Recruiting Welcome to VCU, Josh Banks!

rammad90

Elite Member
The ironic thing is that he might have been better off if he'd been scratched for the season due to the elbow. During the time when he sat out for mono and the busted elbow, he really enjoyed helping out the coaches and being an "assistant to the assistant coach" on the JV team. He literally did everything you would hope that an injured senior would do. Truly, while it would have been emotionally painful to lose his senior year, in hindsight I'd rather he was helping the younger kids than sitting on the end of the varsity bench for most of the game.
Brother already a silver lining. You see I knew you young guy would turn lemons into lemonade. Good for him.

So much evaluation of roster here, top to bottom ... In a descending pecking order, I'd say Luwal is 13th man, Shriver 12th, McAllister 11th, Banks 10th ... to be fair, that's not as bad as it looks for the third string ... virtually all VCU players are destined to play pro ball on some level. Those four previously mentioned would likely be prime-timers at many other schools.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
So much evaluation of roster here, top to bottom ... In a descending pecking order, I'd say Luwal is 13th man, Shriver 12th, McAllister 11th, Banks 10th ... to be fair, that's not as bad as it looks for the third string ... virtually all VCU players are destined to play pro ball on some level. Those four previously mentioned would likely be prime-timers at many other schools.
barring several people all of a sudden shooting 39% or better from three, its hard for me see see Shriver as 12th. 🤷‍♂️

barring several people all of a sudden shooting 39% or better from three, its hard for me see see Shriver as 12th. 🤷‍♂️

Okay; so who do you think will be No. 12? - based on minutes played through first 10 games? But my point is really that for every player that lives up to his lofty "Ramnation expectations," there is another who is being demoted to a lesser role. At most schools, fans debate this issue through about the first eight players .... but at VCU its 1-to-13. Most fan-friendly game of year is Black-Gold scrimmage, because then everyone gets plenty of playing time (400 minutes to divide up).

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Okay; so who do you think will be No. 12? - based on minutes played through first 10 games? But my point is really that for every player that lives up to his lofty "Ramnation expectations," there is another who is being demoted to a lesser role. At most schools, fans debate this issue through about the first eight players .... but at VCU its 1-to-13. Most fan-friendly game of year is Black-Gold scrimmage, because then everyone gets plenty of playing time (400 minutes to divide up).
Let’s no injuries and no one improves their 3pt shooting over the summer and Fats is as good as expected by the coaching staff. If those things are true then , Banks, JMac and Kern are all to play less minutes, especially through 10 games. Now all two of those three have have a pretty direct path to more minutes in my opinion. Banks need to play and shoot with confidence, Kern needs to improve his outside shot. For JMac, i thinks its a little harder and honestly the one I think is #12. He hasn’t played in two years and i feel like Jackson, Kern and Fats are all ahead of him.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
@TampaKAP if JMac does absolutely nothing else, he can still bully ball people to death, single handedly get to the rim, draw fouls, and rebound. We have one, maybe two other guards who can do that, and he's clearly our strongest guard. If others are scared to drive, he will. He'll get good minutes.

Mistachill

Elite Member
@TampaKAP if JMac does absolutely nothing else, he can still bully ball people to death, single handedly get to the rim, draw fouls, and rebound. We have one, maybe two other guards who can do that, and he's clearly our strongest guard. If others are scared to drive, he will. He'll get good minutes.
You don't expect him to be affected by the numerous major injuries he's had?

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Maybe but its just hard for me to imagine a player that hasn’t played in 2 years just moving ahead of others on the team right out the gate

We may be able to agree that Arnold Henderson is the 14th man, even though he is the longest tenured Ram .... speaking of Henderson, another St. Chris guard, Keishawn Pulley, is headed to NCAA Division III champion Randolph-Macon ... Pulley was Prep League Co-Player of Year along with 6-9 junior Carter Lang of St. Anne's-Belfield ... Lang is listed as a four-star recruit (247Sports) and is a target of Virginia Tech, ODU, Ole Miss, etc. Doubt VCU is interested.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Let’s no injuries and no one improves their 3pt shooting over the summer and Fats is as good as expected by the coaching staff. If those things are true then , Banks, JMac and Kern are all to play less minutes, especially through 10 games. Now all two of those three have have a pretty direct path to more minutes in my opinion. Banks need to play and shoot with confidence, Kern needs to improve his outside shot. For JMac, i thinks its a little harder and honestly the one I think is #12. He hasn’t played in two years and i feel like Jackson, Kern and Fats are all ahead of him.

Fats is good talentwise but special k expresed concerns over his apparent lack of willingness to impose his will on games.

In the tradition of phil stinnie, tyron mccoy, nick george, bradford burgess, treveon graham and vince williams, we need one of our 3's to be willing to be agressive with the basketball with the game on the line.