VCU Media Mentions

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
yeah even at full price I feel like the subscription to The Athletic is worth it. You will find stories there that ESPN or whoever couldn't care less about. I only use ESPN these days for stats and scheduling related stuff, not the latest article from Brian Windhorst about what LeFlop's underwear smells like

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
The NCAAB coverage on The Athletic is the best IMO, ahead of CBS, and MILES ahead of ESPN.
I'm a huge baseball fan and a ton of former FOX and ESPN guys have moved to The Athletic as well so I value their writing a lot.
Plus long-form coverage of NFL, NBA, MLB and, I suppose hockey as well. It is the best sports journalism out there. This piece on VCU was fantastic and will be an outstanding recruiting tool.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
I hope this is the right thread to mention this. I wanted to let everyone here know that I'm launching an all new VCU podcast! I'm producing and doing some voice work, and working with host George Templeton. George was a sports reporter for the RTD for 10 years, and before that was sports editor of the Commonwealth Times. After each game, George does a Facebook live breaking down the game. He also records the audio, which becomes this podcast. We have one episode available right now, which is the breakdown of the VCU game at George Washington. We expect to have new episodes posted less than 24 hours after each game. My company is sponsoring the rest of this season, but we're hoping to have a high enough listenership to get outside sponsors next season.

The show is only available on Podbean right now, but has been submitted to Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, and elsewhere. We hope to have links for those services available in the next week or so. In the meantime, here's a link to find the show: https://ramsrewind.podbean.com/

View attachment 8947
Rams Rewind was just accepted into the Apple Podcast directory! If you have an Apple device, make sure you subscribe now so you don't miss a single episode. If you don't have an Apple device, don't fret. We've also submitted to Google Podcasts, Spotify, and elsewhere, and should be approved soon. The next episode will be published after tonight's game against the Bonnies.

Here's the Apple Podcast link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rams-rewind/id1549597013

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Rams Rewind was just accepted into the Apple Podcast directory! If you have an Apple device, make sure you subscribe now so you don't miss a single episode. If you don't have an Apple device, don't fret. We've also submitted to Google Podcasts, Spotify, and elsewhere, and should be approved soon. The next episode will be published after tonight's game against the Bonnies.

Here's the Apple Podcast link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rams-rewind/id1549597013
I listened to your post-GW episode and it was really good! Keep up the good work, you guys.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I wonder if they are going to push the sports to Peacock :cry:
They’re already streaming English Premier League games on it, so it’s possible.

I would imagine this might also mean the end of NBC Sports’ regional channels (such as NBC Sports Washington, which used to be Comcast SportsNet).

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I wonder if they are going to push the sports to Peacock :cry:

it’s mostly another platform by which to make content available. Live sports is still premium content for broadcast/CATV—because there is a known ad model and a high degree of comfort with the medium for awareness oriented messaging.

That said, digital platforms like Peacock provide a great way to extend content coverage beyond matchups that will attract the largest audience and provide access to archives/replays—allowing for much more targeted advertising execution.

As long as TV remains a prominent form of video consumption, i think the regional nets will be fine and digital platforms will provide another means to make the content available and offer some unique opportunities for advertisers.

Seven to ten years down the road though, i think you will see most premium sports content only available on such platforms—because the value of a more direct, personalized and measurable ad model will be evident and easier to activate/manage.

Reactions: mrgeode