Welcome to Levi Stockard III

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
Questions abound:
1)
Why would a P6 grad (assuming he's a GT) want to play his final year at a non-P6 that's rebuilding (i.e. likely won't dance)? And not even be guaranteed minutes/a rotational role? (GTs are supposed to plug gaps and fortify in a "go for the gold" type of season)
2) Why would the staff want to lock up the final scholly during all this uncertainty/tumult and basically be locked out of any future high-quality potential transfer/decommit/reclassify over the next 7 months (of which there will likely be many given the environment?)
3) Given that season itself is in jeopardy, why lock in a marginal contributor w/ the final scholly (he can take online classes even if the season cancels)? Our roster flexibility (assuming no one leaves) is now gone.
4) What does this "somewhat desperate/panicky" signing say about the coaching staff's national recruiting reach/gravitas?
5) What does this signing say about the staff's confidence in a BMB waiver (to play right away)?
6) What does this signing say about Douglas' health, Ward's game, MBJ's minutes/development?
7) Does the staff really think we're contenders next season and do they see Stockard as a key piece (as MSS would have been in their eyes)?
8) What does this signing say about the staff's "new" view on roster construction (now 5 bigs - BMB, MBJ, HW, CD, LS)? a departure from small, versatile, wing-oriented, etc? a departure from full court pressure? a full 180 from previous roster construction? an admission of previous deficiencies?
9) Is the Stockard profile the best this staff could do (for a supposed/former/aspiring Top 50 program)? Are the minutes he plays while MBJ/HW sit worth it?

10) If BMB gets his waiver, now what (5 bigs wanting, and needing/expecting, to play)?
Some good questions are asked but I see it as a depth move on VCU's part and an opportunity for Stockhard. The four freshman look like typical VCU players or better. Not much has changed as we will still be looking for a Wheeler type player next year.

Last edited:

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Questions abound:
1)
Why would a P6 grad (assuming he's a GT) want to play his final year at a non-P6 that's rebuilding (i.e. likely won't dance)? And not even be guaranteed minutes/a rotational role? (GTs are supposed to plug gaps and fortify in a "go for the gold" type of season)
2) Why would the staff want to lock up the final scholly during all this uncertainty/tumult and basically be locked out of any future high-quality potential transfer/decommit/reclassify over the next 7 months (of which there will likely be many given the environment?)
3) Given that season itself is in jeopardy, why lock in a marginal contributor w/ the final scholly (he can take online classes even if the season cancels)? Our roster flexibility (assuming no one leaves) is now gone.
4) What does this "somewhat desperate/panicky" signing say about the coaching staff's national recruiting reach/gravitas?
5) What does this signing say about the staff's confidence in a BMB waiver (to play right away)?
6) What does this signing say about Douglas' health, Ward's game, MBJ's minutes/development?
7) Does the staff really think we're contenders next season and do they see Stockard as a key piece (as MSS would have been in their eyes)?
8) What does this signing say about the staff's "new" view on roster construction (now 5 bigs - BMB, MBJ, HW, CD, LS)? a departure from small, versatile, wing-oriented, etc? a departure from full court pressure? a full 180 from previous roster construction? an admission of previous deficiencies?
9) Is the Stockard profile the best this staff could do (for a supposed/former/aspiring Top 50 program)? Are the minutes he plays while MBJ/HW sit worth it?

10) If BMB gets his waiver, now what (5 bigs wanting, and needing/expecting, to play)?
2 things...glad you weren't around when Skeen decided to transfer here...and more importantly...
1589715090368.png

May 1, 2009
2 things...glad you weren't around when Skeen decided to transfer here...and more importantly...
View attachment 8489
The dude is not a VCU fan. He seems to like to play himself off as a sports analyst but even then he is not very good at it. No team can be as bad as he portrays....aka analyzes and achieve everything we have achieved. Even a decent analyst can find both negative as well as positive items for any team on the planet. All this guy sees is the negative.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
The dude is not a VCU fan. He seems to like to play himself off as a sports analyst but even then he is not very good at it. No team can be as bad as he portrays....aka analyzes and achieve everything we have achieved. Even a decent analyst can find both negative as well as positive items for any team on the planet. All this guy sees is the negative.
Not many on this forum have actually ventured to directly butcher me here. All I do is try my best to support my team, it's coaches, our players and their family, and my fellow fans. And offer a might bit of comedy along the way keeping the atmosphere light and easy- welcoming. I don't feel I ever deserve the harsh end of anyone's forum shtick.

