Welcome to VCU, Tarique Foster!

BGDragoon80

Insider
Kids from New York tend to always bring another level of toughness. Welcome aboard!
In addition, he was shot which probably gives him another level of toughness. I trust our coaching staff in offering him the scholarship.

Mistachill

Elite Member
It's also good to note that our last player from the Bronx, Melvin Johnson, only had two P5 offers prior to committing to VCU - Miami (who had just failed to make the NCAA tournament the previous year) and Virginia Tech (who fired Seth Greenberg the previous year). He went on to become one of the most prolific scorers in school history. Not saying that Tarique is going to be another Melvin, but offers aren't exactly the be-all end-all.
But to be fair, Melvin was a four star prospect: https://247sports.com/player/melvin-johnson-15642/

I don't get as caught up in stars as some others, but I think it's safe to say Melvin was a much higher rated prospect than Foster from what I've seen so far.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Fordham is a picky school. They do not have the stature of Columbia, or NYU but in the city they are highly regarded. There are quite a number of reasons why Fordham didnt offer.

It could be that he, his family, and his Coach said no to Fordham. Heck he lives in the Bronx. Fordham could have said no to him, he lives in the Bronx.

The kids big, bouncy, and Mike and crew likes him enough to make him the first signee.

What's not to love.

Fordham is the dregs of the a10, my son's high school gym looks better than their arena.

I'm not sure why they are being used as a measuring stick here.

That said. Ty-laur Johson made an official
there

so who knows.
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Fordham is the dregs of the a10, my son's high school gym looks better than their arena.

I'm not sure why they are being used as a measuring stick here.

That said. Ty-laur Johson made an official
there

so who knows.
🤷‍♂️
They aren’t being used as a measuring stick. They’re one of many local schools that didn’t offer a hometown kid that plays at a reputable school. He’s not in a place where he would/could fly under the radar. I do have a concern that lots of coaches have seen him and so few have offered. It may be nothing, but there’s typically a reason for such things.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
They aren’t being used as a measuring stick. They’re one of many local schools that didn’t offer a hometown kid that plays at a reputable school. He’s not in a place where he would/could fly under the radar. I do have a concern that lots of coaches have seen him and so few have offered. It may be nothing, but there’s typically a reason for such things.

Again, he was a shooting victim at a high school graduation party, which kept him out commission for several months as the bullet came very close to hitting an artery.

Even under normal circumstances though, I would have thought the same thing about new york. Apparently, player in the Bronx though are under exposed.

Listen to the Ty-laur johnson interview

His trainer touches on it..

Last edited:

Mistachill

Elite Member

Not that I'm making any comparisons, but I will remind people that another New Yorker we're familiar with had a similar path at this stage of his development. His name is Obi Toppin. Had zero offers in high school, did a year of prep school, got a mid-major offer, two years later national college player of the year.

Some dudes are late bloomers. I have no idea what this kid's potential is. Just saying...

Not saying this is the formula we should be banking on with our recruiting, but stuff happens. Sometimes a coach can spot something others are missing. And sometimes they're wrong and the coaches who had no interest were right. Who knows?

Last edited:
Start spreadin' the news .... in 1984, the Rams were something of "the home team" at the NCAA Regional at East Rutherford, NJ .... Rams featured three players from greater Gotham, Calvin Duncan, Mike Schlegel and Don Franco ... the crowd was about 18,000 and many not wearing black 'n' gold were rooting for the Rams. It was a nice feeling RE: recruiting "stars." gimmeabreak. the so-called experts find out who is recruiting who and attach an equivalent "star" to the report ... for example, if they discover UNC is recruiting a kid, they give a 4." If it's Boston College, the same kid gets a "3." If it appears he might be headed to UMass, he's a "2." VCU prospects would seem to average out at about 2.8, even if they're better than the "4" going to Chapel Hill.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
The overwhelming feeling of fear when facing a gun in your face and/or bullets flying at you, when you know or have a good idea of the intent of the person holding the gun, has a better chance than not of changing a person into a different person.