Welcome Jimmy Nichols!

Newgate Prison

Top Member
Aug 1, 2012
HA wow, what is the story there? He was just one season before my time.
He was a big Philly kid who acted Tough but played soft. He had stone hands. Very disappointing.

He also had a knack for being around trouble... shooting on Shafer St., club shootings, trespassing in dorms, fights, etc. He thought it was funny when police would call Grant late at night. Grant finally sent him packing for wearing his gold teeth in a game. 🤦‍♂️

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
He was a big Philly kid who acted Tough but played soft. He had stone hands. Very disappointing.

He also had a knack for being around trouble... shooting on Shafer St., club shootings, trespassing in dorms, fights, etc. He thought it was funny when police would call Grant late at night. Grant finally sent him packing for wearing his gold teeth in a game. 🤦‍♂️

thanks for the details, hard to imagine getting the opportunity to play D1 ball and getting wrapped up in junk like that.

Reactions: LQuarles

Newgate Prison

Top Member
Aug 1, 2012
If E had a temper, must have been behind closed doors.....one of the more personable people I’ve ever known and talented on the court. Never saw him “big time” anyone and actually mixed with all sorts of crowds at VCU. Sort of puzzled by the comment before yours about “something going wrong”, he played well and to my knowledge is still an active supporter of the program
Completely agree with you about E. Got to know him too and found him to be personable and low key.

He played well for us so I’m lost on “what went wrong”.

Reactions: PRock

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Eric Davis came from Seton Hall and is the only Vcu player I’ve seen get booed at the STU.
He was 6’8” and I don’t think he ever dunked....

I’ve watched VCU basketball since 2000 and I think he’s the worst basketball player I’ve seen considering the “hype” around him because he was a Big East transfer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009

With stockard, Nichols and now Tsohonis, he is finding "under valued" P5 players with the potential and "willingness" to play important roles within our system.

He's filled our scholarship with talented role playing players who have seen P5 competition experience and performed well.

We have a team that could perform veey well in Atlantis

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Something I found interesting is a recent story about the top 10 transfers(portal) to the ACC. There has been a substantial number but this was about the top 10. Number 6 on that list was Justin McKoy to UNC from UVA. Hubert Davis was ecstatic to secure McKoy who in two healthy years averaged 3.5ppg. He is 6'8" and not near as long as Jimmy. Now McKoy is a nice player, this example is just for reference. In perusing the top 10 our guy would be near the top. I think what some people just don't understand is that Jimmy has 3-years. When you think 6'8", 7'3" in terms of length, very athletic, 3-point range, P5 experience(including starting), and again 3-years of eligibility Mike and Co. nailed it.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Does that plan continue through the weekend? 👀👀
I definitely think so. That said, as we always point out recruiting is a dynamic function and can change on a dime. I remember way back when us having basically a verbal from a 7'0" prospect and literally 30-minutes later he was gone. It is what it is.

LazyStegosaurus

Top Member
Oct 31, 2018
I definitely think so. That said, as we always point out recruiting is a dynamic function and can change on a dime. I remember way back when us having basically a verbal from a 7'0" prospect and literally 30-minutes later he was gone. It is what it is.
Absolutely, nothing is official until they are here on campus....and with the way transfer rules are heading maybe that doesn’t event mean anything anymore... Just wondering how often I need to be checking here and Twitter over the weekend 😂

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Interesting list.... it how in the H E L L Ace Baldwin not ahead of PJ Byrd?!?!
Inconceivable!!
The list doesn’t have the value of hindsight. It also serves as a reminder that stars or ratings are not always accurate. Other now oddities from the list

• Reco > Reddic
  • Mobley > Williams
  • Nwankwo > Ward
  • Djonkham > MSS
  • Maye > Lewis
etc