Welcome to VCU, Tarique Foster!

I think this season and next will tell us more. Rhoades has his players, highly rated players at that, if we get through without catastrophic injuries, these should be the best years yet under Rhoades. What that will mean in wins/losses and as I am hoping a deep run in the NCAAs is yet to be seen.
The fact is we are deep into Rhoade’s tenure now. The first years things were allowed to slide and we’ve still been giving BOTD most years. At some point the performance has to be there.

2012Ram

Elite Member
giphy.gif
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS
dII25Z7.png

Hops

Elite Member
Insider
DJ was a heck of a player for us, if we get similar production from Foster he'll be a home run.
Wasn't Deriante a top 100 kid out of Hargrave Military Academy? Tarique has some work to do to match Deriante.

ramluvr99

Insider
people forget ace, Nunn, deloach, etc were no where near top 100. This is not a strong indicator of success. sure there is a correlation, but treveon graham was barely top 400 in the country coming out of high school. point being the coaching staff gets the best players they can coming out of high school regardless of ranking.

ramluvr99

Insider
people forget ace, Nunn, deloach, etc were no where near top 100. This is not a strong indicator of success. sure there is a correlation, but treveon graham was barely top 400 in the country coming out of high school. point being the coaching staff gets the best players they can coming out of high school regardless of ranking.
Vince Williams was barely top 300, briante unranked, mayor 379, Bradford 348, jequan 249, I mean Sean mobley was ranked above all these guys and look how he turned out.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I’m very mixed when I hear this comment. No doubt we have a coach that is very passionate about VCU but at the same time it’s not as though this staff has taken VCU to new heights. Sure we should have had another ncaa bid that got wiped by covid but can we truthfully say over these 6 years the program has been elevated significantly or that much? Sure we had a player drafted first round but that’s already happened. I mean I guess there’s the regular season title we got for the first time years back. Don’t get me wrong I like Rhoades but jury seems to be still out as far as how high he can take us.
What part of @ramluvr99 ’s comment stated that the current staff has taken us (or not taken us) to new heights? All that was said was that the staff has proven that they know what they are doing.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
The most important thing is what ultimately happens on the court. If we reach our on-court goals nobody will care how any of these guys were rated entering the program. That is what MR is going to have to answer to at the end of the day.
Agreed and that’s why Shaka’s teams (especially 12-13 thru 14-15 when the full roster was recruited by Shaka and his staff) having a ton of success meant so much. We had non-ranked players such as Darius, Troy, Tre, Bri, JQ, etc that were huge players. And we also had highly ranked players like Melvin, Larrier, and even Reddic (just outside the Top 150) that were good players.

Whether the roster has top 100 guys each season or not, who really gives a poop if we aren’t making the NCAAs and players are staying at VCU?

What part of @ramluvr99 ’s comment stated that the current staff has taken us (or not taken us) to new heights? All that was said was that the staff has proven that they know what they are doing.
It’s debatable as far as this idea that the staff has fully proven themselves. Would people still be saying that if next year we had another NIT year? I doubt it. People would be calling for changes. I like Rhoades but he’s by no means in say Shaka security job wise. Atleast with the fans. If Shaka had some bad years post final F4 people would just be disappointed but no one would be suggesting him gone because they knew the vision and saw it’s potential. We’ve seen glimpses with Rhoades but no NCAA wins (I know he got robbed of one opportunity due to Covid.), some NCAA years, and just eh A10 tourney results. So as far as questioning moves by the coaching staff it’s quite as they haven’t earned a full BOTD yet. If the team performs the next few years and gets to the NCAA and atleast gets a win then I guess he gets the benefit but the fact the school pays him very well to do more than simply make the NCAA. He wasn’t paid to simply maintain status quo or around that which is arguable if that’s been done. Hard to argue a coaching staff has fully proven they know what they are doing when they could possibly be on the hot seat.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
With the transfer portal so active and widely used now, maybe start picking talented kids (albeit less stars) that really fit the system, want to be here and we have a good feeling about in terms of not feeling jaded if they don't start or get enough PT in the first 2 years? There is no guarantee on anything, but the landscape of recruiting has changed in the past few years. I think schools that put together teams that dont have half the kids cycling out in 1-2 years is a solid strategy -especially at our MM level.
I‘d go the exact opposite way. The transfer portal provides an opportunity. As Littlefinger would say, chaos is a ladder. We should continue shooting for the stars. If we miss, then we become a transfer portal destination. There’s going to be more and more good talent available with a year or two of college experience to use in the evaluation process. IMO, it would be an awful idea to give up on the clearly more talented players and settle on recruits where the competition is weaker. The landscape has certainly changed, but we need to find a course through it that continues to be very aggressive.