VCU, Wichita State and Dayton to AAC?

Would you be in favor of a move to the AAC with Dayton & Wichita State?

• Heck yes

Votes: 185 72.5%
  • Heck no

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 41 16.1%

• Total voters

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I don't think we've ever been "kicked out" of a conference. The Metro died, we were not invited to join a conference many of the remaining schools left for. The CAA was our best choice at the time.
Correct. The Metro Conference dissolved because it did not have enough remaining members to meet NCAA requirements. And FYI, the CAA was pretty much VCU's only choice at the time. I don't believe there were any other offers on the table. The A10 invited VA Tech to join, but not VCU.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Insider
Dec 4, 2013
Correct. The Metro Conference dissolved because it did not have enough remaining members to meet NCAA requirements. And FYI, the CAA was pretty much VCU's only choice at the time. I don't believe there were any other offers on the table. The A10 invited VA Tech to join, but not VCU.
I said best choice because I think some lower tier conferences would have been glad to have us, The CAA was the best of those. Ended up the CAA became a pretty good conference for a while, because they picked up some "left out" teams in that round of conference realignment. Most of the strongest teams were from Virginia too. In some ways it was a good time for basketball in the state. Glad we are where we are now though.

Apr 28, 2009
I said best choice because I think some lower tier conferences would have been glad to have us, The CAA was the best of those. Ended up the CAA became a pretty good conference for a while, because they picked up some "left out" teams in that round of conference realignment. Most of the strongest teams were from Virginia too. In some ways it was a good time for basketball in the state. Glad we are where we are now though.
The CAA had become one of the stonger mid major confernces I the country. At the time we were there the CAA was on an upward trajectory.