Recruiting VCU Recruiting

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Couldn't wait to find something optimistic so you could pour some water on it could you.

The kids aren't even on campus, and if every recruiting class since Capel was VCU's best, then VCU would have made it to the second weekend of the NCAA's more than once. Last year's recruiting class was also the best one VCU has had. Nothing matters until they show up and perform on the court. Recruiting classes are determined by their collegiate playing careers, not by their arbitrary ranking prior to even setting foot on campus.

Reactions: DCDuck

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Hyperbole aside it’s nice to have a class that looks talented. Let folks be excited

I hear you, but look at all the hype PJ Byrd received on these message boards prior to setting foot on campus/early in his freshman season and how did that work out for Byrd and VCU? And I can name other players in the same boat.

Reactions: DCDuck

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
The kids aren't even on campus, and if every recruiting class since Capel was VCU's best, then VCU would have made it to the second weekend of the NCAA's more than once. Last year's recruiting class was also the best one VCU has had. Nothing matters until they show up and perform on the court. Recruiting classes are determined by their collegiate playing careers, not by their arbitrary ranking prior to even setting foot on campus.
Pack, you're right, but give us a few minutes to see some stars and rainbows before you chime in with such stark realism please!

Reactions: Hops

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Pack, you're right, but give us a few minutes to see some stars and rainbows before you chime in with such stark realism please!

I hear you. I'm also excited with what I see, but I have followed this program long enough to know I also need to be cautiously optimistic until they set foot on the court. I also know that any other addition to the roster at this point will also mean a subtraction, so any other news this weekend could possibly be bittersweet.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Look, I don't know anything for sure. I don't talk to Bones. He doesn't ask for my advice. But I think anyone who has been paying attention has known for months now that a return was unlikely. It has not gotten more likely, and it sure looks to the neutral observer that the staff (which you would think knows what's what) has been planning since the season ended to compete next year without him. I am mentally preparing for that too.

If Bones comes back, no one will be more delighted than me, I promise you. But no one would be more surprised at this point, and I am just thrilled to see that the staff refuses to be caught without a replacement plan. I think we will see that plan unfold this weekend.

As for Wolfpack's cold water, I agree that there is a giddy excitement for new toys every year, and in every year there are disappointments. I suspect this year won't be any different. But I do think that a few of the guys we have signed (and will sign) have very, very high ceilings, and others fit neatly into apparent holes in the roster. I'm excited.

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
10 PPG in 20MPg in Pac12 as a Soph.
Very strange usage but the guy can clearly score.
how do you potentially replace 19Ppg from a conference POy? The core guys coming back score a little more than they did (Jamir, Ace, Banks, Ward, Vince, ((Curry, MBJ, Levi)) and the guys you bring in As transfers so far should more than make up the rest. The freshman contributions are just icing.
I hate to say it, but we are loaded. With it without Bones. What a roster reconstruction by the staff since that big class of evans Jenkins crow Vann graduated.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
10 PPG in 20MPg in Pac12 as a Soph.
Very strange usage but the guy can clearly score.
how do you potentially replace 19Ppg from a conference POy? The core guys coming back score a little more than they did (Jamir, Ace, Banks, Ward, Vince, ((Curry, MBJ, Levi)) and the guys you bring in As transfers so far should more than make up the rest. The freshman contributions are just icing.
I hate to say it, but we are loaded. With it without Bones. What a roster reconstruction by the staff since that big class of evans Jenkins crow Vann graduated.
Not many college players, anywhere, have the same outside range Bones has. That puts lots of stress on opposing defenses. Will be difficult to replace that, whenever he leaves.

Reactions: mrgeode and DCDuck