VCU Mike's

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
....Doles, Fling, Brown, Brown (Hopewell), Schlegel (RIP), Hargett (RIP).

Did I miss anyone? Of course, Mike Brown of the JD era was an amazing and solid player for us. He came to us from Hopewell HS and Terry Sisisky loved him (He always drew the toughest defender including future NBA player Johnny Newman on countless occasions...and he weathered JD). Mike Doles was a local guy who was fun to watch (I consider him a "bridge player.") Our other Mike Brown was a solid JUCO transfer and we lost him during a practice his senior year (google Lionel Bacon's tribute). Can't think of a sadder time for our Rams. Mike Hargett came to us from GMU for one year, a jazz lover, and we lost him before his time.

Mike Schlegel will be forever on my avatar as an all-time Ram, rough, tough Long Island kid that just knew how to win. How he mixed in with Rolando and Calvin was so beautiful to see. He is one of our best post players ever, hands down. I've posted before that I was on campus during Mike's time and our paths crossed.

And Mike Fling -- I count as a friend -- was the very first VCU player in 1968 to sign a letter of intent as a Ram to VCU's Benny Dees. Mike, who hails from Warranton, VA, cheers the Rams to this day. He was a rough and tumble 6'8" post player that complemented the likes of Charles Wilkins and Keith Lawson (RIP).

Speaking of Terry S., it's hard to believe he's been gone for 6 1/2 years - brother, brother. His call of the "dagger" will forever be VCU history.

Yeah, I love Ram history.......

Last edited:

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
....Doles, Fling, Brown, Brown (Hopewell), Schlegel (RIP), Hargett (RIP).

Mike Schlegel will be forever on my avatar as an all-time Ram, rough, tough Long Island kid that just knew how to win. How he mixed in with Rolando and Calvin was so beautiful to see. He is one of our best post players ever, hands down. I've posted before that I was on campus during Mike's time and our paths crossed.
Schlegel will forever be my favorite ram player. Those 3 you mentioned were probably the best trio we ever had. Maynor, Larry and Shu come close.... But those 3 were tough as nails.

Reactions: rammed