VCU Media Mentions

May 4, 2012
I'm sure.

It's crazy, though, it's not like ESPN Richmond has a 24-hour local broadcast. They only have five hours of live programming each weekday (and one hour on Saturday). Other stations like DC's 106.7 the Fan have a lot more local programming.
still have to pay for it and that means advertisers. all media are struggling with that with so much of the economy shut down. They'll be back when we're open for business again.

AlienAiden

Insider
May 3, 2012
local radio was already a world of hand to hand combat competing in a drone era....too many options and frankly the demos that listen are terrible for advertisers (gospel & spanish speaking being exceptions). Losing live sports and associated shows is brutal and finishing the job that digititalization had already started.

i think Learfield is in a decent spot—very talented team there and they have a brand new CEO who has a great track record in the event marketing and licensing space. I’m sure its tough for them as it is for everyone, but their business model is strong and they have a very strong/connected leadership team.
Yeah, local sports radio has been slowly squeezed out in this market. Moves from Big Al to moving Wes to afternoons for a DC show were all signs of what was in store.

Reactions: PRock

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
They'll be back when we're open for business again.
All the posts by Greg Burton, Matt Josephs, Andrew Wallace, etc suggest this is permanent (Brosephs himself saying "my time at ESPN Richmond has ended"). I imagine they'll be back on the air someday, but it won't be for ESPN Richmond.

May 4, 2012
All the posts by Greg Burton, Matt Josephs, Andrew Wallace, etc suggest this is permanent (Brosephs himself saying "my time at ESPN Richmond has ended"). I imagine they'll be back on the air someday, but it won't be for ESPN Richmond.
may be different theys of course, its a matter of who's available when they relaunch. there are still hours to fill.
but no, this is not a furlough. they were let go.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
They have to keep him as long as they're contracted to cover Richmond basketball games.
I doubt that's the case. Bob Black's show is separate from fur basketball. And they canned his sidekick, Andrew Wallace. Now, fur may be paying a chuck of Bob Black's salary at ESPN just for the exposure.

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
Then Black says this:

Miss my millennial teammate already but he has a bright future ahead. He’s in the transfer portal! Now I have to go figure out music, video games and best Fan bars - which I plan on doing by buying for @WallaceESPN as soon as this is over! #BlackandDrew

Apr 20, 2009
'You survive Franklin Street, you can survive anything': VCU players, coaches remember soon-to-be-demolished gym

VCU went 74-3 in Franklin Street Gym from 1968 to 1979.
“It was a fun place to play,” Hobbs said.

Of course Hobbs being David Hobbs, former VCU player, Hampden-Sydney and Alabama head coach.

Ha, and a student in my general biology class in 69!? Nice guy, respectful student. No, in 46 years, not all were as respectful.

Reactions: ViCtorioUs

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
Covid is doing a number on local media. Between this and times dispatch forcing everyone to take 2 weeks off unpaid. They may be dinosaurs but I like newspapers and radio especially for local sports coverage. This sucks

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Covid is doing a number on local media. Between this and times dispatch forcing everyone to take 2 weeks off unpaid. They may be dinosaurs but I like newspapers and radio especially for local sports coverage. This sucks
The Times-Dispatch is getting thinner each day. :(

• Sad
Reactions: rvaram
Mar 2, 2014
Yep, I love my morning paper.

Reactions: rvaram