VCU Media Mentions

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

Rams4Life

Top Member
Insider
Nov 20, 2011
I both support Bone's decision while also contending that his timing is off by a year.

And yes, overall a bummer of a read.
My heart tends to agree, but my head knows that betting on himself is definitely Bones’ thing. It’s worked out well for him so far and the chip on his shoulder has probably doubled in size after the way this past season ended. All he has to do is impress in workouts, and he can get into the late first round.

Bones, if you’re reading this: gym, kitchen, gym, kitchen, gym, kitchen, more kitchen, then sleep. Own this for the next 3 years and you’ll get to that second, more lucrative NBA contract. Talk to the guy in my avatar, he could give you a great blueprint on what it takes.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I both support Bone's decision while also contending that his timing is off by a year.

And yes, overall a bummer of a read.
Couldn't agree more.
My heart tends to agree, but my head knows that betting on himself is definitely Bones’ thing. It’s worked out well for him so far and the chip on his shoulder has probably doubled in size after the way this past season ended. All he has to do is impress in workouts, and he can get into the late first round.

Bones, if you’re reading this: gym, kitchen, gym, kitchen, gym, kitchen, more kitchen, then sleep. Own this for the next 3 years and you’ll get to that second, more lucrative NBA contract. Talk to the guy in my avatar, he could give you a great blueprint on what it takes.
I feel like if you're projected to be late first round or second round, and you have an extra year of eligibility and you believe in yourself, take the time to move up in the draft board. The salary difference between going 15th and 25th, for example, was worth 5 million in guaranteed money in 2020 and was a 50% pay raise (15 mil versus 10 mil). Second round picks aren't necessarily guaranteed any years, and the difference from going last in the first round to first in the second round in 2020, was 3 million, again a 50% pay cut (9 mil vs. 6 mil), where 2 million wasn't even guaranteed. Add on top of it that college basketball is probably more fun for players than the g-league (less travel, more fans, shorter season, living where you want to), the only real 'pro' of going pro a year early is eating a year of the rookie contract while you're young.

All of this is to say, I support Bones and his decision, but if it were me or someone I was advising, I'd say take another year in college.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013

Well my heart says no, but my mind says it's so

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Couldn't agree more.

I feel like if you're projected to be late first round or second round, and you have an extra year of eligibility and you believe in yourself, take the time to move up in the draft board. The salary difference between going 15th and 25th, for example, was worth 5 million in guaranteed money in 2020 and was a 50% pay raise (15 mil versus 10 mil). Second round picks aren't necessarily guaranteed any years, and the difference from going last in the first round to first in the second round in 2020, was 3 million, again a 50% pay cut (9 mil vs. 6 mil), where 2 million wasn't even guaranteed. Add on top of it that college basketball is probably more fun for players than the g-league (less travel, more fans, shorter season, living where you want to), the only real 'pro' of going pro a year early is eating a year of the rookie contract while you're young.

All of this is to say, I support Bones and his decision, but if it were me or someone I was advising, I'd say take another year in college.
Or you could do a knee or ankle and make $0.

I agree with your logic, but if you offered people where Bones grew up a $100 bill or a $1,000 check I bet most take the cash. Sure, the check is potentially ten times more valuable, but the Benjamin is definitely worth $100. If you made the same offer to folks on here, I'd bet those answers are reversed - most of us are in a position where the opportunity cost of possibly missing out on $100 is worth hopefully gaining $1,000. Neither answer is wrong, it's just a question of how much risk you're willing to accept; a bird in the hand and all that. And Bones has more reason than most to know life can change in the blink of an eye.

Social experiments aside, all these mich draft write-ups are purely speculative until after team workouts. I have a really tough time believing Bones won't impress at least one GM enough to cement a first round pick or a least a second round pick with a sizeable guarantee up front, which is becoming the norm. I have an even harder time imagining him in the G League.

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Or you could do a knee or ankle and make $0.
Sure. But there's no guarantee that you'll be drafted or get offered a contract worth taking. The 3rd pick in the second round last year signed a two-way, which had a min. salary of 78k (in a normal year). If the goal is to maximize value, I'd say there's less risk of inquiring yourself at college than in g-league because of the difference in season length and recovery times.

Reactions: mrgeode

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016