Welcome to VCU, Tarique Foster!

2012Ram

Elite Member
Briante Weber (love this game)

christoph-waltz.gif

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
People love pointing out the exceptions while ignoring the vast majority that don’t work out.
Michael Gilmore was ranked #77 in the 2014 class and was basically a bust.
Lavar Batts was initially a top 100 signing for VCU in the 2017 class. He decommitted after the coaching change and went on to score just over 600 points at NC State and UNC Asheville.

While I do love seeing us sign players who have BIG offers (like Fatts Billups), big offers aren't the end all be all. Recruiting is a two-way street.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I definitely trust the staff's ability regarding out of high school recruiting. In my opinion, starting with the 2018 class (first full year of recruiting), the only miss was PJ Byrd. I badly wanted PJ to succeed, but I felt that the A10 was too big for him.

I feel as if all of the other freshman from the last four classes have been A10/VCU level players. J-Mac has been hurt a bunch, but I saw a ton of promise in Feb 2020 when he played a fair amount. The jury is still out on Banks, but I had more faith in Banks as a freshman than when Byrd was a freshman.

With that said, Foster has a VCU level frame. I trust the staff in bringing him in and being a contributor.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Hopefully the extra year at Putnam will give him a chance to put some weight on him and let him work on his game...particularly his outside shot. He shot 29% from 3 pnt range last year. Overall, 41% shooting.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I definitely trust the staff's ability regarding out of high school recruiting. In my opinion, starting with the 2018 class (first full year of recruiting), the only miss was PJ Byrd. I badly wanted PJ to succeed, but I felt that the A10 was too big for him.

I feel as if all of the other freshman from the last four classes have been A10/VCU level players. J-Mac has been hurt a bunch, but I saw a ton of promise in Feb 2020 when he played a fair amount. The jury is still out on Banks, but I had more faith in Banks as a freshman than when Byrd was a freshman.

With that said, Foster has a VCU level frame. I trust the staff in bringing him in and being a contributor.
It's also good to note that our last player from the Bronx, Melvin Johnson, only had two P5 offers prior to committing to VCU - Miami (who had just failed to make the NCAA tournament the previous year) and Virginia Tech (who fired Seth Greenberg the previous year). He went on to become one of the most prolific scorers in school history. Not saying that Tarique is going to be another Melvin, but offers aren't exactly the be-all end-all.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
It's also good to note that our last player from the Bronx, Melvin Johnson, only had two P5 offers prior to committing to VCU - Miami (who had just failed to make the NCAA tournament the previous year) and Virginia Tech (who fired Seth Greenberg the previous year). He went on to become one of the most prolific scorers in school history. Not saying that Tarique is going to be another Melvin, but offers aren't exactly the be-all end-all.
I'm basically looking at him as next year's Toby, albeit with a slightly higher profile. Glad to have him.

SteveMM

Elite Member
I'm basically looking at him as next year's Toby, albeit with a slightly higher profile. Glad to have him.
I'm going to guess he'll be a little more polished than Lawal. Foster plays AAU ball, is on a prep team, and I'm sure he's been playing at a high level for many years. Lawal played one year of prep ball and before that was in England, where they don't have the basketball infrastructure and coaching that we have.