VCU Media Mentions

Gopher+RamFan

Top Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not sports-related but there's word on reddit and twitter about a frat hazing death at VCU.
Before even looking this up I guessed the fraternity and the house the incident occurred in. Seems like things haven't changed since the early 2010s.

Senseless death. If all I read is true, I hope (and wouldn't be surprised) if that particular fraternity is banned from campus.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Before even looking this up I guessed the fraternity and the house the incident occurred in. Seems like things haven't changed since the early 2010s.

Senseless death. If all I read is true, I hope (and wouldn't be surprised) if that particular fraternity is banned from campus.
Sounds like they already had been recently but ban was lifted. Yeah and sounds like it's true, too. I read in the quote retweets here's a gofundme started 8 hours ago, that's already raised 13500/15000 for his funeral expenses. We had intensive hazing at Benedictine back when as any who went there knows well, and due to circumstances surrounding my family and background I was for many reasons hazed much harder than others in my class (*LONG story there), but none of it involved alcohol, and we were told day one of freshman year, you had the right to refuse anything that endangered your life if it ever went that far. Hazing ended with my senior year. What they talking about is some flat out stupid, reckless, lawsuit provocative sht. Last time I heard of something like this was Hampden-Sydney and that was a multimillion-dollar settlement.

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanlamb

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Sounds like they already had been recently but ban was lifted. Yeah and sounds like it's true, too. I read in the quote retweets here's a gofundme started 8 hours ago, that's already raised 13500/15000 for his funeral expenses. We had intensive hazing at Benedictine back when as any who went there knows well, and due to circumstances surrounding my family and background I was for many reasons hazed much harder than others in my class (*LONG story there), but none of it involved alcohol, and we were told day one of freshman year, you had the right to refuse anything that endangered your life if it ever went that far. Hazing ended with my senior year. What they talking about is some flat out stupid, reckless, lawsuit provocative sht. Last time I heard of something like this was Hampden-Sydney and that was a multimillion-dollar settlement.
There is a GoFundMe for the student’s final expenses here:

Reactions: Ovis fan

Bridgewater83

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Not my experience at Benedictine at all.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Brace maggot brace!!!
Cadet colonel hunted me down several times per day screaming my name from as far as the other side of the block. You might not recall this in our early days but my brother pulled up in the parking lot when we were in the front leaning rest position, music blasting telling me to "get in", colonel and him engaged in screaming match, and yelling at me, they hated each other. I finally followed my brother's order. That linked me to the colonel for the rest of the year. I won't rag on him as I was told he died in a plane crash in the air force.

Reactions: Dabrie

Dabrie

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Cadet colonel hunted me down several times per day screaming my name from as far as the other side of the block. You might not recall this in our early days but my brother pulled up in the parking lot when we were in the front leaning rest position, music blasting telling me to "get in", colonel and him engaged in screaming match, and yelling at me, they hated each other. I finally followed my brother's order. That linked me to the colonel for the rest of the year. I won't rag on him as I was told he died in a plane crash in the air force.
I did not know about that, however, I do remember certain freshman that were singled out for various reasons.
I, personally, didn't have many problems with the hazing. Just went along with it.

Reactions: MobileMunchies

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
VCU issued a statement. It’s good that they’re doing something but they probably need to do more. It’s time to shutter the fraternities and sororities.

Not all of Greek life is like that. The ones that haze need to be held accountable and banned, but that doesn’t mean all Greek life needs to go. Lots are true support systems for their members and do lots of charitable work. I am sad for this young man and his family, and I hope VCU holds the organization responsible for this accountable. There’s no place for this. It’s so sad.

Reactions: Orion