VCU Media Mentions

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
Yet we praise those involved in pillaging and plundering when the boarded ships during the Boston Tea Party. They even teach it in schools as a great, positive event in the history of the development of America.
I keep hearing this same thing and I am not certain where this justification is coming from-middle school? . I have been teaching U.S. History at the High School level for over 20 years and can tell you that I have never taught this specific event as a positive event. A significant event yes, but a positive event no. I think the same would be said for my fellow co-workers as well as teachers that I know at other schools in the area.

Reactions: N Mollen and rvaram

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I keep hearing this same thing and I am not certain where this justification is coming from-middle school? . I have been teaching U.S. History at the High School level for over 20 years and can tell you that I have never taught this specific event as a positive event. A significant event yes, but a positive event no. I think the same would be said for my fellow co-workers as well as teachers that I know at other schools in the area.
I think there's a conflation of actual scholarship about the Founding Fathers and the early patriots and the cultish fawning over everything to do with the Revolution. It grates at me, too. However, I've certainly seen members of "militias" compare themselves favorably to the Sons of Liberty, and the Tea Party movement even appropriated the name.

Perhaps a better comparison would be the Regulators and their actions during the War of the Regulation in the late 1760s in North Carolina. That was also a movement against what the public saw as governmental corruption and featured plenty of destruction of private property. It's also an interesting parallel in that the Regulators did not advocate overthrow of the colonial government but instead demanded their voices be heard and grievances be taken seriously.

Hopefully these protests end differently, although I cannot help but note our current president seems to prefer something along the lines of the Battle of Alamance as an endgame.

Reactions: PRock and DNB

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I think there's a conflation of actual scholarship about the Founding Fathers and the early patriots and the cultish fawning over everything to do with the Revolution. It grates at me, too. However, I've certainly seen members of "militias" compare themselves favorably to the Sons of Liberty, and the Tea Party movement even appropriated the name.

Perhaps a better comparison would be the Regulators and their actions during the War of the Regulation in the late 1760s in North Carolina. That was also a movement against what the public saw as governmental corruption and featured plenty of destruction of private property. It's also an interesting parallel in that the Regulators did not advocate overthrow of the colonial government but instead demanded their voices be heard and grievances be taken seriously.

Hopefully these protests end differently, although I cannot help but note our current president seems to prefer something along the lines of the Battle of Alamance as an endgame.
On a lighter note, I defy anyone reading about Regulators in the year 2020 to not get Warren G and Nate Dogg stuck in their head

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013

Pretty cool that you know about the Regulator Movement. Yes, I think that is a very good comparison. I agree that some of this comes from, as you put it, cultish fawning. There are many admirable individuals, ideas, and events during this period that this type of application of history is unnecessary and at times abusive of the actual historical events. I would also say that some of it comes from the fact that many individuals, particularly if they take an AP class, only take 1 year of US History. Students tend to remember about the events what they choose to rather than what is emphasized. Every year I do a reading on the Sons of Liberty pertaining to the Stamp Act and I end up shaking my head when about 1/3 of my students respond that it was the actions of the Sons of Liberty that brought about a repeal to the Stamp Act (instead of the economic pressure placed on British merchants by the boycott implemented by the Stamp Act Congress). .

Reactions: mrgeode
May 4, 2012
With the VCU campus and Monroe park essentially being the epicenter for most cultural movements on Richmond I think it's fair to respectfully discuss them here. Yes it's a basketball board but it's also a VCU board. The events have a clear impact on VCU and coaches across the A10 from Rhoades to Mooney are commenting on it.
There is an off topic forum, just sayin...