Recruiting VCU Recruiting

warning rant ahead:
truly disappointed in NCAA sports and this whole NIL. A saw a post from DL reluctantly accepting that we are most likely out on Elmarko and Demary. I truly believe we would have had a better chance of landing these athletes if NIL did Not exist. Per DL posts we were on these athletes longer than most, but in the end none of that matters anymore. Money matters
You cannot blame the players.

NIL has truly just made the rich get richer
and we are now “entrenched“ in a world of: “undervalued” “lots of upside” “overlooked” players. And “soured opinions” of how we’ll get them when they get rejected.

it must frustrate coaches as well, hopefully not enough to create an - if you cannot beat them join them mentality..

rungs of the ladder of success have been removed making it much more difficult to compete Which, Over time it is going to spoil the tournament. Cinderellas will be much fewer. TV games will cater to the elite. NIL is going to change everything and not in a good way.

cannot wrap my head around who thought this was the best solution for NCAA

The world of college sports is going to look so dramatically different within 20 years. We won't recognize it. NIL is just one factor.

The biggest factor is the generations coming behind us are not interested in sports, unless they play them, like are.
We like sports because we played them even if the highest level we achieved is backyard. Kids don't play backyard sports anymore. They play video games.

One example and I really don't get this at all. My son has the highest TRN ranking in Virginia for Fortnite. He has a lot of followers (sound familiar). He has a lot of people asking him to play for their team (hmm). People actually get online when he's playing to watch him (check). He hasn't pursued it yet, but people want to sponsor him (like NIL) to go pro where their are people who gamble on the results of tournaments (sounds familiar again). All this because this is his generations version of our backyard sports.

Early RIP NCAA

2012Ram

Elite Member
I think it's too early to know how this will all unfold and the impact it will have on the sport. Early returns are worrying but you can say that about any paradigm shift.

I do know a few things though:
  1. These kids should have the same rights to earn money off their names as anyone else.
  2. Big, crappy schools with tons of money will beat smaller, better schools with less NIL capabilities
  3. But they can only have so many kids on a roster
  4. The bigger issue will be the proposed unlimited free transfer stuff
  5. We offer like 50 or more kids a year. We are gonna miss on around 47 to 48 of them.
  6. You can get to the NBA from VCU and our staff can get you there. If another 5k for a year at DePaul makes you choose them over us, so be it
  7. On the same note, 5k can mean a whole whole lot to people who have never seen that much at one time in their lives
So, I'm taking a sit back and watch approach.

I will say that i have heard we are basically getting bought out of priority targets by desperate football schools with deep NIL caches and that really sucks for us and the staff. That sort of thing has always happened with shady schools but now that even the above board guys can do it, it's going into overdrive.

We will have to change too. Whether that's our approach or expectations remains to be seen.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I think the great equalizer for schools like VCU will be the transfer portal recruiter by obtaining former top 100's like John's and Zeb Jackson due a numbers game at their former school.

If they both take advantage of their opportunities here, succeed and parlay them into professional careers then VCU can sell it to future portal prospects.

I think it's too early to know how this will all unfold and the impact it will have on the sport. Early returns are worrying but you can say that about any paradigm shift.

I do know a few things though:
  1. These kids should have the same rights to earn money off their names as anyone else.
  2. Big, crappy schools with tons of money will beat smaller, better schools with less NIL capabilities
  3. But they can only have so many kids on a roster
  4. The bigger issue will be the proposed unlimited free transfer stuff
  5. We offer like 50 or more kids a year. We are gonna miss on around 47 to 48 of them.
  6. You can get to the NBA from VCU and our staff can get you there. If another 5k for a year at DePaul makes you choose them over us, so be it
  7. On the same note, 5k can mean a whole whole lot to people who have never seen that much at one time in their lives
So, I'm taking a sit back and watch approach.

I will say that i have heard we are basically getting bought out of priority targets by desperate football schools with deep NIL caches and that really sucks for us and the staff. That sort of thing has always happened with shady schools but now that even the above board guys can do it, it's going into overdrive.

We will have to change too. Whether that's our approach or expectations remains to be seen.
Spencer Ratler QB that transfered in to South Carolina 2mil in NIL😳.
its not Thousands but 10‘s of thousands- Power conferences with Football will have plenty to hand down to other sports As well.

nC State Will lose basketball games but, can provide life changing money to a family regardless.
If the kid is as good as recruitment then he’ll have the proverbial cake and eat it.

Ramdog

Elite Member
NIL may bind you to a school...deal may run for multi years

The game has changed and not for the better and not for the better for VCU

being the school that players go to when they are not good enuff to play elsewhere will not get us to where we want to be..and where we have been before.

It's a different world

duncanlamb

Elite Member

Back in January '22, Lawrent Rice was a 4* pg out of Ohio with final 8 that included

Georgetown, Kansas St. , Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, VCU, Xavier and Ohio Stste.

As late as July, he had Ohio state and Louisville chomping at the bit.

He had a so-so peach jam and they all dropped him like a bad habit. Today he committed to Murray state!

My point is there are lots of good players that didn't make they most of the exposure from the aau season but they are still have 4* talent..

Kachi Nzeh is another example...we will get 4* talent...probably undervalued due to lack of exposure or maybe not the best aau summer

Last edited:

WI.Ram10

Elite Member

Back in January '22, Lawrent Rice was a 4* pg out of Ohio with final 8 that included

Georgetown, Kansas St. , Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, VCU, Xavier and Ohio Stste.

As late as July, he had Ohio state and Louisville chomping at the bit.

He had a so-so peach jam and they all dropped him like a bad habit. Today he committed to Murray state!

My point is there are lots of good players that didn't make they most of the exposure from the aau season but they are still have 4* talent..

Kachi Nzeh is another example...we will get 4* talent...probably undervalued due to lack of exposure or maybe not the best aau summer
Another point should be that top 8 doesn’t mean final 8. Only “top 8…for now”