Recruiting VCU WBB Recruiting Thread

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Sounds like a really good pick up, I wish you could play this year.

Agreed... especially since we will be extremely short on college level experience this year going into the year. Nothing to say that our returning players or incoming freshmen can't step up & succeed right away.... but I'd rather have more experience on the roster to help ease the incoming freshmen in.... and if they happen to step up right away like Isis, Keira, Jeezy & co. did when they were freshmen.... then great... but I wouldn't want the expectations of that they have to step up right away due to all we've lost this year.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
So going back looking on twitter just to see when Mooriah Rowser came to us last year as a Grad transfer.... it was announced in early May by an NYG Hoops report scouting acct.... but VCU didn't announce anything official until the 2nd week of june.

So maybe we'll land another player or two in the next couple weeks.... but it seems eerily quiet on the frontier as it pertains to next season & any possible incoming transfers.

The Camp Twins (6-5 and 6-4) recently decommitted from ODU after their coaching change. Really believe that we would have a good chance with getting them in the black and gold. Big family and they're all really close. I'm sure they would like to play in front of family. The twins played for TPLS Christian Academy in the Chesterfield Area. Also played for BWSL Richmond with Nyra a few years ago

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
The Camp Twins (6-5 and 6-4) recently decommitted from ODU after their coaching change. Really believe that we would have a good chance with getting them in the black and gold. Big family and they're all really close. I'm sure they would like to play in front of family. The twins played for TPLS Christian Academy in the Chesterfield Area. Also played for BWSL Richmond with Nyra a few years ago

Any idea where they had offers to before they committed to odu?

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Figured we could use one of these threads to keep up with all of the incoming recruits and news & such.

@Natty or @MattRock if you could, can you pin this to the Top of this forum for us.

So as of right now.. here's what our roster for next season consists of

Outgoing Players
Isis Thorpe- graduating
Keira Robinson- graduating
Ashlee Mitchell- graduating
Ashley Pegram- graduating
Mooriah Rowser- graduating
G.G. Goodhope- graduating
Curteeona Brelove- transferring to St. John's
Katherine Strong- transferring to Butler
Camille Calhoun- Ending her career after 2 ACL injuries

Returning Players for 2017-18 Season- (what year they will be next year)
Nyra Williams- G (soph)
Jailyn Maddox- G (soph)
Sandra Skinner- F (Jr.)
Danielle Hammond- C (soph.)
Bria Gibson- F (Jr.)
Niya Johnson- G (Soph.)

Incoming players for 2017-18 Season
Taya Robinson
- Huguenot HS (Richmond VA)
Sydnei Archie- St. Catherine's HS (Richmond VA)
Delphynia Sparks- Monsignor Scanlan HS (Bronx, NY)
Akiene Tera-Reed- Life Center Academy (Burlington, NJ)
Madison Hattix-Covington- Ellison HS (Kileen, TX)

2018-19 Players
Aliyah Jeune
- Life Center Academy (Westhampton NJ) (Rutgers Transfer- Will have 2 years left)

2018-19 Offers
Amber Bacon- PG- South Grand Prairie (Grand Prairie, TX): received offer
Lauryn Thompson- F- Mansfield Timberview (Arlington, TX): received offer

Well it's official... Kat Strong is transferring to Butler

So who's left at this point? I also see that one of the assistant coaches left too...

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
So who's left at this point? I also see that one of the assistant coaches left too...

Nyra Williams- G (soph)
Jailyn Maddox- G (soph)
Sandra Skinner- F (Jr.)
Bria Gibson- F (Jr.)
Niya Johnson- G (Soph.)

Taya Robinson

2018-19 Players
Aliyah Jeune
- Life Center Academy (Westhampton NJ) (Rutgers Transfer- Will have 2 years left)

@iLove VCU heres the roster as currently constructed to my knowledge for next year unless we land another grad transfer or something.

Aliyah is transferring & has to sit out one year... but we'll have her for the following year as you see.

As far as lineups go... in terms of returning players here's the breakdown
PG- Nyra Williams.... maybe Jailyn Maddox but I haven't seen her play point a whole lot
SG- Jailyn Maddox
SF- Sandra Skinner
PF- Bria Gibson
C- Danielle Hammond

Niya Johnson based on her size could be a 3 or 4... but she can shoot the ball as well... so she's prob a 3.

As far as incoming recruits.... Taya Robinson is 5-11 feels at home anywhere on the court.... At any given time she could lead her team in scoring, rebounds, asts or steals. So think someone like Draymond Green or Lebron in terms of versatility.....

Sydnei Archie I believe is similar to Taya. Can score, rebound, dish out assists.

@bballfanatic91 might be a little more insightful on them as they've seen them play a few times.

I haven't heard a whole lot about Sparks, Reed or Covington.

Taya will probably play both the 1 and 2. As rowdy stated, her best asset is that she can play wherever she is needed and can be pretty effective.

Sydnei is a hybrid wing. She is strong enough to play in the post and athletic enough to play on the wing

I think both of these girls have college ready bodies and very high basketball IQs. And they are going to need it as I'm pretty sure this season they will get a lot of "On The Job Training"

From what I saw, Tera and Madison both look to be long athletic guards, which will be a huge asset on the defensive end. Delphy will bring that New York Swag to the Siegel Center.

Once the girls become adjusted, I don't think we will have issues on the Offensive end

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Figured we could use one of these threads to keep up with all of the incoming recruits and news & such.

@Natty or @MattRock if you could, can you pin this to the Top of this forum for us.

So as of right now.. here's what our roster for next season consists of

Outgoing Players
Isis Thorpe- graduating
Keira Robinson- graduating
Ashlee Mitchell- graduating
Ashley Pegram- graduating
Mooriah Rowser- graduating
G.G. Goodhope- graduating
Curteeona Brelove- transferring to St. John's
Katherine Strong- transferring to Butler
Camille Calhoun- Ending her career after 2 ACL injuries

Nyra Williams- G (soph)
Jailyn Maddox- G (soph)
Sandra Skinner- F (Jr.)
Bria Gibson- F (Jr.)
Niya Johnson- G (Soph.)

Taya Robinson

2018-19 Players
Aliyah Jeune
Jordan Agustus- St. Mary's HS (Bronx NY) (St John's Transfer- Will have 2 years left)

2018-19 Offers
Amber Bacon- PG- South Grand Prairie (Grand Prairie, TX): received offer
Lauryn Thompson- F- Mansfield Timberview (Arlington, TX): received offer

Updated to include transfer Jordan Agustus.... which means of the 9 departures... we have filled 7 of them... 5 HS recruits, 2 transfers..... which leaves us 2 openings.