VCU Rams Football Program

Discussion in 'General VCU Sports' started by 92RAM, Jun 17, 2014.

?

Would you contribute $5,000, right now, toward a definite 2019 VCU Inaugural Football Program?

1. YES, I would contribute at least that amount and buy season tix!

16 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. GFY

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  3. NO! NO! NO!

60 vote(s)
    48.0%
  4. The best thread on this forum is the DELETE ME thread!

18 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

and a baseball school, and a soccer school, and a tennis school, and a golf school, and a T&F School. If we want to add anything we can add softball, women's golf. women's rowing, and men's Lax

2. Cyniclone

Cyniclone Hall of Famer Top Member

Football prevents VCU from having golf, tennis, track & field and soccer? Also, does anyone consider VCU a baseball school or a tennis school or what have you?

3. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend Top Member

It could yes... at least on the Mens side..... because for every scholarship you have for mens teams.... you have to have an equal number of scholarships for the women.... So if we were to add a college football team.... 1 of 2 things would have to happen. Either we add more scholarships to women sports (probably would need more sports)... OR.... we would have to take away from the current Mens Scholarships.

4. Cyniclone

That's fair, though I was thinking in terms of calling VCU a "golf school" or a "tennis school". It's good that they offer these sports but if you ask 100 people on a random street in a random city what sport they think of when they think VCU, basketball is the only answer they'll give. Even acknowledging that men's tennis was closer than men's basketball to an NCAA title.

When ODU started football, they planned to add women's sports to offset the scholarship disparity. Volleyball is coming in 2020 and beach volleyball might follow suit apparently. Softball was on the boards for a while, but they don't have anywhere to play (which is probably why you won't see VCU softball for a long time). But ODU added football, then moved to FBS without folding any men's sports, so at any rate it's possible.

All a thought exercise, of course; I've pretty much given up on seeing VCU football in my lifetime.

5. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

everybody who follows those sports since we make the NCAAs in them - of course folks who are here for Hoops don't have a clue

6. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

that's why he was hired - but have underachieved so far

7. vcu70

vcu70 Legend Top Member

I see Middle Tenn beat Syracuse today at Cuse. Football is killing their BB program.:roll:
    I wonder how many anti football people here have ever been to a big time college FB game with 75-100K fans or traveled to an away FB game and still have 35-40K fans travel with you. Makes the Stu seem like a HS crowd.

Btw, our last 4 BB coaches left for 4 of the biggest FB schools in the country, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama. Just coincidence I guess.

#187 vcu70, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    vcugq08 likes this.
  8. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

by their do mean 'Cuse? :lol:

vcu70 likes this.
  9. 92RAM

92RAM All-Star

10. AlienAiden

AlienAiden Legend Top Member

The poll result says, No No No

92RAM and RowdyPkunk like this.
  11. 92RAM

92RAM All-Star

You know you want it AA! From the good old days when GFY was a required poll option.

12. Cyniclone

As if the odds of VCU starting football weren't slim enough, City Stadium isn't really an option anymore with the Kickers signing a 40-year lease with the city for it while pledging to pay for $20 million of improvements.

I like football and I like VCU so I want VCU to have football but barring a miracle on the level of someone parting the Red Sea while using five loaves of bread and two fish to 5,000 fans watching them coach Chaminade to victory over U.Va., it's not going to happen.