- Dec 30, 2011
Recruiting shutdown begins today and lasts through Saturday so I wouldn’t expect any big news this week.
Spencer Ratler QB that transfered in to South Carolina 2mil in NIL.I think it's too early to know how this will all unfold and the impact it will have on the sport. Early returns are worrying but you can say that about any paradigm shift.
I do know a few things though:
So, I'm taking a sit back and watch approach.
- These kids should have the same rights to earn money off their names as anyone else.
- Big, crappy schools with tons of money will beat smaller, better schools with less NIL capabilities
- But they can only have so many kids on a roster
- The bigger issue will be the proposed unlimited free transfer stuff
- We offer like 50 or more kids a year. We are gonna miss on around 47 to 48 of them.
- You can get to the NBA from VCU and our staff can get you there. If another 5k for a year at DePaul makes you choose them over us, so be it
- On the same note, 5k can mean a whole whole lot to people who have never seen that much at one time in their lives
I will say that i have heard we are basically getting bought out of priority targets by desperate football schools with deep NIL caches and that really sucks for us and the staff. That sort of thing has always happened with shady schools but now that even the above board guys can do it, it's going into overdrive.
We will have to change too. Whether that's our approach or expectations remains to be seen.
Another point should be that top 8 doesn’t mean final 8. Only “top 8…for now”
Back in January '22, Lawrent Rice was a 4* pg out of Ohio with final 8 that included
Georgetown, Kansas St. , Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, VCU, Xavier and Ohio Stste.
As late as July, he had Ohio state and Louisville chomping at the bit.
He had a so-so peach jam and they all dropped him like a bad habit. Today he committed to Murray state!
My point is there are lots of good players that didn't make they most of the exposure from the aau season but they are still have 4* talent..
Kachi Nzeh is another example...we will get 4* talent...probably undervalued due to lack of exposure or maybe not the best aau summer