VCU Media Mentions

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
I'll take up the mantle!

Besides conclusory statements, what makes them a high-major? In the last 6 years, the AAC had 19 bids, the A10 has had 20. The AAC has had 1 Sweet Sixteen run, the A10 has had 1 Elite 8.

In terms of media deals (and going off memory, so please correct my #'s if wrong), it's hard to tell since the AAC has football; however, they're contract is new and comes out to an average of 7 Mil per year while we're in what I think is our last year of a deal that pays about 400k per school. If BBall counts for 20% of their contract, then its 1.4 v. 400k. While significant, they're still 2.6 Mill behind the Big East, whose contract is also quite old. I would give the AAC a slight edge here, but not enough to make them high-major versus the A10.

What other metrics should be considered?

For me, I just look at the teams in the aac and say, I'd rather see them on our schedule. A10 beats the piss out of the caa but overall, it's lost strength since we joined. Aac added wichita state and a10 added george mason. That's the sort of difference that to me makes it the clear better conference as things sit now.

Reactions: cabell and 2012Ram

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
For me, I just look at the teams in the aac and say, I'd rather see them on our schedule. A10 beats the piss out of the caa but overall, it's lost strength since we joined. Aac added wichita state and a10 added george mason. That's the sort of difference that to me makes it the clear better conference as things sit now.
That's the main eye test I use as well. Being in the AAC would mean home games against Cinci, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Wichita State and we could get some UCF revenge on the menu too. Just seems like a much more exciting lineup than Dayton, URI, SLU, and the University of Henrico.

Reactions: rvaram and Newboy

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Gotta think that sort of thing helps in recruiting too. Nobody grows up dreaming of beating Fordham

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
That's the main eye test I use as well. Being in the AAC would mean home games against Cinci, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Wichita State and we could get some UCF revenge on the menu too. Just seems like a much more exciting lineup than Dayton, URI, SLU, and the University of Henrico.
Cool, thanks for the replies. Couple minor observations. First, if we're comparing the leagues, you also need to consider VCU in those lists since we're discussing how other perceive the leagues, not whether we'd be better off joining those leagues.

Second, I think this is subjective and subject to recency bias which both leads to the conclusion that it's debatable. I would say there are 4 or 5 exciting teams in each league each year. Last year, playing Dayton was a much bigger deal than any team in the AAC. Similarly, WSU could see a big drop off, sort of like what happened with SLU there for a few years. Temple is a name brand, but barely at this point.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Gotta think that sort of thing helps in recruiting too. Nobody grows up dreaming of beating Fordham
Nah, they grow up dreaming of playing against ECU and Tulane

As I've always said, if I had any confidence in the stability of that league I'd join in a minute. But it is full of football aspirants looking for another home. The fissures are obvious

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Cool, thanks for the replies. Couple minor observations. First, if we're comparing the leagues, you also need to consider VCU in those lists since we're discussing how other perceive the leagues, not whether we'd be better off joining those leagues.

Second, I think this is subjective and subject to recency bias which both leads to the conclusion that it's debatable. I would say there are 4 or 5 exciting teams in each league each year. Last year, playing Dayton was a much bigger deal than any team in the AAC. Similarly, WSU could see a big drop off, sort of like what happened with SLU there for a few years. Temple is a name brand, but barely at this point.

Tier 1 (1-6) = P6 (Majors)
Tier 2 (7-10) = AAC, A-10, MWC, WCC (non-P6 multi-bidders)
Tier 3 (11-32) = Everyone Else (one-bidders)

AAC and A-10 are routinely #7-8 in KP and RPI and about a 3-bid league annually (generally between 2-4 bids). No appreciable difference between the leagues in on-court performance/metrics/achievement.

One of the first places P6 athletic directors go for their coaching hires is the next tier down — successful programs in the A-10, AAC, etc. See Shaka Smart, Will Wade, Archie Miller, Danny Hurley, John Calipari, Mick Cronin, Gregg Marshall (they try), etc.

Last edited:

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012

I think the aac teams are also helped by the fact that they play some pretty good football as well (currently 2 teams in the top 25 and a third just outside). It gives those schools more name recognition. They're also, on average, much bigger schools in bigger markets so as a general rule their games are going to get more eyeballs on the tv.

As far as stability goes, maybe not quite as stable as the a10 but I think it's close. Looking at a10 I always wonder if dayton and maybe slu would get a big east invite. Umass is a question mark with their football team. Davidson after mckillop could be an anchor. And I think Rao and Ed would have us in the aac in a second if we were to get invited. The entire college sports landscape is unstable right now.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Nah, they grow up dreaming of playing against ECU and Tulane

As I've always said, if I had any confidence in the stability of that league I'd join in a minute. But it is full of football aspirants looking for another home. The fissures are obvious
I would trade Tulane, Tulsa, or ECU for Fordham in a nanosecond. Plus we don't have offsetting big name teams like Memphis, Cincy, Houston, etc.

Can't help but think a kid that isn't checking kenpoms 10 yr running conference SOS wants to play against SLU instead of Memphis

Last edited:

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Tier 1 (1-6) = P6 (Majors)
Tier 2 (7-10) = AAC, A-10, MWC, WCC (non-P6 multi-bidders)
Tier 3 (11-32) = Everyone Else (one-bidders)

AAC and A-10 are routinely #7-8 in KP and RPI and about a 3-bid league annually (generally between 2-4 bids). No appreciable difference between the leagues in on-court performance/metrics/achievement.

One of the first places P6 athletic directors go for their coaching hires is the next tier down — successful programs in the A-10, AAC, etc. See Shaka Smart, Will Wade, Archie Miller, Danny Hurley, John Calipari, Mick Cronin, Gregg Marshall (they try), etc.
Right now (11/23/20), Palm has 3 AAC/3 A-10 dancing in 2021............Houston/Memphis/SMU and Dayton/St Louis/Richmond.

Lunardi has 2 AAC/2 A-10..........Houston/Memphis and St Louis/Richmond.

No Temple, no Cincy, no Wichita, no VCU, no Rhody, no Davidson.

Conferences are, by and large, about the same in hoops.