VCU Media Mentions

May 1, 2009
How far has it come; I stepped on campus for the very first time in ‘71. Cabell Library was 1 story high, Franklin Street Gym was going strong. My dorm was Chaulkley House, now long torn down, which was on the corner of Schafer Court next to the Hibbs Building and across the street from Cabell Library. The VCU master plan in existence at the time called for the campus to grow south towards Hollywood Cemetery/Oregon Hill neighborhood and not towards Broad Street with a projected maximum enrollment of 40,000. Campus bookstore was in the basement of the Hibbs Building. A tremendous amount has changed. But all said, I had the best time of my life while at VCU and it gave me a good education and was my stepping stone to law school. Attended quite a few BB games in the Franklin Street Gym and became friends with most of the the then basketball team players, many who also lived in Chaulkley House. In a sidenote, it was my understanding/belief that Chaulkley House was once used as a mortuary. Yikes. Unfortunately, I met my first wife there. That’s a long story but fortunately I did better the second time around and have been married to my now beautiful wife for 33 years.
Doesn't sound much different from when I was there in 78' except the library was 4 stories, I think. Everything else sounds the same. From what I understand, the people Oregon Hill put up a major fuss about moving the campus down in that direction....thus the move over to Broad. And while moving over to Broad might have been more costly, I actually think it turned out for the best. It actually put the academic campus front and center on Richmond's main road (rather than hidden off to the side, two streets over)

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
After watching the program last night I see why they referred to Frank as a gangster. He went large and didn’t flinch. How insightful.
There were a LOT of things about that documentary that could be described as "insightful", it should be it's own thread. Having discussed this with several in special places, if anyone is left with wondering about the myriad of schools involved in the same crap you saw on there last night, I'll go ahead and forward a quote from 2 special someones who would definitely know about how it might or might not apply to certain programs:
"We don't have it like that.", with a dismissive chuckle.
Further elaborated, there's a TON of oversight where it comes to certain schools as opposed to others.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
There were a LOT of things about that documentary that could be described as "insightful", it should be it's own thread. Having discussed this with several in special places, if anyone is left with wondering about the myriad of schools involved in the same crap you saw on there last night, I'll go ahead and forward a quote from 2 special someones who would definitely know about how it might or might not apply to certain programs:
"We don't have it like that.", with a dismissive chuckle.
Further elaborated, there's a TON of oversight where it comes to certain schools as opposed to others.
So there appears to be some truth in the phrase “The best team money can buy” If what CD was putting forth is accurate. I wished, but was not surprised, that others would have discussed their positions. It does make one wonder how close to home the “pay to play” or lack there of has come to VCU

Reactions: MobileMunchies

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
So there appears to be some truth in the phrase “The best team money can buy” If what CD was putting forth is accurate. I wished, but was not surprised, that others would have discussed their positions. It does make one wonder how close to home the “pay to play” or lack there of has come to VCU
There are certain people/programs CD never would have wasted him time calling. ;)

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN