Welcome to Levi Stockard III

HouseofBurgess20

Top Member
Mar 1, 2013
Pound cake, that’s how I would describe Levi, there’s nothing flashy about him but at the end of the day he’s just plain good. I just finished watching a few of his games that were available for replay on ESPN, and the kids seems pretty good. Is he gonna be a big time scorer? Nope. Is he gonna get a ton of blocks, rebounds, or generally fill up the stat sheet? No. What he’s gonna do is bring a lot of the same physical qualities that MSS brought to the table and do all the little things other players don’t want to do. The most impressive things Levi did on tape aren’t gonna show up as counting stats. The things that impressed me most was on the defensive side of things he keeps his head on a swivel and has a good understanding of passing lanes and when to rotate to help and when not to help. Unfortunately he is a tad undersized so even when he helped some of the taller/longer bigs in the Big 12 could still shoot over him, but that shouldn’t be as big an issue in the A-10. I was also extremely impressed by his pick and roll defense. It’s no secret that Mike wants his bigs to hedge hard in pick and roll situation to cut off the driving lane for the ball handler and Levi showed a really good ability to do that exact thing. For a man his size he can really shuffle his feet and showed that he is smart enough to cut off passing lanes once the ball handler looks up to pass or pick up their dribble. Also he displays really good effort defensively, even on a really bad K-State team, highlighted by a chase down block he had in the Iowa State game. Offensively he’s a little bit limited, but he did a few things that impressed me. I was most impressed by how good of a screener they Levi was in the games I watched. He has a keen understanding of how to use his body to create space for the ball handler and was really adept at forcing switches in pick and roll situations. Lots of the open shots K-State got were off of screens set by Levi. He is also a pretty decent roll man, but the K-State guards never seemed to look to pass it to him when he rolled to the rim and was open. That team had a ton of issues, one being that their top guards were extremely selfish from what I saw, choosing to shoot contested shots instead of passing to an open shot. Lastly I was really impressed by how good a passer that Levi was on tape. Always kept his head up and several times found open shooters on the perimeter with some really nice passes. He reminds me
of BMB in that way. He’s always looking to see where his team mates are on the court and hits them generally on time and on target. So I’m personally pretty excited to have the kid play for us, he’s gonna be a really good glue guy that’s gonna make life easier for his team mates. I expect him to see 20 minutes or so a game depending on the opponent.

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
Pound cake, that’s how I would describe Levi, there’s nothing flashy about him but at the end of the day he’s just plain good. I just finished watching a few of his games that were available for replay on ESPN, and the kids seems pretty good. Is he gonna be a big time scorer? Nope. Is he gonna get a ton of blocks, rebounds, or generally fill up the stat sheet? No. What he’s gonna do is bring a lot of the same physical qualities that MSS brought to the table and do all the little things other players don’t want to do. The most impressive things Levi did on tape aren’t gonna show up as counting stats. The things that impressed me most was on the defensive side of things he keeps his head on a swivel and has a good understanding of passing lanes and when to rotate to help and when not to help. Unfortunately he is a tad undersized so even when he helped some of the taller/longer bigs in the Big 12 could still shoot over him, but that shouldn’t be as big an issue in the A-10. I was also extremely impressed by his pick and roll defense. It’s no secret that Mike wants his bigs to hedge hard in pick and roll situation to cut off the driving lane for the ball handler and Levi showed a really good ability to do that exact thing. For a man his size he can really shuffle his feet and showed that he is smart enough to cut off passing lanes once the ball handler looks up to pass or pick up their dribble. Also he displays really good effort defensively, even on a really bad K-State team, highlighted by a chase down block he had in the Iowa State game. Offensively he’s a little bit limited, but he did a few things that impressed me. I was most impressed by how good of a screener they Levi was in the games I watched. He has a keen understanding of how to use his body to create space for the ball handler and was really adept at forcing switches in pick and roll situations. Lots of the open shots K-State got were off of screens set by Levi. He is also a pretty decent roll man, but the K-State guards never seemed to look to pass it to him when he rolled to the rim and was open. That team had a ton of issues, one being that their top guards were extremely selfish from what I saw, choosing to shoot contested shots instead of passing to an open shot. Lastly I was really impressed by how good a passer that Levi was on tape. Always kept his head up and several times found open shooters on the perimeter with some really nice passes. He reminds me
of BMB in that way. He’s always looking to see where his team mates are on the court and hits them generally on time and on target. So I’m personally pretty excited to have the kid play for us, he’s gonna be a really good glue guy that’s gonna make life easier for his team mates. I expect him to see 20 minutes or so a game depending on the opponent.
Thanks for that research. Sounds like a good fit for that front-court "foundation" role.

Anybody hear how he's doing with his goal of graduating this summer? Is he taking classes at K-State, or VCU?

Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the write up. That is exactly what we need, 20 solid minutes a game. Corey has been hurt his whole career, MBJ is a freshman, Hason still needs to show he has progressed before he can be relied on. We needed someone who can bring some stability and we got him. And from the coaches show he is also going to bring great intangibles which is something the team clearly needs after the dysfunction last season. Best case scenario he provides a Mike Gilmore like mature presence while not needed to play major minutes, if he is only playing 10-15 minutes a game then that probably means Ward has improved greatly, which would be a game changer to the team's ceiling next year.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
Best post on here in a long time, thank you.