proposal, but it does give VCU and the Squirrels added incentive to get this done in case future contractions happen.
tis true.

it's going to be interesting to follow.

I'd hate to lose Parney and the Squirrels.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA
Nov 20, 2009
anybody got any ideas of getting around the RTD paywall? I'd love to read Wayne's articles on the seniors.

But, with all the stuff I went through with getting the RTD delivered and changed and cancelled, I'm in a boycott mode with them :lol: :lol: