Welcome Marcus Tsohonis!!!

VCU85

Elite Member
If he was averaging 10.5 in the PAC he should be almost doubling that in the A-10.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
His only draw back is 70% from line. If he is one of our primary penetrators then he needs to hit 75% from the charity stripe.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
If he was averaging 10.5 in the PAC he should be almost doubling that in the A-10.
sad to see Bones would only average 10 pts a game in the PAC - C'Mon Man! but love your enthusiasm!
Marcus averaged 12.5 points per PAC12 games. Bones averaged 20 ppg in the A10. But, Bones likely would have been right around Marcus' stats if he was only playing 23 mins per game like Marcus.

Marcus averaged 12.5 points per PAC12 games. Bones averaged 20 ppg in the A10. But, Bones likely would have been right around Marcus' stats if he was only playing 23 mins per game like Marcus.
nothing against Tsohonis. he just ain't Bones - he wasn't the target of each teams gameplan like Bones was and Bones still scored nearly 20 a game. Tsohonis was the sub that was expected to score and shoot for Washington- I would guess that he had the highest ratio of shots attempted per minute on the floor for the Huskies
go rams

Newboy

Elite Member
nothing against Tsohonis. he just ain't Bones - he wasn't the target of each teams gameplan like Bones was and Bones still scored nearly 20 a game. Tsohonis was the sub that was expected to score and shoot for Washington- I would guess that he had the highest ratio of shots attempted per minute on the floor for the Huskies
go rams
He won't need to be here either. Plenty of other players for the other team to game plan for this year.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Until someone steps up this season we may have to rely on multiple players scoring vs one big scorer. I like that way better anyway but it does require you to share that ball AND have players willing to shoot the ball. But we should have more/better/more seasoned players this year. Down low is Ward, Levi, MBJ, and Nichols with Deloach as a freshman. Perimeter we have Williams, Curry, Banks, Watkins and Tsohonis. We'll have to see how the injury and 2 year layoff has effected McAllister along with how well Kern and Nunn fit in.
On paper we are pretty stacked. But if we want to compete at the top we will need some of our experienced players and/or transfers to step it up offensively/points this year.

Until someone steps up this season we may have to rely on multiple players scoring vs one big scorer. I like that way better anyway but it does require you to share that ball AND have players willing to shoot the ball. But we should have more/better/more seasoned players this year. Down low is Ward, Levi, MBJ, and Nichols with Deloach as a freshman. Perimeter we have Williams, Curry, Banks, Watkins and Tsohonis. We'll have to see how the injury and 2 year layoff has effected McAllister along with how well Kern and Nunn fit in.
On paper we are pretty stacked. But if we want to compete at the top we will need some of our experienced players and/or transfers to step it up offensively/points this year.
It will interesting to see. MRs teams, for whatever reason, have really leaned on one player heavily. The 3 highest usage percentages for a player have all been in the Rhoades era. I think like you eluded to, there is more overall offensive potential with this roster than last year. Baldwin would be a good guard to set it in motion. Will Tsohomis or a the freshman guard be effective in doing that? If they aren’t, the offense could struggle. If are fine without an established PG and the ball moves well, they could be a better offensive team then what we have seen recently.

It will interesting to see. MRs teams, for whatever reason, have really leaned on one player heavily. The 3 highest usage percentages for a player have all been in the Rhoades era. I think like you eluded to, there is more overall offensive potential with this roster than last year. Baldwin would be a good guard to set it in motion. Will Tsohomis or a the freshman guard be effective in doing that? If they aren’t, the offense could struggle. If are fine without an established PG and the ball moves well, they could be a better offensive team then what we have seen recently.

interesting observation -
MR's offenses have relied upon a lot of moving the ball east to west (side to side in my thinking) and until last year rarely north to south (toward the rim) - in his early years most of the north to south movement came from pick n roll success or occurred in last 7 seconds of shot clock
To me I like to see an offense that puts pressure on a defense by using north to south movement to create space around the 3 line and or strong takes to the rim - (yeah I am a Moneyball fan)
to me if your offense has a lot of east-west movement as its base, I think your greatest success occurs if you have 5 guys that can handle the ball and shoot (MR has some combinations this year that could possibly do that., whereas last year the most we had was 4 guys with that set of skills)
my worry for next year (okay initial concern, don't want to be overly dramatic here) is finding the PG that steadies the team, gets them into their offense and is unselfish (pass before shoot) in Ace's absence until he returns at 95-100% (I don't want to see an 80-90% Ace like we saw from Marcus Evans for most of his VCU career after this foot/heel injuries)
Honestly I don't know the skills of Marcus T (besides the obvious he can score as a volume shooter and he has Ram Hall of Fame hair style ) nor any of the incoming newbies to make a thoughtful assessment of their ability to replace Ace at a high level or even a proficient level but like all Ram fans (I am expecting the best in this preseason until I see them in action throughout November and early Dec.)
go rams

Haven’t had an abundance of shooters, which like you said would be great in an east west game. Having bigger bodies help with playing downhill, really have not had that. Offensively VCU has been below average the last 3 years.

It seems like MR has recruited longer, bigger, stronger of late. Maybe we will see a change in style with more of an offensive identity with a downhill game.

Sethjax

Elite Member
Maaaaaan...this dude is a player.
15 @ Oregon
27 v. Colorado
22 v. UCLA
...very capable of putting the ball in the hoop against good competition. When he signed he was a luxury, but now with Ace going down he's going to be one of the players we rely on the most.