VCU non-conference regional bubble?

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
This 100%. There is no good reason for Power 5 schools to associate themselves with the likes of Longwood etc in any sort of bubble.

With most colleges doing distance learning there is no need for schools to be tied to a bubble based off of geography. ACC/Big 10 etc could easily create their own OOC buble and get games in.

If there's no need to associate themselves with the likes of Longwood in a bubble, why do they routinely schedule the likes of Longwood during non-conference play year-in and year-out, where they not only play the likes of Longwood, they pay them?

Reactions: SWV and rollins77

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
If there's no need to associate themselves with the likes of Longwood in a bubble, why do they routinely schedule the likes of Longwood during non-conference play year-in and year-out, where they not only play the likes of Longwood, they pay them?
Because they need home games for ticket revenue. They are also trying to buy wins, but things will be different with no crowds and no home court advantage. If there are OOC games I would assume the football conferences would just play a few games against each other.

Reactions: MarylandRamFan

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I think it has more to do with the P5 conferences aligning to figure out non-conference bubble scenarios. It is not necessarily about not wanting to associate themselves with the likes of Longwood.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Because they need home games for ticket revenue. They are also trying to buy wins, but things will be different with no crowds and no home court advantage. If there are OOC games I would assume the football conferences would just play a few games against each other.
1) In regards to ticket revenue, I think you'd agree that UNC or Duke could either sell more tickets or more expensive tickets for Kentucky or Florida than they can for Longwood. So then it comes down to whether 1 home game against Kentucky is worth more than 2 home games against Longwood, including the buyouts. I'm not sure if that holds up, or at least to the extent where it makes a significant financial difference, which brings us to 2), which I think is the real reason why we have buy games.

2) If there's an NCAA tournament, which I think conferences have to assume while planning for the season, it would still behoove them to play some easier opponents in order to increase their conference's NET. If P5's skip OOC or only play each other, a conference like the A10 could leapfrog them if the A10 goes out and dismantles other mid and low majors because our conference would be filled with 'tougher' opponents. Further, elite P5 schools could probably host bubbles at their home arena, which would still provide some home court advantage even if the arenas are empty or partially full.

I think it has more to do with the P5 conferences aligning to figure out non-conference bubble scenarios. It is not necessarily about not wanting to associate themselves with the likes of Longwood.

Not sure I follow. They want to align so they have the same safety protocols, have equal culpability if something goes awry, or something else?

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
This in one example of what is being talked about.
That article is asinine. First, it fails to understand the concept of a bubble. It suggests playing the Big East during Thanksgiving, and then the ACC the following week. The whole point of a bubble is to control the spread by not traveling/interacting with different cohorts. And then there's the competitive aspect, since losing one or two of your challenge days will mean most of your teams have horrific OOC records, the conference SOS would be extremely weak.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I've been chatting w/ my friends that the bubble is going to be how college basketball will be played this season. The TBT, NBA and WNBA as well as Canadian and other leagues have set the template for the NCAA to use. I'm guessing that logistically speaking, having non-conference bubbles is going to be a massive undertaking. It would be a conference championship like effort and I'm not sure the economics would work. My guess is, this is all going to be conference bubbles, and the big challenge will be do they have an NCAA tournament. and if they do, how the heck do they determine who is in or out? All the models go out the window which unfairly advantages the power five schools.
I think if the testing can get to a point where they know who is or isn't sick that will change everything. It Will be interesting to see what happens in the many ways and places that impact our basketball season.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
That article is asinine. First, it fails to understand the concept of a bubble. It suggests playing the Big East during Thanksgiving, and then the ACC the following week. The whole point of a bubble is to control the spread by not traveling/interacting with different cohorts. And then there's the competitive aspect, since losing one or two of your challenge days will mean most of your teams have horrific OOC records, the conference SOS would be extremely weak.
Pretty much all of the articles are spitballing in regards to OOC play.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Pretty much all of the articles are spitballing in regards to OOC play.

I get it. No one knows what's going to happen. But realistically, the only two viable options are to either do all conference games, which puts pressure on the NCAA to select teams mostly on qualitative terms, or create a OOC that blends tough and weaker competition so P5s can rack up scalps from lower conferences. P5 only playing P5 will likely diminish the standing of some conference/teams, which is not the modus operandi of P5s.

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009

Paying a team $500k to come to your arena and lose by 50 is a business transaction and it isn't a long term OOC association. What good would UVA going into a bubble with longwood and Hampton do UVA?

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I've been chatting w/ my friends that the bubble is going to be how college basketball will be played this season. The TBT, NBA and WNBA as well as Canadian and other leagues have set the template for the NCAA to use. I'm guessing that logistically speaking, having non-conference bubbles is going to be a massive undertaking. It would be a conference championship like effort and I'm not sure the economics would work. My guess is, this is all going to be conference bubbles, and the big challenge will be do they have an NCAA tournament. and if they do, how the heck do they determine who is in or out? All the models go out the window which unfairly advantages the power five schools.
I think if the testing can get to a point where they know who is or isn't sick that will change everything. It Will be interesting to see what happens in the many ways and places that impact our basketball season.

That's easy. The top 2/3 of all p6 teams get in, and everyone else can fight over what's left.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Paying a team $500k to come to your arena and lose by 50 is a business transaction and it isn't a long term OOC association. What good would UVA going into a bubble with longwood and Hampton do UVA?
For the easier wins, like always.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Insider
Feb 25, 2011
TBH, I haven't read those, but there's a very fatal flaw with doing away with non-conference. Without a non-conference, less P5s will make the NCAA. It would be pretty hard to let a 8-8 Miami in when its only wins are against 2 or 3 win NC State, and WF. While there's been discussions about the P5 blowing up the NCAA tournament, that's only been discussed as a consequence of P5 football breaking off. I can't see the P5 destroying March Madness for a weird COVID year.
I wouldn't put it past them. Does anyone recall an instance, ever, of someone representing a Power 5 conference or associated school making a serious case for a non Power program getting in the tournament at the expense of one of their own? In the past decade it's become increasingly clear to me that a handful of conferences are not at all concerned about the health or welfare of anyone outside their group.