Recruiting VCU Recruiting

KAdams

Top Member
Jan 31, 2015
This says Kenny Williams is "Cool" on VCU. Who fills this out? Tevin Mack is still committed.

Aric Holman is "Warmer." Hmm
Holman has been noted as "Warmer" since December when I was scrolling through this site... Almost every recruit is at "Cool" until they officially visit or strongly hint that they are going to a school. Nothing to be concerned with, nobody truly knows where these kids are going except for their families and their coaches. Just wait until something official I guess.

KAdams

Top Member
Jan 31, 2015
What's weird is that Kenny has 4-5 predictions from the past two days on 247Sports that he'll go to Michigan... I didn't even know they were in the hunt. Nobody has predicted us to re-land him, just Michigan & GTown.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I don't think anyone knows what our chances are with any of the recruits we were looking at 10 days ago. Some of the previously offered recruits might drop off the board to be replaced by new names. An entirely new recruiting board is going to evolve over the next 3-6 months.

I also don't think anyone was saying Buckingham wasn't good enough for us. We just had a serious numbers crunch and were going to be in a position where it might have been either Cujo or Buckingham but not both. That's clearly not an issue now. We should have plenty of room for both if they are still interested.

I do agree that something like 2011 is going to be needed to reignite recruiting. We don't need to go to the Final Four, but we do need to have a good year, get into the NCAA Tournament, and make some March noise. My guess is that many recruits are going to sit back and watch what we do next year. Our coaches can talk about continuing Havoc and making some minor changes, but that's just going to be talk until the product is put out onto the floor. Recruits are going to want to meet Coach Wade and hear what he has to say, but they're also going to want to see exactly what kind of system he puts on the floor next fall/winter and how successful it is. This is the reason I'm a bit concerned. If high end recruits wait until we've played a season before getting on board, then this coaching change hurts both the 2015 and 2016 classes. We'll have to wait and see, but I really think next season is important. We can't afford to have a down year while we adjust and the coaches learn on the job. Coach Wade and his staff really have to hit the ground running both on the recruiting trails and on the court.
Outstanding JOB @VCU Heel !!!! This place was totally in chaos on the recruiting thing. Too many threads...too little information.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
This says Kenny Williams is "Cool" on VCU. Who fills this out? Tevin Mack is still committed.

Aric Holman is "Warmer." Hmm
These guys know even less than we do and that's going pretty far down the totem-pole....

Edit: I was going to get in the old creepy recruiting thread and tell folks to use this one, but didn't want to bump it. Maybe it will just fade away to the nether-pages...hopefully.

Edit 2: 247 probably read a few message boards for their information. They sure don't have the inside scoop.

Last edited:
Reactions: KAdams
Nov 20, 2010
My question with recruiting is do we really have a shot at guys like Cujo now? Obviously that was pre Wade. I am just guessing here but before some where almost saying Buckingham wasn't good enough for us only wanted cujo. I think the tables have turned and we would be happy to have Buckingham.

If we are going to get back to where we were recruiting wise (top 100's constantly, and snag a few top 50's), then we have do 2011 or something similar again to get wade some national notoriety. I am not knocking Wade at all (very happy with the hire), just reality is we aren't were we were on the recruiting trails at VCU i don't believe. Hoping these guys prove me wrong.
"we aren't were we were on the recruiting trails at VCU" Based on what, exactly? Just because Smart leaves, that doesn't mean have to go back to hoping and praying a 3* will visit.

Reactions: RamBo

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Considering the guys WW and Rasheen Davis have been offering, we have not skipped a beat in our recruiting pursuit save the 2015 class.
The get of Rasheen cannot be understated in cementing VCU's new and improved machine. Rasheen is another up and comer that has proven himself and gives us a better NYC connection. Plus, he knows how to win games. I feel bad for the Jaspers, but not bad enough to give him a huge welcome. Best to the Jaspers. They are a tough out no matter who they play.

Would absolutely love to see a H&H with the Jaspers. Get's us up there for more exposure and good solid games.

The best recruit of the 2015 class by far, no matter who stays.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Tevin Mack is about to officially be let out of his LOI. He's still going to consider VCU but I wouldn't put your money on it. Dude loves VCU's fans but I think Will Wade has his work cutout for him on this one. I highly recommend you guys ramp those tweets back up.

KAdams

Top Member
Jan 31, 2015
Tevin Mack is about to officially be let out of his LOI. He's still going to consider VCU but I wouldn't put your money on it. Dude loves VCU's fans but I think Will Wade has his work cutout for him on this one. I highly recommend you guys ramp those tweets back up.
:cry: this has been quite demoralizing

Reactions: MobileMunchies

Scooter

Top Member
Jun 2, 2013
I don't understand why WW and his whole staff aren't in Florida at the allstar game Tevin is playing in

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I don't understand why WW and his whole staff aren't in Florida at the allstar game Tevin is playing in
Won't make a difference. This kid has been cuddled by a million dudes in suits and is probably way tired of it. Fun at first, not so fun later. If he wants out, he's not the guy we want. Great player, but he has to do what he thinks he should do. Unless one of the power 10 are offering, he's not going to get a better shot at displaying his skills to the NBA than in RVA. That's his choice though and kids are kids. We really don't know what makes him tick. He committed pretty quickly after his visit though. There is hope, but don't be at all surprised if he leaves. Will and company are in contact. If they can't get it done, it can't be done.

He's gotta feel good about where he's going. I'd want that for myself. Whatever he decides, I wish him the best.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Let's say there's only 10% chance of Mack staying no matter what Wade does, but a better than 50% chance he could snag someone good out of the Nike EYBL. What do you do? Of course, none of us really know the circumstances, but its possible Wade is getting indicators it's not a good use of his efforts at this point with Mack.

Reactions: RamStrut