VCU Media Mentions

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Worst case scenario is that he gets hurt and never gets paid to play basketball. That has to be on his mind as well after an injury in high school and an injury scare this season as well.
I haven’t seen this come up but is there loss of value insurance in college basketball to hedge against a bad injury?

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
I’m not going to quote it, read for yourselves but that jamais winston stuff? Kinda goes against my grain. I guess if you don’t specify where your $ goes, it goes wherever, right?
/or at least it did and the landscape is changing. darn.

Apr 21, 2009
Not sure about Food Fair (I've seen the inside of the place before it was renovated and there were IGA logos on the walls and there was a small pharmacy in the middle of the store), but yes, it's now O'Reilly Auto Parts.

O'Reilly's had been in another part of the same shopping center, and that space is now divided between a surplus furniture store and an ABC store. It started as an unfinished furniture outlet.

It could have been both a Food Fair and an IGA. Food Fair's RVA stores were spun off the chain in the 80s and some were acquired by A&P. It is possible that store was purchased by an independent, rather than a chain, who was an IGA member (IGA stands for independent grocery association and is based on a franchise model, rather than a chain store model- basically allows independents to wholesale as a larger unit to have the buying power of a chain).

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
It could have been both a Food Fair and an IGA. Food Fair's RVA stores were spun off the chain in the 80s and some were acquired by A&P. It is possible that store was purchased by an independent, rather than a chain, who was an IGA member (IGA stands for independent grocery association and is based on a franchise model, rather than a chain store model- basically allows independents to wholesale as a larger unit to have the buying power of a chain).
Makes sense. It was definitely before my time so I appreciate the explanation!

Apr 21, 2009
Makes sense. It was definitely before my time so I appreciate the explanation!

It was before my time as well, but I spent some time as a Supervalu shareholder (and happily accepted $32.50 a share to go away when United bought it some years ago), and was fascinated with Richmond's position as a grocery store test market. We have a fascinating supermarket history in this city.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
He is the best beat reporter ever for us but Robbie has a long way to go to overtake Terry, on the radio side. But he's so close!!

Reactions: G-Man