Welcome Marcus Tsohonis!!!

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I really want to congratulate those who have done such a complete scout on the kid in a day that they're able to conclude that he is "not a good defender." I've only been able to watch some youtube highlight videos, and highlight videos generally tend to emphasize the most useless aspects of the game (dunks and mean-mugging), so kudos to those who have been able to discern the information necessary to make that declaratioon.

I am comforted by two things though. One, MR has produced elite level defenses every year he's been at VCU, including a year in which injuries crippled what we all thought would be an experienced and capable team. My guess is that he's reached a contrary conclusion about Marcus' willingness and ability to play defense; it seems unlikely he'd take a kid who was "not a good defender."

Also, I saw this from someone who apparently saw every one of his games at UW (I've seen none):

I normally don’t think of Tsohonis as a great defender but he had the 2nd best points per possession total on that end of the floor at 0.76 ppp only behind Nate Pryor. It was interesting to see the wide gulf between man and zone for Tsohonis. He finished in the 97th percentile nationally when playing man defense and in the 47th percentile when playing zone defense.​
That gap is seen most clearly because Marcus was (per the stats) one of the best pick and roll defenders in the country. Opponents scored just 8 points in 26 possessions with Marcus guarding the ball handler during the pick and roll. Conversely, Tsohonis finished in the 7th percentile allowing opponents to shoot 54% on spot up opportunities. Ironically that’s the exact opposite trend of what we saw in Tsohonis’ freshman year. His first season Tsohonis was in the 89th percentile against spot up shooters and in the 2nd percentile guarding the pick and roll. I’m inclined to think the truth is somewhere in the middle on both fronts and small sample sizes are at play.​
I encourage you to read that warts-and-all assessment of Marcus' game. I have no idea how complete or accurate it is but I do know whoever wrote it knows Marcus one h3ll of a lot better than I do and it makes me excited. The link is below​
I'm just guessing that MR saw that Marcus is a capable defensive player, and perhaps can become an elite-level defensive player, or he wouldn't be on the roster.​
In any event, our biggest need last year was quality play at PG when Ace was forced to sit or needed a blow, and as a double—digit P5 scorer/combo guard, who lead a P5 conference in 3 point shooting % as a freshman, and is still growing in the game, Marcus immediately slots into that position beautifully.​

Last edited:

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
This is a super impactful get by Rhoades and Staff!!!

Once upon a time, we were in on a 6'10 kid from Crow's neck of the woods Jarren Jarreau....who ended up at?? UofW. He didn't work out...injuries and an eventual transfer to Tulane.

Now, Marcus Tshohonis??? Those videos were enlightening....kid looks like a real swiss army knife....gotta love that floater!!

AND we were able to het a west coast kid to come to RVa?? Pretty random and cool!!!

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
This is a super impactful get by Rhoades and Staff!!!

Once upon a time, we were in on a 6'10 kid from Crow's neck of the woods Jarren Jarreau....who ended up at?? UofW. He didn't work out...injuries and an eventual transfer to Tulane.

Now, Marcus Tshohonis??? Those videos were enlightening....kid looks like a real swiss army knife....gotta love that floater!!

AND we were able to het a west coast kid to come to RVa?? Pretty random and cool!!!
He's got a super-funky shot, but the ball goes in the basket at a high rate, so I will look past the aesthetics. Again, we are talking about a backup PG (and perhaps much more) who was starting games in the P12. Tso led the Huskies in points per 40 (20.8) slightly above his senior McDonald's AA Kentucky transfer Quade Green. As a soph. My guess is MR will find useful ways to deploy him.

