Players Welcome to VCU, Jamir Watkins!!!!!

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
DB said, “Troy has the NBA career and is one of the best shooters to ever come through here, but Shuler was/is the man!”

I can remember Shu hunched over the scorer’s table after a gut wrenching loss. I love guys who hate to lose. One of Jeff Capel’s many endearing statements was after a close loss at Georgia Tech, “We didn’t come here for any moral victory.”
That was the ODU game in 2008.
ODU fans will go to their grave knowing that Maynor got fouled that night.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I love SHUUUUUUUU!
I'll never forget that one Thursday night in March of 2007. My dad invited a bunch of our VCU friends over for the VCU-Duke game. Before the game, one of his friends called that Shuler would be the X-factor that night.

How about coming off the bench and going 4-5 from behind the arc and finishing with 14 points?

My favorite Shu moment is his 30-spot vs Maryland in Dec 2007. I'll never forget his pullup 3 in the first half.

He was a tough kid who worked on his game and became a First Team All CAA player his senior season.
a.k.a. “Maynor’s Buddy”- Gary Williams

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
a.k.a. “Maynor’s Buddy”- Gary Williams
I remember taking the elevator from the Verizon Center to the Metro station immediately after the game and being the only black and gold clad fan in a sea of red. One fellow congratulated me and I simply said, “We have great guards.” Nobody said a word as they all nodded their heads.

Reactions: districtballer

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
DB said, “Troy has the NBA career and is one of the best shooters to ever come through here, but Shuler was/is the man!”

I can remember Shu hunched over the scorer’s table after a gut wrenching loss. I love guys who hate to lose. One of Jeff Capel’s many endearing statements was after a close loss at Georgia Tech, “We didn’t come here for any moral victory.”
It's funny, if Capel hadn't left, I'm pretty sure we would have lost Shu to transfer.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I remember taking the elevator from the Verizon Center to the Metro station immediately after the game and being the only black and gold clad fan in a sea of red. One fellow congratulated me and I simply said, “We have great guards.” Nobody said a word as they all nodded their heads.
Maynor/Shuler was as good or better than most P5 backcourts in the country that year. They were a joy to watch together.

We had such a young team overall that year, but those guys led us to win the CAA regular season by 3 games and while we ended up in the NIT and flamed out against UAB, that’s still probably my favorite VCU backcourt duo since I’ve started watching in ‘05.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
Maynor/Shuler was as good or better than most P5 backcourts in the country that year. They were a joy to watch together.

We had such a young team overall that year, but those guys led us to win the CAA regular season by 3 games and while we ended up in the NIT and flamed out against UAB, that’s still probably my favorite VCU backcourt duo since I’ve started watching in ‘05.
For sure, but it's a shame you never got to see Duncan/Lamb..... not talking about our esteemed poster either.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

JeQuan and Melvin were fun....not saying better, but in the discussion. Heck, Eric and BA were nothing the sneeze at either.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Oh yeah. Shuler was so badass on defense I nicknamed him "The Electric Blanket!! @Shufan got great enjoyment from that! He was fun to watch!

-------------------
GO RAMS!
Beat Patriots!!

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Yep. I love hearing about those guys. Thanks to MistaChill I’ve watched some of the bigger games from that era. Those cats could ball for sure! Rolando Lamb was Eric Maynor before Eric Maynor.

JD Barnett got more out of his players than any other VCU coach, hands down. For VCU to be ranked as high as they were in 1984-85 was absolutely amazing. And that team was as fundamentally sound as any VCU team, if not better. Still not sure what happened between the first game and the second game in the NCAA's in Albuquerque that year when VCU was a 5 seed. Lamb and Duncan shaved their heads and the rest is history. A complete head scratcher for sure.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
JD Barnett got more out of his players than any other VCU coach, hands down. For VCU to be ranked as high as they were in 1984-85 was absolutely amazing. And that team was as fundamentally sound as any VCU team, if not better. Still not sure what happened between the first game and the second game in the NCAA's in Albuquerque that year when VCU was a 5 seed. Lamb and Duncan shaved their heads and the rest is history. A complete head scratcher for sure.
2 seed

VCUBusiness

Top Member
Feb 17, 2015
I hope that Bones is OK but this felt like the Evans injury in the Rhody game. Late in the season knife in the heart.
Definitely. Even though he came back after that stint in the first half, it was still evident he wasn’t 100%. I admire the fight to be there for the team and play through it. We know he can overcome adversity. Just sucks.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM