Players Welcome to VCU, Jamir Watkins!!!!!

Mar 1, 2015
Two post players is antiquated, unless you have two special post players, which is rare and never our situation. The two guys starting in the front court are lousy rebounders. Versatile guys like Watkins is what the game is about now.

Reactions: Newboy

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Yes, at this point I am not sure what Douglas and Stockard bring to the table that make them better options than Watkins.
They bring minutes for Ward when we need him late. Corey gives us experience and a defensive presence and Levi experience, so low post game, but more so gets us 4-5 minutes into the game without Ward getting an early foul and also keeps Ward's minutes from accumulating too early. It's a good plan and I see Ward getting in a bit earlier as things evolve. Watkins ( who this thread is about) is going to be an awesome wing and we already know Vince can play the PF as needed. Watkins is going to be a special player.

Mar 2, 2014
They bring minutes for Ward when we need him late. Corey gives us experience and a defensive presence and Levi experience, so low post game, but more so gets us 4-5 minutes into the game without Ward getting an early foul and also keeps Ward's minutes from accumulating too early. It's a good plan and I see Ward getting in a bit earlier as things evolve. Watkins ( who this thread is about) is going to be an awesome wing and we already know Vince can play the PF as needed. Watkins is going to be a special player.
I do not agree with starting both Douglas and Stockard. Maybe one or the other but not both.

Reactions: TampaKAP

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I would personally prefer Ward starting over Stockard.
I actually agree with not starting Ward right now, although I do want him to get the most minutes at the 5. I'd start Jamir on the wing and put Vince at the four, keeping the rest of the lineup the same. It's possible Ward forces the issue over the next several games, though.

Mar 2, 2014
I actually agree with not starting Ward right now, although I do want him to get the most minutes at the 5. I'd start Jamir on the wing and put Vince at the four, keeping the rest of the lineup the same. It's possible Ward forces the issue over the next several games, though.
Start the best 5 and worry about the other stuff later. Best 5 were in at the end of the game today.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Well, based on the last 2-3 games, no one. My point on three threads, and I will happily make it 4 or 5 threads, is that he needs to play much better defense. Earlier in the year, Curry was playing better defense than Watkins, for example. I love Watkins, but too many posters on here look at only one side of the floor. I know that you know better @AlienAiden but far too many overlook the defensive deficiencies. Watkins has a chance to be really special, possibly an all-time great, but like most freshmen he is much better at one end of the court.
I for one look at both side and thought your statement may not be to far off but the stats don’t support it. Stats say Jamir is better on both ends.

Defense rtg

Watkins 92.1
Curry 93.1

Offense rtg

Watkins 110.1
Curry 104.2

So the numbers say for every 100 possessions Jamir scores more points and gives up few points. Watkins also is avg more reb and steals

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I for one look at both side and thought your statement may not be to far off but the stats don’t support it. Stats say Jamir is better on both ends.

Defense rtg

Watkins 92.1
Curry 93.1

Offense rtg

Watkins 110.1
Curry 104.2

So the numbers say for every 100 possessions Jamir scores more points and gives up few points. Watkins also is avg more reb and steals
I also qualified it by saying “earlier in the season”. Curry hasn’t looked the same to me defensively since he came back from injury. Watkins struggles to contain his man on the dribble. Then again, lots of our guys are struggling with it.

I want to be clear here for anyone who may misunderstand: I love Watkins. He has the potential to be an all-timer at VCU. His offensive skills appear limitless. I also like that he doesn’t settle for jumpers. Too often in today’s game at both the college and pro levels, players settle for 25 foot jumpers, particularly at the end of games when the score difference is two points or less. I can’t stand that at all. So, I was ecstatic to see Watkins, in his 4th college game, drive the rim and tie the game against Penn State rather than heaving up a contested 3. That we lost the game doesn’t take away from the fact that Watkins showed a maturity in his game far beyond many players with more experience. Like most freshmen, he needs to improve on the defensive end and that will come with time and experience.

Reactions: enonram

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Yes, at this point I am not sure what Douglas and Stockard bring to the table that make them better options than Watkins.
Well, aside from size and strength, Corey is a much better defender and rim protector. The way he hedges and retreats to his man, while being able to rim protect us really good. His communication, vital on defense, is excellent.

Stockard brings bulk and strength, and a surprisingly good midrange game. We need Stockard against the bigger bodies in the league.

Reactions: enonram