Last edited:

vcumcvram

Elite Member
He's got a super-funky shot, but the ball goes in the basket at a high rate, so I will look past the aesthetics. Again, we are talking about a backup PG (and perhaps much more) who was starting games in the P12. Tso led Huskies in points per 40 (20.8) slightly above his senior McDonald's AA Kentucky transfer Quade Green. As a soph. My guess is MR will find useful ways to deploy him.
I remember Ivan Chappell having a funky shot back in the day. Not the same player as Tsohonis, but Chappell definitely had an odd looking stroke.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
From what I've seen, this kid was probably one of the best parts of an otherwise mediocre Washington team last season, but he can really score from anywhere and despite the Huskies' struggles, he played extremely well against Pac-12 competition. He has the potential to be an immediate impact player for us next season, especially now that he no longer has to deal with Bill Walton.

Also, @duncanlamb, could you PLEASE put a freaking space in Marcus Tsohonis' name? That just looks embarrassing. ;)

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I really want to congratulate those who have done such a complete scout on the kid in a day that they're able to conclude that he is "not a good defender." I've only been able to watch some youtube highlight videos, and highlight videos generally tend to emphasize the most useless aspects of the game (dunks and mean-mugging), so kudos to those who have been able to discern the information necessary to make that declaratioon.

I am comforted by two things though. One, MR has produced elite level defenses every year he's been at VCU, including a year in which injuries crippled what we all thought would be an experienced and capable team. My guess is that he's reached a contrary conclusion about Marcus' willingness and ability to play defense; it seems unlikely he'd take a kid who was "not a good defender."

Also, I saw this from someone who apparently saw every one of his games at UW (I've seen none):

I normally don’t think of Tsohonis as a great defender but he had the 2nd best points per possession total on that end of the floor at 0.76 ppp only behind Nate Pryor. It was interesting to see the wide gulf between man and zone for Tsohonis. He finished in the 97th percentile nationally when playing man defense and in the 47th percentile when playing zone defense.​
That gap is seen most clearly because Marcus was (per the stats) one of the best pick and roll defenders in the country. Opponents scored just 8 points in 26 possessions with Marcus guarding the ball handler during the pick and roll. Conversely, Tsohonis finished in the 7th percentile allowing opponents to shoot 54% on spot up opportunities. Ironically that’s the exact opposite trend of what we saw in Tsohonis’ freshman year. His first season Tsohonis was in the 89th percentile against spot up shooters and in the 2nd percentile guarding the pick and roll. I’m inclined to think the truth is somewhere in the middle on both fronts and small sample sizes are at play.​
I encourage you to read that warts-and-all assessment of Marcus' game. I have no idea how complete or accurate it is but I do know whoever wrote it knows Marcus one h3ll of a lot better than I do and it makes me excited. The link is below​
I'm just guessing that MR saw that Marcus is a capable defensive player, and perhaps can become an elite-level defensive player, or he wouldn't be on the roster.​
In any event, our biggest need last year was quality play at PG when Ace was forced to sit or needed a blow, and as a double—digit P5 scorer/combo guard, who lead a P5 conference in 3 point shooting % as a freshman, and is still growing in the game, Marcus immediately slots into that position beautifully.​
We're just fine on defense, what we were lacking in last season was scoring from players not named Bones Hyland. This definitely addresses that issue.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
He's got a super-funky shot, but the ball goes in the basket at a high rate, so I will look past the aesthetics. Again, we are talking about a backup PG (and perhaps much more) who was starting games in the P12. Tso led the Huskies in points per 40 (20.8) slightly above his senior McDonald's AA Kentucky transfer Quade Green. As a soph. My guess is MR will find useful ways to deploy him.
"Tsohonis was Washington's best scorer in transition"

Sethjax

Elite Member
He’s a score-first combo guard. Can handle the ball and backup Ace, and can play with Ace in 2PG sets and create his own shot, can play off the ball and hit spot up shots....and in an even more ideal scenario can come off the bench and spell Ace or Bones and create instant offense with a second unit. Win win win win

VCUBusiness

Elite Member
If Bones returns I’d love to see Ace, Bones, Marcus, Jamir, and Hasan get some run.

the second wave after that group would still be scary.