VCU Media Mentions

RESRam

Insider
Wayne has been a fantastic sportswriter. The previous guy the RTD had was also pretty decent, but Wayne is a big step above. Then of course there was Packett.....rarely if ever a positive VCU sports story.
Well Packett was a UR grad.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Well Packett was a UR grad.
Yes, I know. But he was also playing at being a journalist.....sports journalist. Journalists should be unbiased. Perhaps he was just before his time considering how biased many journalists and reporters are these days.
I think Wayne is positive towards VCU but he is also fair in his writing

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Perhaps he was just before his time considering how biased many journalists and reporters are these days.
I hear this all the time but I am sure Edward R. Murrow had biases. Everyone does. The difference is that these days we have commentary shows on left or right leaning networks along with social media. If you disagree with a reporter's opinion or story it leads to questions of bias.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I hear this all the time but I am sure Edward R. Murrow had biases. Everyone does. The difference is that these days we have commentary shows on left or right leaning networks along with social media. If you disagree with a reporter's opinion or story it leads to questions of bias.
And you said it right there.....opinion. News shows have now become op-ed pieces rather than fact and news based shows. A lot of the opinion is not even based on any type of analysis or assessment of the actual facts or evidence. In fact, some of it is outright lies. BTW, that is my "opinion" and I am sticking to it :)

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
Yes, I know. But he was also playing at being a journalist.....sports journalist. Journalists should be unbiased. Perhaps he was just before his time considering how biased many journalists and reporters are these days.
I think Wayne is positive towards VCU but he is also fair in his writing

This reminds me of one of my life stories. Remember when they used to have SOAR day at langley. Basically, a career day where the school invited professionals in each classroom to conduct an orientation of their chosen career? We'd rotate between lectures between class periods.

Well back in maybe '79...i went to the langley auditorium to see ben bradley, then editor of the washington post, to hear about journalism.

I sat at the back of the auditorium. When Q&A time came, i raised my hand to ask him about bias in journalism..he called on me..
I stood up..but as i began to ask..my temporary denture..(my front teeth got knocked out falling off some monkey bars a few years earlier) got caught on my gums..and words came out of my mouth jumbled...so i took the denture out of my mouth in front of ben bradley and the entire auditorium and said "excuse me"...there was loud audible "eeeewwww" from hundreds of students in the auditorium...ben bradley was visibly horrified and said.."please..just ask your question".. so i asked him why news could not be reported in an unbiased manner? He answered my question but he was still visibly disturbed by the denture in my hand....people clapped at the end of the exchange for some reason..not sure why..

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
This reminds me of one of my life stories. Remember when they used to have SOAR day at langley. Basically, a career day where the school invited professionals in each classroom to conduct an orientation of their chosen career? We'd rotate between lectures between class periods.

Well back in maybe '79...i went to the langley auditorium to see ben bradley, then editor of the washington post, to hear about journalism.

I sat at the back of the auditorium. When Q&A time came, i raised my hand to ask him about bias in journalism..he called on me..
I stood up..but as i began to ask..my temporary denture..(my front teeth got knocked out falling off some monkey bars a few years earlier) got caught on my gums..and words came out of my mouth jumbled...so i took the denture out of my mouth in front of ben bradley and the entire auditorium and said "excuse me"...there was loud audible "eeeewwww" from hundreds of students in the auditorium...ben bradley was visibly horrified and said.."please..just ask your question".. so i asked him why news could not be reported in an unbiased manner? He answered my question but he was still visibly disturbed by the denture in my hand....people clapped at the end of the exchange for some reason..not sure why..
What a toothless story

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member

This explains a lot.

Gopher+RamFan

Elite Member

Langley High School?

Ramlove81

Elite Member
And you said it right there.....opinion. News shows have now become op-ed pieces rather than fact and news based shows. A lot of the opinion is not even based on any type of analysis or assessment of the actual facts or evidence. In fact, some of it is outright lies. BTW, that is my "opinion" and I am sticking to it :)
Yes, I don't mind some opinion if it is analysis backed by some good research (googling it and pick what you like doesn't count). But you're right much of what we get now has no basis in fact at all.