Recruiting Welcome to VCU, Josh Banks!

Ramlove81

Elite Member
While MR says his players have a green light to shoot, I think some players are having a difficult time figuring out what MR actually means when he says he wants his players to make sure they pass the ball around to get the "good shot". So they don't take the shot in favor of passing it to someone else hoping the other person has the good shot.
I know Banks can shoot.....he has shown he can shoot.....his HS basketball record shows he has the ability to shoot the ball. I have been high on him since he got here and want him to succeed. But I am getting frustrated by his seemingly lack of desire to shoot and just pass the ball to others. I understand that with his limited playing time he doesn't want to take the "bad" shot and get pulled from the game. But I just really want to see him succeed on the offensive end. I think he has put in a ton of time on the defensive side and is pretty good at locking down his opponent. Now I just want to see him start shooting and hitting a few buckets.
He chose to stay for another year and with Curry gone he has an open opportunity to play and get more time. But that also means he needs to score on the offensive end. I know he can do it but I want to see him do it this year.
Yeah, it seems to me too many times Josh turned down and open three and three or four passes later we ended up with a contested shot or a turnover. Sometimes the extra pass is not the best play. Not saying he should take contested threes early in the clock, but when he's open he is a good offensive weapon. Shoot it young man!

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Yeah, it seems to me too many times Josh turned down and open three and three or four passes later we ended up with a contested shot or a turnover. Sometimes the extra pass is not the best play. Not saying he should take contested threes early in the clock, but when he's open he is a good offensive weapon. Shoot it young man!
All those open 3s that Ward passed up at the top of the key, even the looks early in the shot clock, I want Fermin and Johns taking all of them.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Coaches that are committed to motion style offenses will often say that passing up a good shot is almost as bad as a turnover. Last year at times, it was often the precursor to a turnover—so doubly bad.

Offense actually flowed fairly well most of conference play, so issues were rarely strategy or design. Guys not taking open looks and giving the ball away were way more pressing concerns than the coaches.

rammad90

Elite Member
While MR says his players have a green light to shoot, I think some players are having a difficult time figuring out what MR actually means when he says he wants his players to make sure they pass the ball around to get the "good shot". So they don't take the shot in favor of passing it to someone else hoping the other person has the good shot.
I know Banks can shoot.....he has shown he can shoot.....his HS basketball record shows he has the ability to shoot the ball. I have been high on him since he got here and want him to succeed. But I am getting frustrated by his seemingly lack of desire to shoot and just pass the ball to others. I understand that with his limited playing time he doesn't want to take the "bad" shot and get pulled from the game. But I just really want to see him succeed on the offensive end. I think he has put in a ton of time on the defensive side and is pretty good at locking down his opponent. Now I just want to see him start shooting and hitting a few buckets.
He chose to stay for another year and with Curry gone he has an open opportunity to play and get more time. But that also means he needs to score on the offensive end. I know he can do it but I want to see him do it this year.
Basketball is a game of confidence. Confidence is usually instilled by the Coaching staff. If say Ace misses 5 straight shots what will happen? Answer nothing he will be on the floor for the 6th and 7th.

Banks on the other hand misses a couple and its back to the end of the bench. I am not stating this is the root of the matter. However, I am stating that it may be more than Josh have an unwillingness to shoot the ball.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Basketball is a game of confidence. Confidence is usually instilled by the Coaching staff. If say Ace misses 5 straight shots what will happen? Answer nothing he will be on the floor for the 6th and 7th.

Banks on the other hand misses a couple and its back to the end of the bench. I am not stating this is the root of the matter. However, I am stating that it may be more than Josh have an unwillingness to shoot the ball.
This is the case with literally every sport that I can think of. For instance, my son is playing his senior year of high school soccer. Unfortunately, just before tryouts he got mono, and then three weeks later he cracked a bone in his elbow. He missed four games, and even now (a month later) the coach says he's not ready to play big minutes because his speed and strength haven't come back. It's B.S. but it's his reasoning for my son (who has played travel soccer since he was seven and has always been a starter) sitting on the bench for most of the game when a couple of mediocre sophomores take his position. When he DOES get in, he's so desperate to prove himself that he sometimes overruns the play. And then, it's back to the bench because he's "not ready".

