Recruiting VCU WBB Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'VCU Womens Basketball' started by RowdyPkunk, Apr 10, 2017.

1. iLove VCU

iLove VCU Walk-On

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  2. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

I said the same thing when I saw that.

3. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

4. iLove VCU

iLove VCU Walk-On

Roster officially updated for our 13 players this season:
    http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2017-18/roster

No seniors on the team, gonna be a long season but hopefully a couple of these ladies have breakout seasons, even if the wins don't come early on.

2017-18 Women's Basketball Roster
    No. Name Pos. Cl. Ht. Hometown/Previous School
    0 Aliyah Jeune G R-So. 6-1 Westampton, N.J. / -
    1 Taya Robinson G Fr. Richmond, Va. / Huguenot
    3 Madison Hattix-Covington G Fr. Killeen, Texas / Ellison
    20 Jailyn Maddox G So. 5-10 Hoover, Ala. / Hoover
    21 Delphynia Sparks G Fr. Bronx, N.Y. / Monsignor Scanlan
    22 Sydnei Archie F Fr. Richmond, Va. / St. Catherine's
    23 Sandra Skinner F Jr. 6-1 Winchester, Ky. / George Rogers Clark
    24 Tera Reed G Fr. New Zealand / Life Center Academy (N.J.)
    30 Danielle Hammond C So. 6-4 Philadelphia, Pa. / Baldwin School
    32 Bria Gibson F Jr. 6-1 Columbia, Md. / Sanderson HS
    34 Nyra Williams G So. 5-5 Hampton, Va. / Bethel
    35 Jordan Agustus G R-So. 6-1 Bronx, N.Y. / Saint Mary's
    42 Niya Johnson G So. 5-8 Brooklyn, N.Y. / Nazareth

RowdyPkunk likes this.
  5. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

Yeah, no seniors and only 2 juniors..... add onto that 2 red shirted players in Agustus & Jeune who will have to sit out this coming year due to the transfer rule.

So yeah, very young team, and not a lot of depth coming into this year. It will certainly be a long season... but hey, anything can happen. I remember a few years ago in Stolling's 2nd season at VCU... when Isis, Keira, Ashlee Mitchell, and Jeezy (before she transferred) were all freshmen.... we came out & had a really good season & almost knocked off #1 Dayton in the tourney at the coliseum.

So, anything is certainly possible... but we will just have to wait and see.

GRID and RAMification like this.
  6. RAMification

RAMification Legend

I would go so far as to say "long" season is optimistic. What has transpired down there is a shame. This is a total rebuild. The only real positive I see is it appears we have a couple of very good transfers. That of course will not help this year. This program needs stability and better recruiting(freshmen) if things are going to improve long-term.

7. RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk Legend

It's not just a matter of recruiting well.... it's keeping the good talent we have here & not making them want to transfer... and not constantly over recruiting them.

Players like Jessica Pellechio, Jeezy Finney-Smith, Curteeona "Meemo" Brelove, Katherine Strong... among others... that should've never had to transfer and could've been difference makers if they had stayed.

You look at MBB, and sure they've had some transfers over the years.... but we've also had years where no one has transferred. WBB seemingly has 1 or 2 people transfer every year.... and usually at least 1 of them is a key player.

8. bballfanatic91

bballfanatic91 Recruit

Before we go writing off the season, I think that we should give these girls a chance. While I may not know about all of the Freshmen, I do know that both Taya and Sydnei are ready as far as basketball skills and IQ are concerned. It may take some time for them to get use to the game speed, but they should definitely be adjusted (or somewhat) before Conference Play begins. Both Tera and Madison have length, which will transfer over well on the defensive end. When it comes to basketball I try to be as unbiased as possible and I truly feel that this team will raise a few eyebrows. Comparing these incoming freshmen to this past season seniors, scoring the basketball should be the same if not better and outside of Memo, the average height of the upcoming team is actually taller than last year's team.

Also lets be mindful, that this season was Coach O'Boyle's first full recruiting class. Who knows what promises were made by the previous Coaching Staff to bring the recruits in. I do know that Katherine Strong was recruited by O'Boyle, but every program has transfers, especially in this day and age. It is just apart of College Basketball

RowdyPkunk likes this.