VCU Media Mentions

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Who is your wireless carrier? My Verizon plan includes Hulu, Disney and ESPN+ subscriptions
Verizon. We made a plan change not too long ago, it added a year of free Disney+*. A month later it would have also added Hulu :) Cutting the cord is something we should have done a while back anyway and just pick up things here and there. Losing masn will kind of suck but so it goes; we’ll figure something out. who knows where things will end up next year after nbc sports goes away.

* we pretty much ran out of things to watch after a month, hardly look at it now.

JDI

Insider
Apr 20, 2009
Verizon. We made a plan change not too long ago, it added a year of free Disney+*. A month later it would have also added Hulu :) Cutting the cord is something we should have done a while back anyway and just pick up things here and there. Losing masn will kind of suck but so it goes; we’ll figure something out. who knows where things will end up next year after nbc sports goes away.

* we pretty much ran out of things to watch after a month, hardly look at it now.
When NBC Sports goes you will need USA or Peacock.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Not really. ESPN is offered on all streaming services like YouTube tv, Hulu tv, sling. MASN is only offered by cable or satellite
While yes, you can get ESPN on multiple streaming services.....it usually comes as a package similar to purchasing a cable package. I don't think you can get it ala carte. Regardless, you still have to have ESPN through a service in order to get anything out of the ESPN app....I don't think you can download the app and then pay a fee to just get ESPN I, II or the U through the app only without having it first through a service (perhaps I am wrong). Same thing applies to MASN.....you need MASN through some type of service first in order to get it through the app.

Reactions: vcubballfan10
Nov 10, 2012
While yes, you can get ESPN on multiple streaming services.....it usually comes as a package similar to purchasing a cable package. I don't think you can get it ala carte. Regardless, you still have to have ESPN through a service in order to get anything out of the ESPN app....I don't think you can download the app and then pay a fee to just get ESPN I, II or the U through the app only without having it first through a service (perhaps I am wrong). Same thing applies to MASN.....you need MASN through some type of service first in order to get it through the app.
Agree. My point was that ESPN is more easily accessible than MASN. Just baffling that in 2021 they are just now starting to offer some kind of streaming service.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
That will be interesting because that leaves the A10 with ESPN and CBS sports for nationally televised games

As a reference point, VCU has 4 games on NBCSN this year. The A-10 conference has 33 games on NBCSN this year, including the 2nd round and quarterfinals of the A-10 Tournament. That's a pretty big void for the conference to fill next year.

FYI - CBSSN is carrying 27 A-10 games this year, including 6 VCU games. ESPN networks are carrying 14 A-10 games this year.

Reactions: vcubballfan10

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Agree. My point was that ESPN is more easily accessible than MASN. Just baffling that in 2021 they are just now starting to offer some kind of streaming service.

MASN was created to cover Orioles baseball. They also received the TV rights to Nationals baseball. That's their bread and butter. Pretty much every VCU game on MASN is a VCU production.

Apr 21, 2009
MASN was created to cover Orioles baseball. They also received the TV rights to Nationals baseball. That's their bread and butter. Pretty much every VCU game on MASN is a VCU production.
In my day, we were forced to watch HTS/ Prime Sports, and LIKED IT! Production values one step up from SportsChannel America, 2 steps up from BLAB TV, and 5 steps down from ESPN.