Was D Jenkins supposed to be an elite Defender?

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
After listening to the Announcers last night, I wondered if DJ was supposed to be a elite defender when he arrived? I for one thought his offense would exceed his D. It doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Now DJ can get his shot, and he can score at will but rarely has he imposed his offensive will on any game. He seems content to play within the system and take what is given. Not a bad deal for such a talented and athletic guy.

However, as the Announcers for the U of Henrico game pointed out, his D is always there? He is fourth in the league in steals overall. However, he is first in steals to turnover ratio, second in steals to personal fouls ratio, and third in steals per 40 minutes played. Not only that he gets after it on D. He really has stepped up his defensive game.

I think he should be in the conversation for All A10 defense team as well as a spot on one of the All A10 teams.

Last edited:

RAM7889

Top Member
Insider
Apr 20, 2009
After listening to the Announcers last night, I wondered if DJ was supposed to be a elite defender when he arrived? I for one thought his offense would exceed his D. It doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Now DJ can get his shot, and he can score at will but rarely has he imposed his offensive will on any game. He seems content to play within the system and take what is given. Not a bad deal for such a talented and athletic guy.

However, as the Announcers for the U of Henrico game pointed out, his D is always there? He is fourth in the league in steals overall. However, he is first in steals to turnover ratio, second in steals to personal fouls ratio, and third in steals per 40 minutes played. Not only that he gets after it on D. He really has stepped up his defensive game.

I think he should be in the conversation for All A10 defense player as well as a spot on one of the All A10 teams.
I agree, his defense is not flashy, but is highly effective! I think we would all like a team of superstars, but that is not the way it works! We have visible stars and guys that somehow fill the stat sheet! DJ does have his moments when he makes that flashy play on O and D!

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Among his many attributes that he has worked on is his ball handling. As a freshman he was shakey with his possessions and prone to turnovers. Now, is there anyone we would rather see lead the fast break? Silky smooth, deceptively quick, and other than Bones, our best outside shooter. He is one of our primary weapons. And yes, his defense is outstanding.

Last edited:

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I think he was one of those guys that didn't play or have to practice a lot of defense in high school. If someone said his defense is always there they were probably referring to this season. He has come a long way on D since his freshman year.

Reactions: SZQ VCU

irradiated_ram

Insider
Jan 23, 2013
I think he was one of those guys that didn't play or have to practice a lot of defense in high school. If someone said his defense is always there they were probably referring to this season. He has come a long way on D since his freshman year.
His defense freshman year at VCU was definitely indicative of him not having to play much defense in high school; He averaged 22 points during his prep school year, and scored 27 in the championship. He would have been on the floor regardless.

He used to be out of position regularly. I remember wade "not calling him out, but calling him out" at least once in a postgame presser for not sticking to his defensive assignment.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008