VCU Media Mentions

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
View attachment 8350
I’m guessing it’s the area in yellow. Correct me if I’m wrong.
Also, there is a 22-acre plot of land on Hermitage Road on which discussion has centered concerning VCU’s Athletics Village project. That land is currently occupied by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority’s headquarters. The Times-Dispatch reported last year that VCU would also be interested in "up to 16 acres of adjoining property to develop the Athletics Village."

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Also, there is a 22-acre plot of land on Hermitage Road on which discussion has centered concerning VCU’s Athletics Village project. That land is currently occupied by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority’s headquarters. The Times-Dispatch reported last year that VCU would also be interested in "up to 16 acres of adjoining property to develop the Athletics Village."
That's some serious acreage right in the city. I didn't realize how much land was possibly in play. Very cool.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
It's part of the plan. My guess is the tennis center will go on this parcel, along with the indoor practice facility.
Would you happen to have a link to the plan you could share? I’d love to see what else the university has in store. When I roll around NC States campus (especially on the Centennial side) I’m impressed with what they have done (i.e. Lonnie Poole, etc.)

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

"Besides replacing the Franklin Street Gym, the One VCU Master site plan also calls for vacating the Thalhimer Tennis Center located near the center of VCU's Monroe Park Campus. Under the plan, the VCU Athletics Village includes a new indoor/outdoor tennis center, an indoor multipurpose facility, practice fields and a new home for baseball."

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
"Besides replacing the Franklin Street Gym, the One VCU Master site plan also calls for vacating the Thalhimer Tennis Center located near the center of VCU's Monroe Park Campus. Under the plan, the VCU Athletics Village includes a new indoor/outdoor tennis center, an indoor multipurpose facility, practice fields and a new home for baseball."
I remember hearing a few years ago the vision for the university was to extend from “The Boulevard” to “95” and to be viewed as the jewel of the broad street corridor. It seems like that vision is continuing to take shape. Very proud to see how far things have some since I first stepped on campus in ‘85. I’m sure it’s been no easy feat to buildout a tier1 research university in the middle of a 283 year old city.

Reactions: PRock

Steve Roadcap

Top Member
Oct 18, 2015
I remember hearing a few years ago the vision for the university was to extend from “The Boulevard” to “95” and to be viewed as the jewel of the broad street corridor. It seems like that vision is continuing to take shape. Very proud to see how far things have some since I first stepped on campus in ‘85. I’m sure it’s been no easy feat to buildout a tier1 research university in the middle of a 283 year old city.
How far has it come; I stepped on campus for the very first time in ‘71. Cabell Library was 1 story high, Franklin Street Gym was going strong. My dorm was Chaulkley House, now long torn down, which was on the corner of Schafer Court next to the Hibbs Building and across the street from Cabell Library. The VCU master plan in existence at the time called for the campus to grow south towards Hollywood Cemetery/Oregon Hill neighborhood and not towards Broad Street with a projected maximum enrollment of 40,000. Campus bookstore was in the basement of the Hibbs Building. A tremendous amount has changed. But all said, I had the best time of my life while at VCU and it gave me a good education and was my stepping stone to law school. Attended quite a few BB games in the Franklin Street Gym and became friends with most of the the then basketball team players, many who also lived in Chaulkley House. In a sidenote, it was my understanding/belief that Chaulkley House was once used as a mortuary. Yikes. Unfortunately, I met my first wife there. That’s a long story but fortunately I did better the second time around and have been married to my now beautiful wife for 33 years.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Gotta' believe the old Pet Dairy parcel behind the ABC warehouse also has to be in play regarding additional land acquisitions by VCU athletics.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Gotta' believe the old Pet Dairy parcel behind the ABC warehouse also has to be in play regarding additional land acquisitions by VCU athletics.
I go to VCU games along the road that swings by the Redskin's training camp. It is wild how many condos from VCU to Scott's Addition are occupied by VCU students. It used to be Chamberlayne/Jackson Ward but they are moving west.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Although not a VCU media mention per se, but David Teel is joining the sports department at the RTD. As many of you will remember David has written about the Rams in the past while on the staff of the Newport News Daily Press. I found his articles about the Rams to be well researched, fair and accurate. Welcome to Richmond, Dave.