W3=Wiretap Willie Wade

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I will watch that documentary. Coach Wade is fascinating to me in many ways. My childhood neighbor taught Will Wade at a Christian school in Nashville and she called him wonderful. He is friendly. Some might say it is used car salesman friendly but he certainly enjoys people. I have talked to Coach Wade 4 or 5 times and he is a personable man. I remember during one black & gold game my son was up in the Junior Rowdy Rams line and he came over to say hello. My son asked him to sign his poster and he said, nah the players are who you want. I met Wade at the basketball banquet that Shaka missed and we spoke for about 5 minutes. From that day forward he remembered my first name.

On the flip side he is a fierce competitor that will fight tooth and nail for wins. That competitiveness also shows in his recruiting. He will do what he has to do to get players. He can peel paint off the walls of the locker room and fly into rage on the bench. I have to say that when he bailed I was bummed although in his 2nd year I did not like certain behaviors. That being said, I liked winning so I felt bummed when I heard he was going to LSU. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish VCU was not associated with him but oh well in the past we were associated with another coach that was the same way and his name was Dana Kirk.

Feb 14, 2011
Not by me, and I'm curious. What was it, who paid? Does the school pay or does a booster show up with a bunch of 50s in a paper bag?
All I'm going to say is; back in the day, student athletes had "jobs" outside of the school or sports programs. Now the NCAA has more specific rules on student athletes seeking employment while under scholarship.

May 4, 2012
Not by me, and I'm curious. What was it, who paid? Does the school pay or does a booster show up with a bunch of 50s in a paper bag?
The pricetag presented in FBI evidence was 6 figures. Cant recall if it was 300k ir 600k. The ledger shows the who.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The pricetag presented in FBI evidence was 6 figures. Cant recall if it was 300k ir 600k. The ledger shows the who.
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't payments to Williamson alleged by California lawyer Michael Avenatti? Do you have a link from the FBI investigation that implicates Duke in paying Williamson?

Reactions: PRock
Feb 8, 2019
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't payments to Williamson alleged by California lawyer Michael Avenatti? Do you have a link from the FBI investigation that implicates Duke in paying Williamson?
You are correct! According to Avenatti Duke paid Zion’s mother 35,000 dollars to get him to Duke.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
You are correct! According to Avenatti Duke paid Zion’s mother 35,000 dollars to get him to Duke.
i believe the allegation is that Nike offered Zion’s mom a contract to work with their marketing team. There was never any linkage between that offer and Duke. Some folks familiar with AAU basketball tended towards it being an advance on future marketing rights and attendance to a marquee Nike/Jordan school would be ideal.

Reactions: Dwwhohen

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Who did Williamson sign with ?
He signed with Duke. You said that they payed him. The FBI found no evidence of it. You made it seem like they did. Why make unfounded accusations while defending Wade's actions? Again, do you have a link that they payed him?

Mar 1, 2015
He signed with Duke. You said that they payed him. The FBI found no evidence of it. You made it seem like they did. Why make unfounded accusations while defending Wade's actions? Again, do you have a link that they payed him?
Do you think Duke and K have to do their own leg work? I would say the mountain comes to them. Zion was a Potential superstar, maybe even a generational talent. That is a huge commodity for Nike. They are going to want their cash cows at a high profile school, and wearing Nike. Duke and K don’t have to get their hands dirty or even have to know anything. Wooden had no real involvement with UCLA being funded by Gilbert. And it’s way way bigger and more lucrative know, with global companies rather than individual boosters.

Wade/LSU aren’t big enough. Wade is yapping on phones at the Marriott and making the rounds. A one man band.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Do you think Duke and K have to do their own leg work? I would say the mountain comes to them. Zion was a Potential superstar, maybe even a generational talent. That is a huge commodity for Nike. They are going to want their cash cows at a high profile school, and wearing Nike. Duke and K don’t have to get their hands dirty or even have to know anything. Wooden had no real involvement with UCLA being funded by Gilbert. And it’s way way bigger and more lucrative know, with global companies rather than individual boosters.

Wade/LSU aren’t big enough. Wade is yapping on phones at the Marriott and making the rounds. A one man band.
I am saying that there is not proof like a wiretap. An unfounded claim of paying Williamson is just that.

Mar 1, 2015
Reactions: Nic