Welcome to VCU, Tarique Foster!

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Aren't we taking a chance on every player that commits to VCU and vice versa?
There‘s a different between 2 to 1 odds and 200 to 1 odds. All chances aren’t created equal. If you don’t understand this, then I’d like to start placing some bets against you.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I think this season and next will tell us more. Rhoades has his players, highly rated players at that, if we get through without catastrophic injuries, these should be the best years yet under Rhoades. What that will mean in wins/losses and as I am hoping a deep run in the NCAAs is yet to be seen.
IMO, anything less than an NCAA Tournament appearance this year and his seat should be scorching hot at the least.

IMO, anything less than an NCAA Tournament appearance this year and his seat should be scorching hot at the least.
Agreed. There’s been a lot of excuses. We get there’s been injuries, covid, etc though one could argue covid saved Rhoades from being in serious trouble. The A10 tourney cancelled one year and underperforming years being allowed to slide because of a injury. Lots of people let last year slide even though we had Ace back earlier than expected and had plenty of chances to get a NCAA bid. Last year I got ripped week after week for pointing out I was concerned with our offensive issues in wins stating that if we had a off game defensively we were in trouble. Unfortunately I got to see that game come to fruition in DC (Credit to the few after that were willing to admit they were wrong..) We’ve honestly given Rhoades more passes than any coach. Some are justified and other times I think it’s simply a soft spot for Rhoades. I don’t think a random coach at this point would getting nearly the same passes. As I noted earlier there were quite a few calling for Shaka’s head in year 2. If the F4 doesn’t happen RN would have been in full fire mode.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider

t23e3

Elite Member
people forget ace, Nunn, deloach, etc were no where near top 100. This is not a strong indicator of success. sure there is a correlation, but treveon graham was barely top 400 in the country coming out of high school. point being the coaching staff gets the best players they can coming out of high school regardless of ranking.
You're not wrong, but Ace was actually a mid-high 4* at one point in his recruitment, his ranking slowly kept dropping after he committed to us IIRC. Nunn was top 150 close to a 4* by 247.

Ramdog

Elite Member
I‘d go the exact opposite way. The transfer portal provides an opportunity. As Littlefinger would say, chaos is a ladder. We should continue shooting for the stars. If we miss, then we become a transfer portal destination. There’s going to be more and more good talent available with a year or two of college experience to use in the evaluation process. IMO, it would be an awful idea to give up on the clearly more talented players and settle on recruits where the competition is weaker. The landscape has certainly changed, but we need to find a course through it that continues to be very aggressive.
Portal=opportunities

need to be active and successful …it will be a great equalizer

ramluvr99

Insider
You're not wrong, but Ace was actually a mid-high 4* at one point in his recruitment, his ranking slowly kept dropping after he committed to us IIRC. Nunn was top 150 close to a 4* by 247.
true, for some reason I remember Nunn being lower, and I'm not sure how ace's ranking progressed (or degressed) overtime, but he was 249 by the time he committed to us. Nevertheless swap out those two with any of the guys below, and point still stands.

BGDragoon80

Insider

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Wasn't Deriante a top 100 kid out of Hargrave Military Academy? Tarique has some work to do to match Deriante.
We'll see how Tarique progresses in his graduate year. I'd have to double check it, but I don't think Deri was a top 100 going into his graduate year. Tarique has a ways to go to get there "for sure."

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Absolutely, I am expecting not only NCAA with this group but winning games in the NCAAT. Anything less will be disappointing.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
As I noted earlier there were quite a few calling for Shaka’s head in year 2. If the F4 doesn’t happen RN would have been in full fire mode.
I remember having a terse conversation (well it really wasn't a conversation as I talked and Norwood looked at me like I was a crazy man), with Norwood after a unexplainable lose at the SC one night. I think I was madder at Mike Jones. But anyway, I have calmed way down since then.