Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
With no fans in attendance winning on the road isn’t as hard as it usually is.

Absent the fans, you are still on the road. You are staying in a hotel, vs. your own dorm room, and playing in an arena you may not be familiar with. Going to Davidson is not like going to South Dakota, where everyone is basically the visiting team.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Absent the fans, you are still on the road. You are staying in a hotel, vs. your own dorm room, and playing in an arena you may not be familiar with. Going to Davidson is not like going to South Dakota, where everyone is basically the visiting team.
Agree to some extent. There is a lot to deal with on the road, but of all programs, we know what a crowd can mean to the home team. That advantage taken away evens the things up quite a bit.
I'd like to see what some of the analytic guru guys are doing with this. Has Kenpom changed his home vs. away vs. neutral court formula? I would think it would change some.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Insider
Feb 25, 2011
There are already several conferences playing back to back games against the same opponent because they planned their conference schedules accordingly. Not sure why the A10 does not have a public plan on how to handle postponed games. Seems like a rudderless ship. Man the lighthouse!
Duquesne and GW are playing their second of a back-to-back series this afternoon. Reasonable enough solution to me. I don't have any concerns over having to do something similar in and empty gym if needed.

northernvatiger

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
When will we know about the status of this Wednesday's game at GMU? Or is it a foregone conclusion that it's canceled?

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
See my comment earlier. A split at Davidson is a net positive for the resume.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
See my comment earlier. A split at Davidson is a net positive for the resume.

And you are assuming VCU splits with Davidson at Davidson. VCU does not need to see how tough the A-10 can make the schedule for them in order to help their NET. VCU is a very young team and the second half of February is already a brutal schedule for them. Adding a second game at Davidson would have VCU finishing with road games against Davidson (2 games), St. Bonaventure and Dayton, along with home games against fmason and SLU. Being as young as VCU is, they need actual wins in conference play more than they need help with the NET. They don't need to schedule themselves into a middle of the pack A-10 finish.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
This is where I would love to hear what former players have to say. I could see the hotel room away from possible distractions of campus a net positive. I could also see the different sight lines, floors, and rims to be a bigger issue than I think it is.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
There are already several conferences playing back to back games against the same opponent because they planned their conference schedules accordingly. Not sure why the A10 does not have a public plan on how to handle postponed games. Seems like a rudderless ship. Man the lighthouse!
Have you heard anything about the conference and or NCAA tournament dates? It is a quick turnaround between the conference tournament and first four with a lot of travel and games played.

Jan 16, 2020
Prolly contact tracing from a sick davidson coed wanting to make a scene.

This isn't first time the Rams have had a home game called off ... forget the details, but a long-ago contest was postponed due to condensation on Coliseum floor .... believe it was vs. South Florida or Jacksonville .... the visiting team just packed up and went home. That's when VCU shared the Coliseum with the pro hockey team. You win some. You lose some. And sometimes the floor is too wet to play.

Reactions: austindr