Welcome to VCU, Tarique Foster!

rammad90

Elite Member
I think there are two separate issues some are merging as one. Stating valid facts and being negative are two separate matters. I'm not sure how if a post isn't glowingly positive it's considered negative.

Which posts would you consider to be "negative?" And are you suggesting blind optimism 24/7?

In this situation you have a recruit who isn't rated with little evidence of an impressive offer list, I don't see why being neutral is unreasonable unless somebody is deep into the recruiting weeds and has seen the kid's talent or potential first hand.
Well stating facts can sometimes be hurtful. Stating facts that are hurtful that serve no real purpose are simply hurtful statements.

If we are critiquing a guys ability to play over another player sure but there is fine line.

As to your proposition of someone being in the 'weeds and has seen the kid's talent" well we have that. Its called the Coaching Staff. They've been in the weeds, they've evacuated the kids talent, and if you think about it Mike has about 2 mil on the line if he blows decisions like these. Believe me those guys are in the weeds.

However, the over excited, all things Black And Gold reviews IMO are just as bad. We as fans should be able to critique a player. I remember staging I didnt think a certain former players was a great at his position. Still dont, that didnt mean I didnt think he was a baller, or that I didnt think he added value. Wasnt trying to be hurtful. Just pointing out that compared with those at the position before him he was in that mode. However, thought the player the team, and future pro teams.

My point is its okay to critique we just shouldnt try to tear a guy done, or get personal. Now I am not saying this is being done. But hey.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
For those who think we are just filling a spot

"VCU hopped in and offered the lengthy 6-8 wing in July, and Foster was gripped by the relationship he built with the Rams’ staff, particularly assistant coach J.D. Byers. In turn, Foster, two weeks after taking an official visit to VCU, committed to the Rams on Monday.

He’s the first member of VCU’s 2023 recruiting class, set to join the program next year, after a postgraduate season at Putnam Science Academy in Connecticut.

They have a plan for me,” Foster said Wednesday, of VCU. “They’re really invested in me.”

"

But the visit to VCU, which Foster took with his sister Treanda, furthered his feelings about the Rams. It felt natural.

“You need to keep in mind going on these visits, go where they love you not where they need you, you know?” Foster said.
Foster, from Cardinal Hayes, is used to running the floor and guarding multiple positions which would seem to make for a smooth fit at VCU. The Cardinals pressed and trapped, and Foster was good at those things, Lods said.

At Putnam, Foster hopes to get better in all aspects before he arrives in Richmond.".

Putnam Science went 38-0 last year and one the prep national championship last year. He going to start on a loaded team. He's going to blow up but we've already signed him!!

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Another generational talent?
asking for a friend
Lol! Well. Let's be accurate. I've only used the phrase "generational talent" in conjuction with one 2023 prospect - Elmarko Jackson...and I said he would be a general talent in the context of VCU history. It is an accurate statement because Elmarko is a 4* consensus Top 25-30 prospect who has thus far visiting places like Miami, Kansas, Texas thus weekend...VCU hasn't had anyone ranked that high since Kendrick Warren.

At the time, we were on him early and Bones with vcu members of Tressigang(Ace and Jamir) were lobbying him personally to come to VCU as late as mid August...

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I would rather spread objectivity (knowing that too is subjective). I don't see a problem with balance and I don't really see anything on this thread that is particularly out of bounds, unless the expectation is to believe every recruit who commits will be an all-time great (yeah, I'm looking at you DL ;)).

Personally I welcome the kid and if MR sees something in him that he thinks will help the program I'm willing to wait and see (just like every recruit including the 4 stars). But let's be honest, unless you see everything through black and gold colored glasses is it realistic to expect fans to throw a parade for a recruit if the tangible info about him is pretty limited?

And I guarantee, if the kid blows up this season and creates a buzz, fan enthusiasm will elevate.
Understand objectivity, but sometimes you can't say something positive about anything on here without someone having to try to squash it. I've been there, done that, lived that way, wasn't very happy. Optimism is just a better way for me to live.
BTW, I don't think I've said anything about Ty that hasn't been objective. I see a guy who can do a lot of things we're looking for and has a lot of potential. Yes, it's still unfulfilled at D1 level. I say that from watching him play whole games against quality opposition, not from trying to figure out from his offer list which is honestly weak.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Lol! Well. Let's be accurate. I've only used the phrase "generational talent" in conjuction with one 2023 prospect - Elmarko Jackson...and I said he would be a general talent in the context of VCU history. It is an accurate statement because Elmarko is a 4* consensus Top 25-30 prospect who has thus far visiting places like Miami, Kansas, Texas thus weekend...VCU hasn't had anyone ranked that high since Kendrick Warren.

At the time, we were on him early and Bones with vcu members of Tressigang(Ace and Jamir) were lobbying him personally to come to VCU as late as mid August...
I get confused…we have a generation talent…a program changer.. a Len Bias upside guy…hard to keep all this straight

Mistachill

Elite Member
Understand objectivity, but sometimes you can't say something positive about anything on here without someone having to try to squash it. I've been there, done that, lived that way, wasn't very happy. Optimism is just a better way for me to live.
BTW, I don't think I've said anything about Ty that hasn't been objective. I see a guy who can do a lot of things we're looking for and has a lot of potential. Yes, it's still unfulfilled at D1 level. I say that from watching him play whole games against quality opposition, not from trying to figure out from his offer list which is honestly weak.
This is a sports forum. I don't think it's fair to draw parallels with how fans discuss and debate sports with how they live their lives.

And the reality is this kid is so relatively unknown that none of us can objectively say much about his potential either way unless you are really deep in the recruiting weeds. But if you've got more in depth intel or have a level expertise in NYC high school hoops the rest of us are lacking and you're excited about the commitment, I'm not going to question your point of view. However, do you not think it's also understandable that others are questioning if the program should be past the point of recruiting players who are not rated (not that I agree or disagree)?

How many whole games have you actually watched and how did you determine he was playing against quality competition? I'm not saying what you said is not legit, just curious. And if he's playing against quality comp in NYC and performing well, how is he not rated? Doesn't add up. Like I said previously, if MR sees something in him that may blow up in the coming years, time will tell.

Again, I'm in wait and see mode with all of our new guys. So I'm not going to put down or gas up anybody (unless he's an obvious top level recruit).

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I get confused…we have a generation talent…a program changer.. a Len Bias upside guy…hard to keep all this straight

6'8" Tobi with a 45" vertical.

That is Bias territory.

"Bias measured 6’8 and 220 pounds. He was an explosive athlete with a vertical leap well above 40 inches. ".

Ramaholic

Elite Member
With the transfer portal so active and widely used now, maybe start picking talented kids (albeit less stars) that really fit the system, want to be here and we have a good feeling about in terms of not feeling jaded if they don't start or get enough PT in the first 2 years? There is no guarantee on anything, but the landscape of recruiting has changed in the past few years. I think schools that put together teams that dont have half the kids cycling out in 1-2 years is a solid strategy -especially at our MM level.

Last edited: