Recruiting VCU WBB Recruiting Thread

Just heard the news on Camille Calhoun ending her basketball career after suffering 2 ACL tears. Sad to see her go, but completely understand and more than glad that she will still be obtaining her Masters. Best of Luck!!

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Just heard the news on Camille Calhoun ending her basketball career after suffering 2 ACL tears. Sad to see her go, but completely understand and more than glad that she will still be obtaining her Masters. Best of Luck!!

Dang! :(

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
So now... with Camille's career on the court over.... that makes 9 players outgoing & only 5 incoming.... leaving us at 11 players..... theoretically with 4 spots open. Wonder, How many spots will be filled of them?

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Not going to lie.... I'm worried about this coming year..... first real time I've said this about our WBB team since I've started following the program.

As if losing 6 seniors weren't enough.... then we lose Kat & Meemo who were gonna be huge for us next year.... Then we lose one of our recruits (Chloe Molloy) who decided to play professional rugby in Australia instead of basketball.... and now Camille's career is over.

So essentially we've lost 9 players & 1 recruit in the last month+.

As of right now we have 11 players for next year.... 6 returners and 5 recruits.

We've seen some good stuff out of Maddox, Skinner and Gibson... Hammond is still a ? For me as we didn't see too much from her in her freshmen season.... and we didn't see anything from Nyra or Niya in game this year. And of the 5 recruits.... the only 2 I've really heard anything about are Taya and Sydnei.

So don't be too surprised if we are in for a long season this year...

Last edited:
Not going to lie.... I'm worried about this coming year..... first real time I've said this about our WBB team since I've started following the program.

As if losing 6 seniors weren't enough.... then we lose Kat & Meemo who were gonna be huge for us next year.... Then we lose one of our recruits (Chloe Molloy) who decided to play professional rugby in Australia instead of basketball.... and now Camille's career is over.

So essentially we've lost 9 players & 1 recruit in the last month+.

As of right now we have 11 players for next year.... 6 returners and 5 recruits.

We've seen some good stuff out of Maddox, Skinner and Gibson... Hammond is still a ? For me as we didn't see too much from her in her freshmen season.... and we didn't see anything from Nyra or Niya in game this year. And of the 5 recruits.... the only 2 I've really heard anything about are Taya and Sydnei.

So don't be too surprised if we are in for a long season this year...
Certainly next year may be a tough year based on your assessment but one never knows. As long as we can play above .500 I would be satisfied with that. Sounds like we have some good freshman playing next year that we hope develop as the season progresses.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Certainly next year may be a tough year based on your assessment but one never knows. As long as we can play above .500 I would be satisfied with that. Sounds like we have some good freshman playing next year that we hope develop as the season progresses.

Yeah unless we end up getting some last minute grad transfers from another school to give us some more offense or experience.... I'm not feeling great about this upcoming season.

We're losing 7 of our top 8 scorers (the only one still here of our Top 8 is Bria Gibson). I'm confident that Jailyn, Bria & Sandra can step up & be leaders..... but the rest of the team are question marks as they didn't really get a chance to showcase much this past season... especially Niya & Nyra.

And as for the freshmen coming in.... Taya & Sydnei had really good HS careers from what I've heard.. though I believe Sydnei did battle through some injuries at different points.... but I haven't heard much of anything about Hattix-Covington, Reed or Sparks.

In all honesty... for VCU to have a good season this coming year..... not only will the 6 returners have to step up their roles & lead the team.... but we will need as many of the freshmen as we can to come in and provide some sparks (no pun intended).... Essentially we would need another year like 2013-14... where not only were our upper classmen doing work on the court.... but we had this ridiculously good freshmen class in Isis Thorpe, Keira Robinson (2nd & 3rd leading scorers in their freshmen season behind only Robyn Parks), "Jeezy" Finney-Smith, and Camille Calhoun (who was able to play pretty much the whole season)... all of them were freshmen that year.... and that was the year we almost beat #1 Dayton in the A10 Tourney. They also put up a heck of a fight at Ohio State that year.

We are going to need a repeat of that kind of year for VCU to have a good year this year.... and I'll be honest... that's a little too much expectations to be putting on a freshmen class in my opinion.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rutu/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/stats/season_stats.pdf

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/aliyah_jeune_971142.html

Aliyah Jeune Stats from 16-17 season

GP-GS: 30-23
MPG: 25.2
FG%: 33.4%
FGM-FGA: 98-293
3pt FG %: 28.4 %
3 PT FGM-FGA: 44-155
FT%: 62.5 %
FTM-FTA: 5-8
Rebounds (offensive): 97 (27)
PF: 84
Asst: 52
TO: 64
BLK: 8
STL: 47
Pts Per Game: 8.2

Last edited:
Really surprised that the Aliyah Jeune didn't go to UNC W with her sister. Hopefully she can provide some leadership off the bench this season until she is available to play.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Really surprised that the Aliyah Jeune didn't go to UNC W with her sister. Hopefully she can provide some leadership off the bench this season until she is available to play.

Well I know UNCW just got a new coach (the coach who's been at odu the last several years). Maybe she didn't like her, or didnt get an offer from them. Or it may just be that she didn't want to play on the same team as her sister. Isis Thorpe had a step-sister (I think, I'd have to go back and ask.... can't remember the exact connection) who played for Duquesne and graduated either last year (2016) or (2015).

Certainly would be an interesting question to ask her if I ever got the chance. Of course I wouldn't ask it directly.

Which one is her sister by the way?

Last edited:
Well I know UNCW just got a new coach (the coach who's been at odu the last several years). Maybe she didn't like her, or didnt get an offer from them. Or it may just be that she didn't want to play on the same team as her sister. Isis Thorpe had a step-sister (I think, I'd have to go back and ask.... can't remember the exact connection) who played for Duquesne and graduated either last year (2016) or (2015).

Certainly would be an interesting question to ask her if I ever got the chance. Of course I wouldn't ask it directly.

Which one is her sister by the way?

Her Sister's name is Ashlii Jeune.

Curious to see if we gain anymore Transfers

The Freshmen will be moving onto campus in less than a month. Anyone know if the Upper Classmen will be back then too 0r later?

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Her Sister's name is Ashlii Jeune.

Curious to see if we gain anymore Transfers

The Freshmen will be moving onto campus in less than a month. Anyone know if the Upper Classmen will be back then too 0r later?

Did she transfer there cause I didn't see her name on UNC-W's roster?

Not sure, my guess is they will prob be around then, cause I know some of them take Summer classes.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rutu/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/stats/season_stats.pdf

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/aliyah_jeune_971142.html

Aliyah Jeune Stats from 16-17 season

GP-GS: 30-23
MPG: 25.2
FG%: 33.4%
FGM-FGA: 98-293
3pt FG %: 28.4 %
3 PT FGM-FGA: 44-155
FT%: 62.5 %
FTM-FTA: 5-8
Rebounds (offensive): 97 (27)
PF: 84