Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
Who quoted "...excited to play. I am."

giphy.gif

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
The Spiders next three games have been postponed as Richmond continues to follow University and state COVID protocols. Team activities will remain paused through February 12. (includes VCU game).

#OneRichmond

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
In my day, we were forced to watch HTS/ Prime Sports, and LIKED IT! Production values one step up from SportsChannel America, 2 steps up from BLAB TV, and 5 steps down from ESPN.
In my day, we were forced to go to the game or if within Richmond, listen to it on the radio. Even then, the game score didn't always make it into the sports section of the paper if you lived outside of the Richmond area.
A decade and a half later, they started streaming audio on the new fangled interwebs. Games were being shown on local Richmond TV. But again, the game score didn't always make it into the sports sections of paper outside of Richmond. Then, a miracle happened, and VCU started video streaming all the home games for free and anyone across the country to watch VCU basketball. 4-5 years later VCU started charging a nominal fee to stream the games but you could still watch every single home game via internet stream. Then all the network sports stations started to pop up and needed to fill their schedule. The number of available games in TV shot up but the number of games you could actually watch, drop precipitously unless you paid for cable/sat and then paid extra for a sports package and then paid extra for the few other games on some network not covered by the previously paid for sports package.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
In my day, we were forced to go to the game or if within Richmond, listen to it on the radio. Even then, the game score didn't always make it into the sports section of the paper if you lived outside of the Richmond area.
A decade and a half later, they started streaming audio on the new fangled interwebs. Games were being shown on local Richmond TV. But again, the game score didn't always make it into the sports sections of paper outside of Richmond. Then, a miracle happened, and VCU started video streaming all the home games for free and anyone across the country to watch VCU basketball. 4-5 years later VCU started charging a nominal fee to stream the games but you could still watch every single home game via internet stream. Then all the network sports stations started to pop up and needed to fill their schedule. The number of available games in TV shot up but the number of games you could actually watch, drop precipitously unless you paid for cable/sat and then paid extra for a sports package and then paid extra for the few other games on some network not covered by the previously paid for sports package.
When I started to watch VCU I had to walk 10 miles up a hill in a foot of snow or get morse code play by play.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
When I started to watch VCU I had to walk 10 miles up a hill in a foot of snow or get morse code play by play.
Really? All I had to do was walk the relatively flat sidewalk down Broad St in the wintery snow and ice to the brown spaceship as busses sloshed wet heaps of snow on our already freezing feet while breathing in carcinogenic diesel bus fumes.
You must have lived way down in Church Hill and had to walk that darn hill up to FSG.
Actually, my freshman year I lived right across the street from Franklin Street Gym so my trek was probably less than 50 yards of so :) The following year the Rams moved down to the space ship.

Reactions: AlienAiden

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
My dad was at VCU from 72-76. I found a 1974 media guide on eBay and bought it for Christmas for him this year.

I asked him if remembered any of the games (beating a Dicky V coached Detroit team was one of them) and he said he was too stoned to drive from The Boulevard to the RC to go to games. I guess the 70s were a good time.

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
My dad was at VCU from 72-76. I found a 1974 media guide on eBay and bought it for Christmas for him this year.

I asked him if remembered any of the games (beating a Dicky V coached Detroit team was one of them) and he said he was too stoned to drive from The Boulevard to the RC to go to games. I guess the 70s were a good time.
Your Dad is cool. You know, Dicky V really wanted the Rutgers job an got effed over so he took the Detroit job.