Mistachill

Elite Member
Ok. As far as i know we are neither bosses nor mothers of the other, so i can live with that.
Yes, we will have to live with it because what you stated is just not accurate. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

rammad90

Elite Member
This is the case with literally every sport that I can think of. For instance, my son is playing his senior year of high school soccer. Unfortunately, just before tryouts he got mono, and then three weeks later he cracked a bone in his elbow. He missed four games, and even now (a month later) the coach says he's not ready to play big minutes because his speed and strength haven't come back. It's B.S. but it's his reasoning for my son (who has played travel soccer since he was seven and has always been a starter) sitting on the bench for most of the game when a couple of mediocre sophomores take his position. When he DOES get in, he's so desperate to prove himself that he sometimes overruns the play. And then, it's back to the bench because he's "not ready".
It happens. My point and I think you support it, is that sometimes its not just the kid, its the system/coaches as well.

Last edited:

Mistachill

Elite Member
Wow, I hope it works out for him. I remember getting mono in college and it took a long time for me to get over it. I'm impressed he was able to even get back out there so quickly.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Wow, I hope it works out for him. I remember getting mono in college and it took a long time for me to get over it. I'm impressed he was able to even get back out there so quickly.
Thanks. The good news is that early in the season the games were widely spaced apart, and one game was rescheduled due to rain. He was out six weeks for the mono. The elbow happened during that recovery, and pushed the window out one more week. He is really having no side-effects and hasn't had symptoms for about eight weeks. It's not been a good year for him, though. He got COVID on January 2, caught a nasty cold three weeks later, then two weeks after that was diagnosed with mono, then a month later cracked his elbow. The boy needs to be in a bubble. With that said, though, there's some evidence that outbreaks of mono are actually related to having had COVID, so those two could be connected.

But anyhow ... he's on the bench because the coach says (BS) that he's not ready a month later. The kid is back in shape, and he's not going to get into better shape on the bench.

rammad90

Elite Member
Thanks. The good news is that early in the season the games were widely spaced apart, and one game was rescheduled due to rain. He was out six weeks for the mono. The elbow happened during that recovery, and pushed the window out one more week. He is really having no side-effects and hasn't had symptoms for about eight weeks. It's not been a good year for him, though. He got COVID on January 2, caught a nasty cold three weeks later, then two weeks after that was diagnosed with mono, then a month later cracked his elbow. The boy needs to be in a bubble. With that said, though, there's some evidence that outbreaks of mono are actually related to having had COVID, so those two could be connected.

But anyhow ... he's on the bench because the coach says (BS) that he's not ready a month later. The kid is back in shape, and he's not going to get into better shape on the bench.
Its tough but this will make him stronger with the right attitude. This isnt the end, just the beginning of what could be a promising future for him. Tell him in life you will run into people who want to derail your dream, dont let them. Work hard in practice, work hard on his own, get better and continue to play the game he loves whenever and where ever he can.

There was once a VCU player who started and averaged double figurers for us, who had been cut from his high school basketball team half way through the Sr. season. A Sr. season where his team won the state championship. This guy bounced around Richmond for a few years before he was offered a scholarship due to Summer League play. Funny thing is this guy played at a higher level (VCU) than all but one (OdU) of his former HS teammates and did better than any of them.

If your son keeps his feet moving, and by all accounts he will, he will be fine and that a$$ of a HC wont be able to stop him.

Last edited:

SteveMM

Elite Member
If your son keeps his feet moving, and by all accounts he will, he will be fine and that a$$ of a HC wont be able to stop him.
The ironic thing is that he might have been better off if he'd been scratched for the season due to the elbow. During the time when he sat out for mono and the busted elbow, he really enjoyed helping out the coaches and being an "assistant to the assistant coach" on the JV team. He literally did everything you would hope that an injured senior would do. Truly, while it would have been emotionally painful to lose his senior year, in hindsight I'd rather he was helping the younger kids than sitting on the end of the varsity bench for most of the game.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
He's working with Brandon "the microwave" Rozzell on his mental approach to the game.

He will be fine.