Apr 20, 2009
The goal of this last scholarship was to replace MSS with a big body who can rebound and is immediately eligible. I think we accomplished that pending his graduation. We got killed on the boards last year. We simply cannot play 4 wings/guards and 1 big guy and be competitive on the glass. To me Vince is a wing not a PF. Maybe Brown-Jones and Watkins can help up front. Both need to get bigger. When looking at our schedule, playing LSU and 3 quality opponents in the Charleston Tourney in November is not ideal for breaking in freshmen slowly. Corey, Levi & Hason will all have to play 20-25 min a game. That leaves roughly 10-15 min total for the 2 freshmen. Now of course we may go small from time to time depending on matchups but ideally we need 2 big bodies on the floor almost all the time. I am going on the assumption that BMB will have to sit out. Obviously everything changes if he is eligible. I think our shooting will be improved next season. And we have to get better on the glass. We just can't throw the big freshmen to the wolves in November. I think Ace & Josh will be able to contribute right away. We have lots of options for the 3 guard/wing spots.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@wavevcu Watkins is more of a wing than Williams is IMO. Quicker, more athletic, better handles, etc. I consider them both to be wings.

Like others have said, I think MBJ will be the most ready to play out the gate. He's a stud and has played with and against studs. Then Ace and Jamir are close seconds, but all are capable of being early starters. Banks will see a lot of PT as well because he plays good defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanlamb
Jan 16, 2020
One thing we've all learned from this is how much smarter college basketball players are now compared to previous decades ... some of us recall when we worried about athletes just staying eligible ... now they rack up 120 credit hours - plus a sheepskin - in three years, like it's a piece of cake.

Last edited:
May 1, 2009
One thing we've all learned from this is how much smarter college basketball players are now compared to previous decades ... some of us recall when we worried about athletes just staying eligible ... now they rack up 120 credit hours - plus a sheepskin - in three years, like it's a piece of cake.
You see the same with non-athletes. We had students routinely complete their degree in 3 years at the school I used to work at. I even know several who got double BS degrees in 3 years. We had students receiving 28-30 credits in a single semester. :shock::o:cry:
My personal opinion is that college isn't what it used to be.

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
You see the same with non-athletes. We had students routinely complete their degree in 3 years at the school I used to work at. I even know several who got double BS degrees in 3 years. We had students receiving 28-30 credits in a single semester. :shock::o:cry:
My personal opinion is that college isn't what it used to be.
The difference in athletes today is in the support they receive. They are assisted in every way by the academic support system that almost every university now has. VCU’s system has been lead by Sofia Hiort-Wright for over 15 years and it is one of the best in country. I know this because many former coaches have tried to lure Sofia away from VCU. When I started down this road in the early 2000’s athletes got into trouble routinely. That seldom happens now and we owe a great deal to Sofia and her staff for working with all our coaches from Grant through Coach Rhoades.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
The difference in athletes today is in the support they receive. They are assisted in every way by the academic support system that almost every university now has. VCU’s system has been lead by Sofia Hiort-Wright for over 15 years and it is one of the best in country. I know this because many former coaches have tried to lure Sofia away from VCU. When I started down this road in the early 2000’s athletes got into trouble routinely. That seldom happens now and we owe a great deal to Sofia and her staff for working with all our coaches from Grant through Coach Rhoades.
Nearly all our Havoc feral colony cats are named after players. Except one. Sofia.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Reactions: Ramlove81

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Sofia is absolutely a secret weapon for VCU. What a career she has had