VCU Media Mentions

Mar 2, 2014
Two steps back?

Jeez,, the city of Richmond needs to stay out of it.
The fact that VCU had zero comments in that article should tell you VCU's involvement in this plan. The City's master plan was released June 1st and I have not seen one single comment by Ed or anyone at VCU. It's yet another wasted study/master plan released by the City that will go nowhere.
Since this has been going on for so long maybe they will build 2 stadiums right across the street from one another. Only a fine city like Richmond could make this happen.

• Haha
Reactions: DNB and RAMBALLFAN

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I have been talking to Wayne about this. I think he will ask some questions to find out. My questions like....would VCU and the Squirrels be onboard with flip flopping the locations or are they trying to work independently. Not sure right now if VCU and the Squirrels are working with the city. Some of the land on the east side of the Boulevard has to be city owned...right?
More important. What land east of Hermitage is City owned - and I don't think any. And that is what VCU is buying up. If anything, I thing VCU holds the cards west of Hermitage with Spots Backer's Stadium. The city wants that land and they will have to pay a big time price to VCU for it. And then the city will let it turn into weeds because they can't make a business decision.

Reactions: Newboy

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
More important. What land east of Hermitage is City owned - and I don't think any. And that is what VCU is buying up. If anything, I thing VCU holds the cards west of Hermitage with Spots Backer's Stadium. The city wants that land and they will have to pay a big time price to VCU for it. And then the city will let it turn into weeds because they can't make a business decision.
I did a little research and talked to some people. VCU and the Squirrels have always been working with the city and the other localities. Most of the have had the stadium in the location east of Hermitage on the 40 acres. One plan had it on the ABC lot which is about 20 acres and VCU is most likely going to purchase a couple of other parcels over there. If you think about this plan the location for the stadium is better for VCU since it is owned by the city. This will give the Village more space over in the ABC lot. As you said, another card in VCU's deck is the Sports Backers Stadium. Just spitballing here but all of this development could lend itself to allowing VCU to sell it off for big money. Let's say condos for an example. Heck, they could use the sale of that land to help pay for construction costs and offset other purchases. This is actually a good thing and this all has been going on for some time. The city is involved. Lots of issues with this deal. New roads for instance. I am sure that there is something I missed but that is the gist of it. Oh, I also believe that the hope is to involve the city and surrounding counties to help with the cost. Funny thing is that if the city had given VCU access to the 40 acres on the east side of Hermitage they might already have something up. Ha!

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Easier to access in Scott's Addition. Do not go there. Ha! This is what happened for years. Everyone fought over a location. VCU has first rights to a bunch of land so just go with it. OK?
I remember some of the debates. I can see how some fans would appreciate the current Diamond location in terms of getting to and from the game. Personally, I appreciate having the Stu along the Pulse line and it having all the restaurants/bars within walking distance for a pre or post game meal. I wish that would also be the case for the ball park.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I remember some of the debates. I can see how some fans would appreciate the current Diamond location in terms of getting to and from the game. Personally, I appreciate having the Stu along the Pulse line and it having all the restaurants/bars within walking distance for a pre or post game meal. I wish that would also be the case for the ball park.
Have you visited Scott's Addition lately?

Reactions: Ramcounter
Dec 16, 2013
Does VCU really own the land upon which Sportbackers Stadium sit????