Welcome Marcus Tsohonis!!!

rammad90

Elite Member
I'm not sure but I think you're right. His movement has been a lot more fluid during the last few games.
I think it has to do with the style we play. Jump shooters need their legs, and pressing all the time, giving 100% on every defensive possession is both foreign to most guys, and certainly takes something out of hour legs.

I think he is simply getting accustomed to the pace, and our offense.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I think it has to do with the style we play. Jump shooters need their legs, and pressing all the time, giving 100% on every defensive possession is both foreign to most guys, and certainly takes something out of hour legs.

You’re probably right. That also accounts for him improving since Ace came back, since we can play more of our typical game with him at the point. Gives Tso and the others the opportunity to adapt.

rammad90

Elite Member
He is shooting .40 % plus from 3. He is averaging 2 assists, and less than 1 turnover. All he needs to do is get his ft's back isn order.
You’re probably right. That also accounts for him improving since Ace came back, since we can play more of our typical game with him at the point. Gives Tso and the others the opportunity to adapt.
I think so.

There isn’t anything uncommon or special about VCUs offense or the pace they play at. If he wasn’t healthy, that would certainly limit his effectiveness. He is playing well, six man scorer seems like a good role.

Players transfer all the time and many never skip a beat. When VCU changes coaches,
everybody learns the new philosophy. Often the 1st season with a new coach is one of the better years offensively.

VCUs pace is average, and maybe at the lower end of average. Rams are 344th in FG attempts, 182nd in tempo per torvik. From the stats I have seen, VCU looks a lot more efficient early in the shot clock, so a faster paced game would probably be a benefit.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
There isn’t anything uncommon or special about VCUs offense or the pace they play at. If he wasn’t healthy, that would certainly limit his effectiveness. He is playing well, six man scorer seems like a good role.

Players transfer all the time and many never skip a beat. When VCU changes coaches,
everybody learns the new philosophy. Often the 1st season with a new coach is one of the better years offensively.

VCUs pace is average, and maybe at the lower end of average. Rams are 344th in FG attempts, 182nd in tempo per torvik. From the stats I have seen, VCU looks a lot more efficient early in the shot clock, so a faster paced game would probably be a benefit.
I agree with all this but wanted to mention this year's stats need to be taken with a grain of salt due to our horrendous start on offense. Hopefully they'll start to normalize as the year goes on - flirting with 150 in offensive efficiency combined with the current defense should be more than enough to have a very successful season.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Yup, when certain players turn the ball over in the worst ways, and you constantly have to sprint back and forth as a result, it's going to screw up your shooting. Add in how hard we play defensively, and that compounds it.

I agree with all this but wanted to mention this year's stats need to be taken with a grain of salt due to our horrendous start on offense. Hopefully they'll start to normalize as the year goes on - flirting with 150 in offensive efficiency combined with the current defense should be more than enough to have a very successful season.
Playing slower isn’t necessarily a bad thing. UVA was 326 in FGA but was the 5th most efficient (which is way more important) and won a national championship. Given VCUs defense and less than strong offense maybe a slower pace is preferred by Rhoades? IDK. But VCU certainly hasn’t played fast under Rhoades my most measures. Last year’s FGAs was the same as this years, 54. Maybe the pace picks up some.

First 2 games of conference play Rams averaged like 60 FGA, which is a lot. I would point my finger at +7 turnovers and +3 offensive rebounds, which got an extra 7 attempts over the season average. Prior to that we were +3 and -3.

However the pie gets sliced, I don’t see any body in the A10 with much on VCU. I would bet they finish top 3 at least with a shot at an at large.

Last edited: